Qualcomm promises lossless Bluetooth audio with new chipset

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2022
Qualcomm has announced a new generation of sound platforms that could introduce new capabilities like lossless audio, lower latency, and improved Bluetooth performance.

Credit: Qualcomm
Credit: Qualcomm

The chipmaker on Monday unveiled the new S3 and S5 sound platforms with support for the company's Snapdragon Sound technology. Both chips sport both Bluetooth wireless audio and the latest LE Audio standards.

The audio accessories sporting the new S3 and S5 chip will be enabled on devices equipped with Qualcomm's Snapdragon Sound technology. Samsung, OnePlus, and other Android makers include the tech, but two notable holdouts include Apple and Google.

As far as benefits on compatible hardware, Qualcomm says the new sound platforms will provide lossless, CD-quality audio, lower Bluetooth latency as low as 68 milliseconds, and better audio performance on phone calls.

For non-Apple users, the S3 and S5 sound platforms will also enable audio sharing, which could let users set up private streams that allow multiple devices to listen to the same audio simultaneously. Apple H1 and W1 chips already enable this capability, but other manufacturers haven't supported anything similar.

In addition, the new Qualcomm technology will bring improved active noise cancellation that the company says will do a much better job than previous generations. The improved ANC could include better power efficiency and the ability to adapt to noise conditions like wind or a poorly fitting earbud.

Although Apple and Qualcomm have a modem licensing agreement in place, the iPhone has been traditionally reluctant to adopt Qualcomm's aptX family of Bluetooth codecs. Given that Apple may also move away from Qualcomm modems entirely sometime in the future, the likelihood that Apple will adopt Snapdragon Sound in its own devices seems low.

Qualcomm says it'll provide the new sound platforms to customers such as Yamaha, Cambridge Audio, Master & Dynamic, and Audio-Technica by the end of the second half of 2022.

Read on AppleInsider
wwinter86

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We need better lossless Bluetooth audio in Car's infotainment system. Everyone experiences disconnect,dropping,cracking audio call when using car's bluetooth with your phone.

gregoriusmScot1byronl
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will use Qualcomm chips.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    wood1208 said:
    We need better lossless Bluetooth audio in Car's infotainment system. Everyone experiences disconnect,dropping,cracking audio call when using car's bluetooth with your phone.

None of those problems have anything to do with Lossless BT technology.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Ugh. Let Bluetooth die. It's the floppy disc of wireless technology. Need something new.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 5 of 18
    wood1208 said:

Hahahahaha! I see what you did there. But as others said, this has nothing to do with dropped signals.

If you're experiencing dropped signals, bear in mind that wireless signals *fight* with each other. Don't put wireless devices too close to each other. And turn off any wireless signals that you're not actively using. For example, if you have a cell phone that doesn't ever need Bluetooth, turn it off. Then it won't keep trying to search for other Bluetooth devices to connect to. One less signal for other devices to negotiate around.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    wwinter86 said:
    Apple will do their own implementation.  The next gen AirPods Pro are rumored to be coming later this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is when Apple introduced their own take on lossless BT.
    Beatsbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Appleish said:
    Ugh. Let Bluetooth die. It's the floppy disc of wireless technology. Need something new.
    Why? What is inherently bad with BT, and how would something else be better just because it is "new"?
    elijahgbyronl
  • Reply 8 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    wwinter86 said:

Thankfully.

Can’t wait to see what AirPlay brings.
    viclauyycbyronljony0
  • Reply 9 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Ditching QC entirely can't come soon enough for Apple.  QC knows that Apple will ditch them entirely, and that nasty lawsuit a couple years ago certainly helped speed that along.  QC may have a long-term contact negotiated with Apple, but for sure QC's stock will tank the moment Apple slams the door in QC's face.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    wwinter86 said:
    And when AirPods Pro 2 are released with the new H2, we’ll all be glad they didn’t. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    IreneW said:
    Appleish said:
    Why? What is inherently bad with BT, and how would something else be better just because it is "new"?
    For me personally sound quality and how easily it can be interfered with. I much prefer the sound quality that Wifi streaming offers and in my vehicles I am always plugged into a USB.

baconstangdanoxbyronl
  • Reply 12 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,862member
    wwinter86 said:
    Apple is in the process of kicking them out like Intel good riddance…..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,862member
    IreneW said:
    Appleish said:

A wired connection is always better faster cleaner, more reliable than over the air (Radio, BT or WiFi).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    MittyMitty Posts: 18member
    The technology (aptX Lossless) already exists on the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chips. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon-8-gen-1-mobile-platform ;

But I don't know of any well-known manufacturers that have implemented the technology into their headphones. 
    edited March 2022 byronl
  • Reply 15 of 18
    jcs2305 said:
    IreneW said:
    Appleish said:
    For me personally sound quality and how easily it can be interfered with. I much prefer the sound quality that Wifi streaming offers and in my vehicles I am always plugged into a USB.

Yes, compared to WiFi or a wired connection, there are obvious drawbacks to Bluetooth. But BT is surprisingly  well designed, robust and energy-efficient (especially the BLE version), which means it can be used in many situations where others can't. 

byronl
  • Reply 16 of 18
    danox said:
    IreneW said:
    Appleish said:

A wired connection is always better faster cleaner, more reliable than over the air (Radio, BT or WiFi).
    Well, wired is obviously not the answer to the "need" for "something new".
    edited March 2022 byronl
  • Reply 17 of 18
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    IreneW said:
    jcs2305 said:
    IreneW said:
    Appleish said:

Yes, compared to WiFi or a wired connection, there are obvious drawbacks to Bluetooth. But BT is surprisingly  well designed, robust and energy-efficient (especially the BLE version), which means it can be used in many situations where others can't. 

You missed the interference part of my answer. Another annoying thing that I didn't mention was multiple devices connecting randomly. I had a bluetooth speaker up in the 2nd level of my house from SoundFreaq, which when not in use was always on standby. If I was in the front of the house washing the car or clearing snow I would wear BT headphones. After 10-15 mins of listening on the headphones the sound would suddenly stop? My iPhone was in my pocket and if I would check the music was still playing, but no sound from my headphones? If I toggled BT off/on ( control center ) it would connect for a while and then the same thing would happen? I thought the headphones were malfunctioning and was ready to exchange them.

Eventually I went all the way into BT settings to try and forget the headphones and re-pair them before exchanging I noticed that my phone was connected to my Soundfreaq speaker and not the headphones I had been actively using?! I walked upstairs and sure enough when I turned the speaker on my music started to play? This seemed to happen with her phone and any other iPhone or device that I paired with that speaker. We could be sitting outback with my JBL outdoor speaker and..... out of nowhere music just stops playing. Eventually I unplugged the Soundfreaq when not in use, but that got annoying really quick.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    wwinter86 said:
    Apple will do their own implementation.  The next gen AirPods Pro are rumored to be coming later this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is when Apple introduced their own take on lossless BT.
    Apple will do something that is actually lossless. Despite it's name aptX Lossless is not. It degrades back to lossy if either the Bluetooth data rate drops due to interference or the audio is not losslessly compressible to fit in the ~1Mbit channel.

There is music out there which is quite similar to line noise and simply doesn't compress.
    watto_cobra