'Mac Studio' and new Apple display are 'ready to go' for Apple Event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
The more powerful Mac desktop computer and a new Apple external display are complete and "ready to go," and a reputable leaker says that they are expected to debut at Tuesday's Apple Event.

In a tweet, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has stated that he has been told a new desktop Mac model is now "ready to go" alongside a new Apple monitor. Gurman expects to see both arrive on Tuesday at Apple's "Peek Performance" event.

The new desktop Mac model, dubbed "Mac Studio" by assorted reports over the last several days, is said to be between the Mac Pro and Mac mini in size. At the same time, it is more powerful than the existing Mac mini.

Am told the Mac Studio (smaller Mac Pro/more powerful Mac mini) plus the new monitor running iOS are "ready to go" - so I believe they should arrive tomorrow. https://t.co/MvrGwTfGmy

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

An "Apple Studio Display" might make an appearance at the event as well. Gurman expects the display to feature an A-series chip for image processing, running a version of iOS tailored to the job.

While rumors of a new Apple display have been floated since the launch of Pro Display XDR at WWDC in June of 2019, there has been no concrete evidence of the development of such a display. On March 4, 2022, details of an alleged new 7K Apple display began to emerge, and it isn't clear if the monitor expected on Tuesday is that product, or not.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hmm, I wonder if having iOS in the display means that it will support Sidecar style wireless connectivity...

BTW, I am using Sidecar with an 11" iPad Pro on a 2018 13"MBP Intel. At the same time, I have an old iPad Air (1st gen) connected to the MBP using the YAM app (connected via USB-C). The result is a very compact triple monitor workstation. The sharpness (pixel pitch) of the iPads match nicely with the MBP display.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    If a display has an operating system would that not be, in fact, an All in One like an iMac.
    And if iOS, that would have to be touch screen.

Or is what we are dealing with here an explosion of fake leaks to canary trap the leakers?
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Old Slogan: Think Different.
    New Slogan: Why so, Studious?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 697member
    entropys said:
    If a display has an operating system would that not be, in fact, an All in One like an iMac.

Or is what we are dealing with here an explosion of fake leaks to canary trap the leakers?
    Interesting point. It sounds like a giant iPad display. Display with iOS is suspicious unless the iOS is mainly for use on built-in monitor calibration app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:

All displays have firmware, this “cut down version of iOS” would seem to just be fulfilling that function. If it doesn’t have significant RAM or storage then you won’t be able to do anything as you would expect with an iPhone, iPad or Mac.

Would sure be nice if it shipped with embedded tvOS though.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    Want them to compare this to the iMac(s). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Mark my words it's a Mac Mini Pro with a HomePod built into the base. With Apple's low Power/Watt usage CPU's, it just doesn't warrant the refrigerator base. Then it hit me... it's full of speakers!!!  (Cue the 2001 Soundtrack!) It has many speakers in the base and those vents are not for heat but for SOUND. What if you took an original HomePod and Mac Mini Pro and put them together in a yummy Mac Studio Sandwich! Video professionals know that audio is KING and while the new displays are fantastic it also needs an elegant sound solution with the performance of the (original) HomePod.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Mark my words it's a Mac Mini Pro with a HomePod built into the base. With Apple's low Power/Watt usage CPU's, it just doesn't warrant the refrigerator base. Then it hit me... it's full of speakers!!!  (Cue the 2001 Soundtrack!) It has many speakers in the base and those vents are not for heat but for SOUND. What if you took an original HomePod and Mac Mini Pro and put them together in a yummy Mac Studio Sandwich! Video professionals know that audio is KING and while the new displays are fantastic it also needs an elegant sound solution with the performance of the (original) HomePod.
    Somehow, I am reminded of Calvin letting his imagination run wild dreaming up features for the space ship/gizmo/blaster he's designing.
    watto_cobra