Apple AR headset may require monthly software subscription, claims researchers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Based on how current popular AR headsets are priced, Trendforce analysts predict that the forthcoming Apple AR device will come with a monthly subscription.

Apple's first AR headset has consistently been predicted to cost $1,000, $2,000, or $3,000. For the first time, though, Trendforce analysts are now speculating that it will require an additional monthly subscription.

According to Trendforce, currently the "commercial market is dominated" by the HoloLens 2. The company expects that, "strong shipments" of Oculus and Microsoft devices "will likely force Apple to release relevant products to join the competition this year."

"However... considering hardware performance requirements and gross profit margins, Apple will likely target the commercial market and adopt the same pricing strategy as HoloLens," continues the report.

Trendforce expects "hardware priced in the thousands of dollars." It also predicts "a monthly subscription-based software solution" on top of that.

Currently, the HoloLens 2 hardware is sold by Microsoft as a one-time purchase. At times other firms are either leasing it, or purchasing on an installment plan.

There are subscriptions involving HoloLens 2, but they appear to be solely for third-party apps. Since any AR or VR headset will require apps, Trendforce appears to be assuming Apple itself will follow third-party HoloLens 2 developers in charging an app subscription.

HoloLens 2 is marketed at industry and commercial users. Although Apple is known more for consumer devices, other previous rumors have said its first AR/VR headset will be aimed at businesses.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    When these finally get released, I may actually be more excited to see how many of these so-called experts ended up being wrong than I will be for the headset itself. 
    lkruppbeowulfschmidtpatchythepiratelmasantibyronlmattinozFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Since xserve, Apple had not released a single hardware product that is focusing on commercial market, I highly doubt if they will do it now.  

High end commercial product is high price but low volume. Apple rather sell mid-price but high volume. Just look at how often they update Mac Pro give you an idea.  
    maximaraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Japhey said:
    When these finally get released, I may actually be more excited to see how many of these so-called experts ended up being wrong than I will be for the headset itself. 
    Everybody is just trying to make a living you know. My question has always been if the experts are consistently wrong about Apple are they still experts?
    lmasantibyronlmattinozFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I've been considering a Quest for some time, but have been put off by the apparent need for an FB account. I don't know anything about Apple's rumored AR glasses and what they'll do compared to Quest VR, but I won't be doing another Apple subscription.

I'm pretty fed up with subscriptions, but as they're the way of the future, I'll have to be very picky.
    byronl
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Trendforce likely has guessed very wrong here. It is far more likely that Apple will be targeting developers with the new headset for the first year. It is even possible that Apple will subsidize the cost of the headset so developers can afford them (as it did with the M1 Mac Mini prototype). I expect that the headset's biggest issue will not be the cost or a subscription. It will be whether or not a developer can get one. Apple does not really target the enterprise market any more other than with software features for otherwise consumer products.
    byronl
  • Reply 6 of 13
    lmasanti said:
    Thinking that Apple will ‘copy’ HoloLens strategy is… obviously… possible…

…the same way that Apple…
    …copied mp3 players with the iPod…
    …copied BlackBerry with the iPhone…
    …copied Microsoft and HP tablets with the iPad…
    …copied some ‘watch’ with the Apple Watch…
    …copied Intel with the M1 chip…
    ...ummm,
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    Not even close.  
    OutdoorAppDeveloper
  • Reply 7 of 13
    ricmac said:
    lmasanti said:

...ummm,
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    Not even close.  
    Exactly. It is the fact that Apple didn't copy those other products which made it the most valuable company in the world.
    Many companies did copy those products. None of them are worth 2.73 trillion dollars.
    byronl
  • Reply 8 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    lkrupp said:
    Japhey said:
    Everybody is just trying to make a living you know. My question has always been if the experts are consistently wrong about Apple are they still experts?
    Yes the intent is not to be right but to move apple stock price in a certain direction. I assume if they can cause a small blip down to buy and then another one up to sell they can make money on rented capital 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    A hardware that is crippled with the requirement for a software subscription sounds very un-Apple-like.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ricmac said:
    lmasanti said:

...ummm,
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    ...Nope...
    Not even close.  
    I believe your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 13

mattinoz said:
    lkrupp said:
    Japhey said:
    Yes the intent is not to be right but to move apple stock price in a certain direction. I assume if they can cause a small blip down to buy and then another one up to sell they can make money on rented capital 
    They can make money whichever direction the price moves, just so long as it does move. No need to buy low and sell high on the object itself, just on the derivative.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    This doesn’t sound right. Maybe an optional subscription to NextVR content or XR games in Apple Arcade.
    edited February 2022