Apple releasing more efficient GaN-based 30W power adapter, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
Apple could debut a new 30W power adapter with a redesigned form factor sometime in 2022, according to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple GaN charger
Apple GaN charger

In a tweet on Monday, Kuo said that the adapter would use gallium nitride -- or GaN -- technology. Currently used in the 16-inch MacBook Pro adapter, GaN allows for smaller and more efficient power chargers than traditional silicon-based systems.

Apple may release its next GaN charger in 2022, which supports about 30W and has a new form factor design.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Although Kuo didn't specify what the power adapter would be for, it's likely to be a replacement for Apple's current 30W wall chargers, which ship with the latest MacBook Air.

Previously, Kuo predicted that Apple could debut "two to three" new GaN-based chargers in 2021.

GaN is a transparent crystalline material can make for smaller and more power efficient chips for power adapters and wall chargers. Although generally more expensive than silicon-based adapters, many third-party brands have taken to releasing GaN-based chargers for iPhones and other models.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It's about time Apple moves all of it's power adapters to Ga-N tech. Smaller size, higher power output.
    grandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I really wish Apple would make GaN multi port USB-C chargers. I’m currently debating between the Anker and the Belkin 40w dual-C bricks, but I would much rather buy first party. For some reason, I thought GaN tech would have evolved a lot quicker than it has. 
    byronlmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    wood1208 said:
    It's about time Apple moves all of it's power adapters to Ga-N tech. Smaller size, higher power output.
    Agree. The current MBP chargers are far, far too big and bulky. And still no folding UK pins
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Japhey said:
    I really wish Apple would make GaN multi port USB-C chargers. I’m currently debating between the Anker and the Belkin 40w dual-C bricks, but I would much rather buy first party. For some reason, I thought GaN tech would have evolved a lot quicker than it has. 
    Evolved in what way?  GaN chargers proliferate on Amazon.  Depending on the day, there are great deals to be had for almost any capacity charger.  I just picked up a RAVPOWER 2-port USB C 90W GaN w/6ft cable for $30.  It's advertised as "Generic", but received it and it's Ravpower.  Very happy.  All my chargers are now GaN chargers.

Hopefully standards will evolve and we get higher wattage for the bigger Windows laptops.  

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    KBuffett said:
    wood1208 said:
    Agree. The current MBP chargers are far, far too big and bulky. And still no folding UK pins
    The 140W charger for the 16” MBP is GaN, right? It’s still pretty big.

Agree about the folding pins. They did it for a 5W charger once, but never followed through with the rest of the plugs. Disappointing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I wish they’d make a usb-c to magsafe 2 cable so I can stop buying a power supply that falls apart in a year or 2
    crowley
  • Reply 7 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I wish they’d make a usb-c to magsafe 2 cable so I can stop buying a power supply that falls apart in a year or 2
    I don't imagine they ever will, but a world of yes.