Giles Martin remasters The Beatles' '1' for Spatial Audio

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Beatles' compilation album "1" has been remastered for Spatial Audio on Apple Music by Giles Martin, son of the famed Beatles producer George Martin.

Giles Martin has previously praised Spatial Audio, and the Dolby Atmos that's it is built on, but said it doesn't always "sound quite right." Martin has said he intends to remaster The Beatles album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" because of this, but now he's done "1" instead.

According to Engadget, this compilation of Beatles hits has been entirely remastered by Martin. And the new Apple Music listing confirms the details.

"The Beatles' 1 was originally released in 2000 and quickly became the fastest-selling album of all time," says the updated Apple Music entry. "Featuring 27 of the band's most significant singles-- all of which reached No. 1 in the US or UK charts-- this updated edition now features brand-new mixes from Giles Martin, in Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos."

This new edition of "The Beatles" album "1" is now available to stream on Apple Music.

Read on AppleInsider
lolliverqwerty52

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    Glad to have it, but I really wish he had re-done Pepper first. He could apply whatever lessons learned there to 1 and Revolver, which I believe is next on the remastering schedule. 
    qwerty52
  • Reply 2 of 4

Martin has said he intends to remaster The Beatles album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" ... but now he's done "1" instead.
    The new Atmos version of Sgt Pepper was quietly uploaded in Nov 2021 - there wasn't an announcement, but the copyright on the mix changed to 2021 and it sounded better than the Atmos version that was originally on Apple.

Appleish said:
    Glad to have it, but I really wish he had re-done Pepper first. He could apply whatever lessons learned there to 1 and Revolver, which I believe is next on the remastering schedule. 
    If you haven't found them already, the Atmos mixes Giles made of Abbey Road and Let It Be are fun (and available!).
    Appleishqwerty52
  • Reply 3 of 4
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member

Martin has said he intends to remaster The Beatles album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" ... but now he's done "1" instead.
    The new Atmos version of Sgt Pepper was quietly uploaded in Nov 2021 - there wasn't an announcement, but the copyright on the mix changed to 2021 and it sounded better than the Atmos version that was originally on Apple.

Appleish said:
    If you haven't found them already, the Atmos mixes Giles made of Abbey Road and Let It Be are fun (and available!).
    Interesting. I missed that. I just looked and the "Remix" version is indeed dated 2021. The others are 2017. I have heard Abbey Road and Let It Be in Atmos. Thanks!
    thelemmingfaceqwerty52
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    To me that mix sounds… terrible in Atmos. It’s very harsh, metallic, not balanced at all. Turn on/off Spatial to compare to Stereo. Curious to hear what you guys think.
    qwerty52