New iPad Air rumored to have Apple Silicon M1 processor

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2022
The "Peek Performance" Apple event kicks off on Tuesday, and sources suggest that the new iPad Air may be the next in Apple's lineup to transition to the M1 Apple Silicon processor.

iPad Air 4
iPad Air 4

While it's impossible to know on March 7 what will be released at the March 8 Apple Event, we've got some pretty good guesses about what may make an appearance. We're anticipating an updated iPhone SE, MacBook Air, Mac mini, and an updated iPad Air.

Based on sources cited by 9to5mac on late Monday, the "iPad Air 5" will be next in line to get Apple's M1 chip. The same chip also powers the current generation of iPad Pro, as well as Apple's first generation of Apple Silicon Macs, such as the 24-inch iMac, and the 2020 MacBook Air.

The upgrade would bring a substantial boost in performance to the iPad Air. The M1 chip is more powerful than the A14 Bionic that powers the iPad Air 4. It would also offer an 8-core CPU and 7-core GPU, as likely up to 8GB of RAM at the lowest configuration.

The M1 addition to the iPad Air isn't a surprise. Apple uses the iPad Pro platform for launches of new technology like the M1, and ultimately migrates them down the iPad family. The iPad Pro was the first iPad to adopt the slimmer bezels, and it ultimately migrated to the iPad Air and iPad mini.

When Apple launches the updated iPad Pro, the device will likely see a slate of new features, including an updated chip.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Can’t wait for tomorrow… I’m tuning in!
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Personally, I’d prefer FaceID and an A15 Bionic for the midrange iPad. The Pro models still don’t even take advantage of the M1 yet, so this seems to be overkill. Whatever, I’m upgrading from my 4 either way. 
    edited March 2022 qwerty52williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    You know what I’d like? A 12.9” Air. I mostly use the iPad to watch movies. I want the big screen, I want the amazing sound, I want the battery life, but I don’t need an M1 processor or a fancy rear camera. I guess it’s not something many customers want.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    You know what I’d like? A 12.9” Air. I mostly use the iPad to watch movies. I want the big screen, I want the amazing sound, I want the battery life, but I don’t need an M1 processor or a fancy rear camera. I guess it’s not something many customers want.
    Yes! I too would like an Air Max, or whatever it would be called. Air Max sounds like a cool name though, and it would be the perfect iPad for me. With FaceID, of course. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Well, that's a pickle new M1 Air or old A14 Air runout stock. Purple might be the deciding factor.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    We bought an iPad Air yesterday to get the back to school deal on AirPods that ended March 7 in our country. figured the step to A15 wasn’t worth waiting. The air however won’t be delivered until next week and let’s face it, an M1 is a whole different story. Do you reckon we might get an upgrade?

• Reply 7 of 9
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Without more pro capabilities like true external monitor support and advanced window management, an M1 feels like overkill on the iPad Air.
    If they do this it’s probably because it’s cheaper for Apple to deal with fewer chip families, since they are architecturally similar anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    entropys said:
    We bought an iPad Air yesterday to get the back to school deal on AirPods that ended March 7 in our country. figured the step to A15 wasn’t worth waiting. The air however won’t be delivered until next week and let’s face it, an M1 is a whole different story. Do you reckon we might get an upgrade?

It is highly unlikely they would just upgrade you. But there is a 30 day return so you could send it back and order something different. May not get the discount but if you go to the store and explain it, sometimes they will help you out. For instance I bought my kid a laptop a few days after the expiration of a back to school promo and they gave it to me anyway! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    If it's true and the iPad Air is getting the M1, aside from ProMotion, what's the point in getting a smaller iPad Pro? 
    watto_cobra