Level Keypad now available to order, compatible with HomeKit-enabled Level locks

Posted:
in General Discussion
Level's previously-teased keypad has officially launched as a companion to its line of HomeKit-enabled smart locks.

Level Keypad
Level Keypad

Revealed earlier this year, Level's new keypad is now shipping. It can be mounted anywhere within 30 feet of a Level lock where it will wirelessly communicate over Bluetooth.

The streamlined design features a water-resistant enclosure and has an LED-backlit array of numbers. Passcodes can vary between four and six digits and owners have control over who has an access code and on what days a code will work.

"Whether you want to give your kids an easy way to come home from school or need to give recurring access to your dog walker, Level Keypad offers another intuitive way to welcome people into your home," said Alyssa Berman-Waugh, VP of Marketing, Level. "Designed to be installed anywhere near your lock, Level Keypad gives you the freedom to mount it discreetly and maintain the clean look of your entryway. It's a powerful addition to the Level smart home collection, offering a modern take on familiar behavior for homeowners and guests alike."

Users can order the Level Keypad starting today. It is available for $79 or discounted to $59 when purchased with a Level Bolt, Level Lock, Level Lock - Touch Edition, or Level Expressions model.

The array of invisible Level HomeKit door locks are available on Amazon starting at $171.99.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rgw1469rgw1469 Posts: 12member
    I like the idea of their smart bolt because you can simultaneously avoid ruining the look and feel of a door and not have to deal with rekeying a cylinder to keep your houses doors on the same key.

Unfortunately, bluetooth transport is a death sentence for smart devices. You will not be able to reliably trust this with automations and it will more often have a big red "No Response" label under it in the Home app. 

It is sad that such a well engineered product has such a debilitating weakness. Hopefully they'll add thread support in an updated model or just go wifi.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 257member
    rgw1469 said:
    Unfortunately, bluetooth transport is a death sentence for smart devices. You will not be able to reliably trust this with automations and it will more often have a big red "No Response" label under it in the Home app.
    I've never had a single "no response" issue with my level lock and homekit. First generation level lock, no less. I've only had no response issues with older "smart switches" using wifi, especially from ihome.
    rgw1469watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sbdude said:
    rgw1469 said:
    I've never had a single "no response" issue with my level lock and homekit. First generation level lock, no less. I've only had no response issues with older "smart switches" using wifi, especially from ihome.
    I'm happy for you but bluetooth reliability - or lack thereof - with smart devices is a bright red line for me. They should make a thread enabled version of this product that falls back to bluetooth if there is no thread router nearby. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rossgggrossggg Posts: 12member
    rgw1469 said:
    sbdude said:
    rgw1469 said:
    I'm happy for you but bluetooth reliability - or lack thereof - with smart devices is a bright red line for me. They should make a thread enabled version of this product that falls back to bluetooth if there is no thread router nearby. 
    While I do hope they update their product line with Thread in the future, I will chime in too that my first-gen Level Bolt is one of the most reliable accessories in my entire HomeKit setup.  If you ensure there is an AppleTV or HomePod device within range of the lock, it will work instantly and reliably whenever you go to control it.  I do have some thread accessories that get better range, as far as not needing to be near a HomeKit Hub, but they aren't particularly reliable and are slow to respond to commands or provide status updates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    rossggg said:
    rgw1469 said:
    sbdude said:
    rgw1469 said:
    While I do hope they update their product line with Thread in the future, I will chime in too that my first-gen Level Bolt is one of the most reliable accessories in my entire HomeKit setup.  If you ensure there is an AppleTV or HomePod device within range of the lock, it will work instantly and reliably whenever you go to control it.  I do have some thread accessories that get better range, as far as not needing to be near a HomeKit Hub, but they aren't particularly reliable and are slow to respond to commands or provide status updates.
    I’ve found that thread devices are very reliable - once the mesh is built - but never reliable when interacted with via Siri on a HomePod. That seems to be a HomePod only problem - again, once the mesh is built - because the Home app or the wemo scene controller get instant responses from other thread devices. 

Honestly, best I can tell, HomeOS is often the culprit of problems in my smart home setup. Like when the primary HomePod forgets how to check for when sunrise and sunset is happening so those automation triggers stop working in my home until I pull the plug on the primary HomePod. 

Anyway, how close would you consider close enough for your lock? I have a HomePod Mini just on the other side of an interior wall next to the entrance and there is an Apple TV roughly 15ft away in the living room.
    watto_cobra