Apple's new AirTag anti-stalking features are in the latest iOS 15.4 beta

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2022
Apple has introduced some of its promised AirTag anti-stalking features in the latest beta version of the company's upcoming iOS 15.4 update.

AirTag anti-stalking features
AirTag anti-stalking features

In response to reports of AirTag misuse, Apple earlier in February announced a slate of changes and updates aimed at bolstering the accessory's anti-stalking features. At the time, Apple said the features would arrive in a future software update.

On Tuesday, Apple released the fourth beta version of the upcoming iOS 15.4 update. According to early reports, some of the promised changes have surfaced in the latest beta.

For example, Apple has added new messaging to the AirTag setup screen advising users that "using [AirTag] to track people without their consent is a crime in many regions around the world." It also notes that AirTag is designed to be detectable by victims and to enable law enforcement to identify their owners.

In addition, MacRumors has confirmed that Apple has made other AirTag changes in the new beta build, including addressing a bug that may have confused users. Specifically, the issue was an "Unknown Accessory Alert" that was only able to be triggered by various AirPods or Find My accessories -- not AirTags.

Apple has made other minor changes, including removing the ability to disable Item Safety Alerts. Instead, Apple has added the options to customize tracking notifications and Find My network notifications.

The anti-stalking mechanisms, which will likely debut in iOS 15.4, are only part of a broader slate of solutions for AirTag misuse. Later in 2022, Apple says it will release other features like Precision Finding for unknown AirTags and more noticeable AirTag beeping.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    How about sharing my AirTag with my family so I can put tags on my dog’s collar?!   
    PetrolDavefred1
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Okay. Good. It's established that you can easily link an Airtag to its registered owner, which is the only person that can view the device's location. Can we get rid of some of the more obnoxious anti-stalking mechanisms please? I mean, nobody wants to get stalked, I get it, but it's getting in the way of legitimate use of the device. Since you can easily find the info of who it is registered to, that should alleviate some of the concern.

Besides, if you use an Airtag to stalk someone when the device can easily point a finger back at you, you might just be an idiot.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Last evening I suddenly started receiving notices that one of my husband’s AirTags was following me. Geez, we just got back home after going on a medical call together. There has to be a way to say that spouse’s AirTags are okay and not stalking. My phone kept popping up long into the night even after dismissing. Of course, I realize that pendulums swing far to both sides until they settle in the middle. 
    fred1
  • Reply 4 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    pslice said:
    Last evening I suddenly started receiving notices that one of my husband’s AirTags was following me. Geez, we just got back home after going on a medical call together. There has to be a way to say that spouse’s AirTags are okay and not stalking. My phone kept popping up long into the night even after dismissing. Of course, I realize that pendulums swing far to both sides until they settle in the middle. 
    Apple's documents say there's a way to turn off alerts if you are in the same Family Sharing group:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-off-airtag-alerts-when-someone-borrows-your-1847424956

Tapping the alert should have the option to disable them indefinitely. I don't know why they don't just have it as an option the first time you get the alert for anyone.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    It get’s funny when your family lives in different countries and cannot be “family” in the Apple universe. In Europe that is not that unusual at all. 

Marvin said:
    pslice said:
    Apple's documents say there's a way to turn off alerts if you are in the same Family Sharing group:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-off-airtag-alerts-when-someone-borrows-your-1847424956

Tapping the alert should have the option to disable them indefinitely. I don't know why they don't just have it as an option the first time you get the alert for anyone.

• Reply 6 of 8
    Notice how the more media attention this gets, the more incidents of it are reported?
    The media has been directly responsible for 99% of AirTags stalking incidents since this began.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    it's a good step but, if someone wanted to couldn't they buy an unlocked iphone from craigslist (or the like), activate it on a prepaid sim that you can do without ID, signup for a bogus icloud account and render this feature useless?? keep in mind you are talking about someone crazy enough to want to stalk another person so these steps to do it without getting caught isn't crazy... 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The whole reason for me putting an AirTag on my expensive bike is to be able to find it when it is "lost".
    If the "finder" gets warned that the bike has a tag it becomes useless.
    Can I get a refund for a now totally useless item of apple stuff ?
    appleinsideruser