Microsoft OneDrive update coming soon will bring native Apple Silicon support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft has announced that an update to the OneDrive Mac app is coming shortly, and it will bring native Apple Silicon support.

In a blog post, Microsoft has announced general availability for an update that will allow its desktop OneDrive app to "run natively on Apple silicon." The binary update will come with build 22.022 of OneDrive for Mac.

Previously in June 2021, an Apple Silicon-native version of OneDrive for Mac was teased by Microsoft. Users at the time were able to run an Intel-based version of OneDrive with the Rosetta 2 conversion tool built into Macs with Apple Silicon.

Apple Silicon was first unveiled at WWDC 2020 with developer kits containing the new hardware architecture shipping to app developers shortly after. The first Mac models with Apple Silicon arrived in November 2020.

Competing cloud storage provider Dropbox has also been testing an Apple Silicon-native version of their app since January 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Is OneDrive available ONLY as part of Office365 or can you get it by itself?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    DAalseth said:
    At least on Windows PCs it's pre-installed. I assume it still has a basic free tier for macOS users like it had years ago when it debuted.

Of course, you could simply answer this question yourself with something called a "search of the Internet." I'm not going explain what that is nor do that for you. Neither should anyone else here.

I am happy to help people on the Internet with random tasks but one thing I balk on is to encourage them to be mindless, lazy slugs.

I hereby bow out of further discussion in this particular thread.

Best of luck.
    edited February 2022 rundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    The fact that Microsoft (and Dropbox) have had over a year to get their cloud-synching software finished, not to mention most likely had early news as to what was coming with MacOS and Apple silicon, with nothing yet is inexcusable and pathetic.  Considering how much money these two companies make in revenue, that they allocate so little to their engineering for such a crucial piece of software.  
    zimmermannwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Maybe they’ll get local syncing working again. Hasn’t worked since Monterey. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    DAalseth said:
    There's a free 5GB option, a $19.99/yr 100GB option, or you can get it in a bundle with either Office 365 or Microsoft 365, or in different business options.
    DAalseth
  • Reply 6 of 15
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:
    At least on Windows PCs it's pre-installed. I assume it still has a basic free tier for macOS users like it had years ago when it debuted.

Of course, you could simply answer this question yourself with something called a "search of the Internet." I'm not going explain what that is nor do that for you. Neither should anyone else here.

I am happy to help people on the Internet with random tasks but one thing I balk on is to encourage them to be mindless, lazy slugs.

Best of luck.
    Did that and all I found was stuff talking about how well it worked with Office365. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

Best of luck.
    Did that and all I found was stuff talking about how well it worked with Office365. 
    Did you try the obvious?  Type "onedrive.com" in your browser?  The information you crave is one click in.

Interestingly, I typed your exact question you asked here into Google (copy/paste) and the top answer was:

"Start your secure access, sharing, and file storage with OneDrive today. You can get OneDrive by itself or with a Microsoft 365 subscription."
    edited March 2022 ctt_zhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    sflocal said:
    The fact that Microsoft (and Dropbox) have had over a year to get their cloud-synching software finished, not to mention most likely had early news as to what was coming with MacOS and Apple silicon, with nothing yet is inexcusable and pathetic.  Considering how much money these two companies make in revenue, that they allocate so little to their engineering for such a crucial piece of software.  
    "inexcusable and pathetic"?  Did OneDrive or Dropbox stop working for you on M1?  Were you put out in any way by not having the AS version of these services?  Why so angry?

Many OneDrive users are reporting that one moment they are on Intel version (working just fine) and the next minute they are on AS with no down time.  Automagic upgrade from one working version to another.

edited March 2022 ctt_zh
  • Reply 9 of 15
    ctt_zhctt_zh Posts: 67member
    DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

Best of luck.
    Which search engine did you use?  A test using Bing returned the same results as ITGUYINSD got using Google (again using your exact question).
    edited March 2022 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    Once upon a time, there was this great folder syncing software called 'Dropbox.' It was multi-platform (Mac, Linux, Windows) and 'just worked.' 

I sure wish we could have that back again, but it seems everybody (including Apple!) is committed to making it impossible. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    rjackb2rjackb2 Posts: 6member
    blastdoor said:
    Once upon a time, there was this great folder syncing software called 'Dropbox.' It was multi-platform (Mac, Linux, Windows) and 'just worked.' 

I sure wish we could have that back again, but it seems everybody (including Apple!) is committed to making it impossible. 
    What problem are you having with Dropbox? I just switched back to Dropbox yesterday and it seems to be working fine. OneDrive is no longer useful for me since you can no longer automatically synchronize files automatically to local drives (they do have a "keep file on this machine" or some such option now but it doesn't cause the file to be automatically downloaded to my other machine--which is precisely what I need).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ctt_zh said:
    DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

Best of luck.
    Which search engine did you use?  A test using Bing returned the same results as ITGUYINSD got using Google (again using your exact question).
    That might be part of it. I have Safari set to use DuckDuckGo. 

ITGUYINSD said:
    DAalseth said:
    mpantone said:
    DAalseth said:

Best of luck.
    Did you try the obvious?  Type "onedrive.com" in your browser?  The information you crave is one click in.

Interestingly, I typed your exact question you asked here into Google (copy/paste) and the top answer was:

"Start your secure access, sharing, and file storage with OneDrive today. You can get OneDrive by itself or with a Microsoft 365 subscription."
    Yes. It appeared to mostly talk about how well it worked with O365. I got a real strong O365 sales push off the page. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    rjackb2 said:
    blastdoor said:

What problem are you having with Dropbox? I just switched back to Dropbox yesterday and it seems to be working fine. OneDrive is no longer useful for me since you can no longer automatically synchronize files automatically to local drives (they do have a "keep file on this machine" or some such option now but it doesn't cause the file to be automatically downloaded to my other machine--which is precisely what I need).
    My understanding (but happy to be proven wrong!) is that Dropbox will have no choice but to lose exactly that feature: 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/macos-12-3-will-break-cloud-storage-features-used-by-dropbox-and-onedrive/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    rjackb2rjackb2 Posts: 6member
    blastdoor said:
    rjackb2 said:
    blastdoor said:

My understanding (but happy to be proven wrong!) is that Dropbox will have no choice but to lose exactly that feature: 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/macos-12-3-will-break-cloud-storage-features-used-by-dropbox-and-onedrive/

My interpretation (which could be wrong but looks clear to me) of both the Ars Technica article and the Dropbox comment is that they don't support online only files (which I don't want): Ars Technica says "...the update is deprecating a kernel extension used by both apps to download files on demand. The extension means that files are available when you need them but don't take up space on your disk when you don't..." and Dropbox says "...For this release, Dropbox doesn't have full support for online-only files just yet...".  We'll see.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    rjackb2 said:
    blastdoor said:
    rjackb2 said:
    blastdoor said:

My interpretation (which could be wrong but looks clear to me) of both the Ars Technica article and the Dropbox comment is that they don't support online only files (which I don't want): Ars Technica says "...the update is deprecating a kernel extension used by both apps to download files on demand. The extension means that files are available when you need them but don't take up space on your disk when you don't..." and Dropbox says "...For this release, Dropbox doesn't have full support for online-only files just yet...".  We'll see.
    I very much hope you're right. I may have read the story through doom-colored glasses. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra