Apple still hasn't made Dutch App Store changes despite $28M in fines

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    sdw2001 said:
    techconc said:
    DAalseth said:
    Maybe Apple has decided that €50 million is just the cost of doing business. 
    Yeah, just to do a little perspective on this.  Using the back of the napkin math...   Apple made $34.6 Billion USD profit last quarter.  Convert to Euros, that's 30.6+ Billion Euros.  Divide by 90 (days in the quarter) and that's 340+ million Euros profit per day or roughly 14+ million Euros per hour they make in profit.  So, the maximum fine represents the profit Apple makes in about 3 hours.  I suspect they can't be bothered by such nonsense.  

Exactly.  I'll go even further...I don't see anywhere that Apple has actually paid any of the fines.  What will the Netherlands do about it? Send it to collections?  Put people in jail? I hope Apple really is ignoring them.  In fact, I think they should threaten to pull out of the country completely.  Apple is currently worth 50% more than that country's entire economy (1.6 Trillion to $1 Trillion).  Let that sink in.  
    ...and, you mean that Apple's size mean they can do whatever they want?

Sure, Apple can leave. But, if not, the same argument is often used about the App Store: if you want to sell here, you have to play by the rules 
    avon b7FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamurahara
  • Reply 22 of 23
    sdw2001 said:
    techconc said:
    DAalseth said:
    Maybe Apple has decided that €50 million is just the cost of doing business. 
    Yeah, just to do a little perspective on this.  Using the back of the napkin math...   Apple made $34.6 Billion USD profit last quarter.  Convert to Euros, that's 30.6+ Billion Euros.  Divide by 90 (days in the quarter) and that's 340+ million Euros profit per day or roughly 14+ million Euros per hour they make in profit.  So, the maximum fine represents the profit Apple makes in about 3 hours.  I suspect they can't be bothered by such nonsense.  

Exactly.  I'll go even further...I don't see anywhere that Apple has actually paid any of the fines.  What will the Netherlands do about it? Send it to collections?  Put people in jail? I hope Apple really is ignoring them.  In fact, I think they should threaten to pull out of the country completely.  Apple is currently worth 50% more than that country's entire economy (1.6 Trillion to $1 Trillion).  Let that sink in.  
    How would Apple’s valuation change if Apple starts pulling its business from multiple countries where it has some legal ‘discussion’?
    Let that sink in. 

muthuk_vanalingam