If only Apple thought this way

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
read this

discuss

[edit] do you think Apple will kill this and attempt to do something similar? If this bloke can do it then why not Apple.

so simple - PS, mobo, basic I/O .. everything else optional.

a pizza box with opportunities galore.

I would love one

[/edit]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g::masta

read this

discuss

1) Why couldn't you give at least a small description of what was on the link?

2) Why exactly is this in FH?
  • Reply 2 of 61
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

1) Why couldn't you give at least a small description of what was on the link?

2) Why exactly is this in FH?

1) humble apologies ..

2) cos it has yet to be manufactured - hence future.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    This link is about a business idea to sell barebones PowerMacs, (case, PSU, motherboard) made from spare parts. The user provides the CPU/RAM/drives.

Apple doesn't do this because:
    • Apple doesn't support DIY PC building

• It would demolish to high margin PowerMac's sales

• Old components are harder to sell outside of the hobbyist/DIY markets

Of course, who doesn't want a cheap, fast, totally custom BTO Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 61
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Thanks for the edit... and yes Apple will not do this right now... given marketshare and the current economy, along with their business as it stands, they can't afford or risk to cut margins drastically to try and satisfy a market that may or may not be large enough to compensate for margin reductions.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Apple can definitely afford to do this simply cos it will cut manufacturing costs and since the customer will need to purchase at least some of the innards from Apple (chip) then Apple would make sales where they possibly would have lost out before.

touch and go.

if the 970 comes to market, then i think this would definitely be an option for G4 / G3 chip machines ...
  • Reply 6 of 61
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Exactly how large is the DIY market? How many PCs are built by hobbyists and small shops?
  • Reply 7 of 61
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If this isn't an Aprils fools joke, I'd get some for work here, especially if they are priced right.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    So... He is planning on marketing used, stripped-down Macs in non-apple enclosures. Well, perhaps not technically 'used' but to a consumer, there will be little difference.

Its a noble business plan but it probably won't be able to undercut the price of used apple hardware.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Um. Nice idea. It'll fail.

No, Macs aren't overpriced: the G4s are. Try and build a computer using motherboard from TerraSoft Solutions, and - because you'll get a G4/800 at most - build it with the same components the eMac - which is available as a G4/800 - has. Guess what, it's more expensive than the eMac, without the monitor. Nor can it run Mac OS X, because it isn't an Apple motherboard.

Now, this "iBox" is based off an Apple motherboard, but that doesn't rid us of pricing issue.

(Yes, I would love to be able to buy 20 iBoxes for my school, or one iBox as a great, tiny, cheap Mac OS X Server.)
  • Reply 10 of 61
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by g::masta

Apple can definitely afford to do this simply cos it will cut manufacturing costs and since the customer will need to purchase at least some of the innards from Apple (chip) then Apple would make sales where they possibly would have lost out before.

touch and go.

if the 970 comes to market, then i think this would definitely be an option for G4 / G3 chip machines ...

Not really. There are plenty of CPU upgrade makers out there. For example Giga Designs is a new one and they have very reasonable prices.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Personally this idea doesn't really interest me. I buy macs from Apple because they support the whole machine, both hardware and software. It feel like a risk to purchase something like this, whereas the clones before Steve got back in the driver's seat were at least endorsed by Apple through a licensing program. Just my initial thoughts though...
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Apple could sell off old G3 & G4 -based h/w and clear their inventories . besides, the sales of the 970 will create quite a handsome cash-flow so they could afford to cut margins. Appl might only buy the base machine, but how else are Apple going to clear inventory? And since the h/w would be cheap as mud to produce, why not ?
  • Reply 13 of 61
    chilleymacchilleymac Posts: 142member
    I personally think this is a great idea but I doubt it will fly. Apple will kill this guy. No way big Steve lets this happen.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Apple don't have the same inventory problems they had in the late 90s, as part of the new cost saving measures. This means that they don't lose out as mch by having to discount old stock. Although having some old stock is unavoidable, they'll i) need some for spares and ii) won't have enough for a separate product line. And iii), who will want a G4 with a 133MHz bus when the 970 comes out?
  • Reply 15 of 61
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    There was a thread that discussed Mac kits, as a possible Apple product for hobbyists and those building custom Macs. It could work IMO, if it were limited to a low end motherboard. People use cheap PCs for controlling lab. equipment, automated displays, and so on. I had a tour of a large astronomical facility, and the big telescope was controlled with an old 286 PC running DOS. Why not get these people accustom to using a Mac and OS X for such applications? This is how a computer platform often spreads, and when there is no Mac alternative, use of the Windows PC spreads by default.

One way to keep something like kits under control would be to bundle a full retail version of Mac OS X with every motherboard. There would have to be other controls too, to keep it from impacting "normal" Mac sales.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Sounds interesting, because Apple really does not have an entry-level upgradeable anymore. In fact, they don't really have an entry-level priced machine at all.

But the iBox will never be more than a fringe thing unless 1) this guy decides to do it as more than "a hobby" (his words) and 2) Apple cooperates.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Sounds interesting, because Apple really does not have an entry-level upgradeable anymore. In fact, they don't really have an entry-level priced machine at all.

I mostly agree.

It is also important to note that older powermacs can still be bought. Replace the drives and they're as good as new. A G4 from three years ago makes an excellent entry level machine, sporting the same peripheral compatibility as the newest machines. Computer depreciation is a fascinating concept...

(where's the nerd smilie?)
  • Reply 18 of 61
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Um. Nice idea. It'll fail.

He explains he's doing this as a hobby, not to get rich building cheap computers. As long as he can more or less break even -- which I imagine he can, if Apple stays off his ass -- I think he should do fine.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    80 Days That Changed the World

"When we started the little partnership, it was just like, Oh, this will be fun," Wozniak says. "We won't make any money, but it'll be fun."

heh heh
  • Reply 20 of 61
    iCubeJustGotFlattened.

Count me in for two when the motherboard gets upgraded to the new 970 motherboards which are hopefully to come.

And comming with S-ATA, DDR-3200, 8x AGP, 450 Mhz DDR bus.

MmMm.. Gamer mac.. Fully upgradeable... MMmmmm... Cube's replacement.. MmMmm...