Video iPod and Mysterious Plastics...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I've got a friend of mine who works for TI out of Dallas, and he told me recently that Apple selected one of their chips for use in a video-enabled iPod.

Given the recent discussion around the 'Tablet' form factor; is there a chance that this will actually be the video iPod that my friend mentioned-especially since it may be able to support a 16:9 aspect ratio?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    more likely, the chip is the new one from TI called....(crud i forget the name) that does wifi and bluetooth on the chip.

its also low power which is perf for handhelds...

anyone? or am wrong about a new TI chip....
  • Reply 2 of 27
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

more likely, the chip is the new one from TI called....(crud i forget the name) that does wifi and bluetooth on the chip.

its also low power which is perf for handhelds...

anyone? or am wrong about a new TI chip....

Don't know about the BlueTooth but low-power WIFi (on standby) was released in Sept. 2002
  • Reply 3 of 27
    its called: TI OMAP processors along with wanda (wireless anywher yaddda yadd)

http://focus.ti.com/docs/pr/pressrel...prelId=sc03066

excerpt:

TI´s WANDA PDA concept design integrates a variety of TI´s leading wireless technologies, including:

TI´s OMAP1510 application processor, delivering the performance and power efficiency needed to enable rich multimedia applications._

TI´s BRF6100, the industry´s first 0.13u Bluetooth single chip solution to integrate digital RF processing (DRP), resulting in significant reductions to power, total solution size and cost_.

TI´s TNETW1100B, an 802.11b MAC/Baseband processor specifically designed for mobile/embedded wireless LAN applications (PDAs, smartphones, cell phones). The TNETW1100B leverages TI´s industry-leading ELPTM_technology for significant battery-life savings and provides the ultimate combination of small size, low-cost and superior range-rate performance._

TI´s TCS2100 GSM/GPRS chipset, which includes a high-performance digital baseband, a highly-integrated analog baseband with complete power management functions, along with a rich software suite, including a complete GPRS/GSM protocol stack.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    The WANDA concept design will be available in April 2003.

hmmm NAB private show? video?

interesting...
  • Reply 5 of 27
    ...hmmm, iPhone rumours and this chip =?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    guess we will know in a week?

its on the 7th correct? (the press conference at nab)
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Ahhh, but I would like to remind you, "I'm making plastics right now."
  • Reply 8 of 27
  • Reply 9 of 27
    does anyone else get the feeling that if it has "pod' in the name, it will not run OSX but instead some pixeo branch?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    in the spirit of blank posts
  • Reply 11 of 27
    So if I'm reading this correctly, the iPod could have 802.11 technology built into it? What if you could purchase songs through Apple's music service when connected to the Internet? Or use the Rendezvous-enabled music sharing feature that Steve Jobs showed off a while back? To share with your or another's computer. THAT would be worth the wait.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

does anyone else get the feeling that if it has "pod' in the name, it will not run OSX but instead some pixeo branch?

Hmm, I'd say for something like a picture viewer, mac os x is overkill. But, if it is supposed to function as a computer (which i doubt) mac os x would make the most sense . The pod name would most likely be like a dld... not a computer...
  • Reply 13 of 27
    but i want overkill
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

but i want overkill

Of course, if this is meant the be their tablet, it will most likely be Mac OS X... somehow I wouldnt say a tablet would be a "video ipod."

Somehow I feel this is an elaborate April Fools joke... curse this DAY!!!!!!!!! lol - a little American culture for you Europeans.

NOTE: Yes, when I posted this in Colorado, it was still April 1st.

Oh well, back to making plastics right now.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    American Culture? Don't think so.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

in the spirit of blank posts

<AOL/>

</AOL>
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

American Culture? Don't think so.

Yes, I am familiar with the story, but what I meant is it's only celebrated in the US.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    chienachiena Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

Yes, I am familiar with the story, but what I meant is it's only celebrated in the US.

<<Sigh>>

Not so...

Sometimes I think it's sweet how Americans think that all Western culture is their own, sometimes it worries me.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChienA

<<Sigh>>

Not so...

Sometimes I think it's sweet how Americans think that all Western culture is their own, sometimes it worries me.

<RANT>

Sometimes it worries me that people can get so off topic, and not even realizing it...

</RANT>
  • Reply 20 of 27
    chienachiena Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

<RANT>

Sometimes it worries me that people can get so off topic, and not even realizing it...

</RANT>

OK - apologies for that - I was just thinking it was a bit sad that I finally registered to post and that was my first post....

So who here would actually watch video on either an iPod sized device or the rumoured tablet form? I spent a few happy hours as a lodger watching DVDs on my TiBook a couple of years back but I couldn't concieve of taking such conspicuous gear out in public (apart, maybe, from a relatively secure place like a plane) for a period long enough to watch even a 30 minute sitcom episode.

And at home we got "proper" DVD / Video players...

</redemption?>