Apple TV+ renews hotel comedy 'Acapulco' for second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ has announced that its bilingual "Acapulco" comedy is to get a second run, which will begin filming on location in Mexico from later this spring.

Starring Eugenio Derbez from "CODA," the comedy has a "How I Met Your Mother" style of a man recounting the adventures of his younger self, played by Enrique Arrizon.

The young Maximo Gallardo has got a job as a cabana boy at an Acapulco resort where the staff are mostly Spanish, but are required to speak English whenever a tourist is around.

Consequently, "Acapulco" is a joint Spanish-language and English-language series, with the languages being used both for comedy, and for pointing up "us and them" divisions between the characters.

"Season two picks up right on the heels of season one," says Apple in a press release. "In 1985, Maximo must contend with upheaval at the resort, unexpected problems at home, and a new love interest who just might rival the girl of his dreams."

"In the present day," continues Apple, "older Maximo... arrives in Acapulco, where he encounters various people from his past - for better and worse."

No streaming date for the second season has been announced, but the first season's ten episodes are available now.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’m glad to hear this will get a new season. I really liked this show. I thought the mom and the sister were the best part about season 1, so hopefully they’ll get a little more screen time. 
    pumpkin_king
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Great 30 minute comedy. Entertaining and I enjoy the 80’s nostalgia. Glad it got renewed. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Nice show, nice story and the characters are great. I love that the rich kid is a genuinely nice person - all too often the "son of the owner" is stereotyped as a mean person.

Also really love the dual-language aspect, as this is such a reality for much of the world. It just gives it an extra level of authenticity - emotions are expressed so differently in different languages, translating them makes no sense but hearing them in the original really conveys how language shapes emotion.