Eve Water Guard updated with support for Thread

Posted:
in General Discussion
The HomeKit-enabled Eve Water Guard has been updated today with support for Thread connectivity.

Eve Water Guard
Eve Water Guard

Designed for the bathroom, basement, laundry room, and under sinks, the Eve Water Guard aims to help prevent costly repair bills stemming from water damage.

Eve has continued to update its expansive product line with Thread support with the new Eve Water Guard. It sports the same design as the original iteration but now can connect to your Thread network as well as Bluetooth.

Thread is an emerging connectivity standard that requires little energy and is able to create a self-healing mesh network with other Thread devices in your home. Most battery-powered Thread devices act as endpoints while many with persistent power -- like the wall-plug adorned Eve Water Guard -- are able to act as router nodes and extend the network further.

This version of the Eve Water Guard, like the last one, plugs into a standard wall outlet and features a two-meter sensing cable that can detect water. If the cable makes contact with liquid, it will illuminate a status light on the Eve Water Guard itself, and send a notification to your phone alerting you.

The cable can be extended further to cover larger rooms, all the way up to 150m.

The updated Eve Water Guard is available now from Eve for $99.95.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Why can't we have a simple light switch/dimmer?  Is it just me or aren't these the #1 use case for automation devices??????
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    I want this, but only if it is fully Matter compatible.

Is Thread compatibility = Matter compatibility?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    crofford said:
    Why can't we have a simple light switch/dimmer?  Is it just me or aren't these the #1 use case for automation devices??????
    A reasonable number of these exist for HomeKit, and Eve also offers at least one: https://www.apple.com/ios/home/accessories/#section-switches ;
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    cg27 said:

This is a good question! Thread support doesn't imply support for Matter. But as Thread is the current preferred connectivity method for Matter devices, it is often conflated. That said, Eve has promised their whole lineup will support Matter, so yes -- in this case I'd say this will support Matter. For HomeKit users, it won't make too much of a difference though.
    watto_cobracg27
  • Reply 5 of 5
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    cg27 said:

This is a good question! Thread support doesn't imply support for Matter. But as Thread is the current preferred connectivity method for Matter devices, it is often conflated. That said, Eve has promised their whole lineup will support Matter, so yes -- in this case I'd say this will support Matter. For HomeKit users, it won't make too much of a difference though.
    Thank you, that helps tremendously since the Eve site for this device only indicated that Thread is a pillar of Matter.
    Andrew_OSU