Apple's Mac Studio launches with new M1 Ultra chip in a compact package

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    MittyMitty Posts: 18member
    This seems to be an awesome machine but it's complete overkill for my needs. I was really hoping for a revised Mac Mini. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 155
    Well, I am not going to knock Nvidia RTX 3090 performance with an integrated GPU. It is pointless. AMD's best integrated GPU, the Radeon 680M, performs between an Nvidia GeForce MX450 and a GeForce GTX 1650. Based on the integrated GPU performance alone, Apple has the "best CPU" crown and isn't giving it up for awhile. Intel and AMD are going to have to fight it out for #2
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 155
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,298member
    JinTech said:
    Looks like Apple just ate Alder Lake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They even hinted at a revised Mac Pro. I cannot even imagine. 
    I think it's very clear that Apple Silicon totally dominates Intel for use in the Macs that Apple wants to design. 

But, I think it will continue to be the case there are users for whom the Macs Apple wants to design aren't the best option.

For example, if you need a bunch of CPU cores and don't care too much about GPU performance, both AMD and Intel offer options that are a better match. However great Apple's 20 cores are, they aren't going to outperform the 64 cores in the new Threadripper 5000. 

Somewhat relatedly, if you don't care very much about power consumption (maybe you live on the dark side of the moon and it's always chilly), then you might be willing to tolerate the 280 watt TDP of that 64 core Threadripper. 

Again, though -- for Apple's purposes, they clearly have the better chip. I can't see Intel winning back their business for the foreseeable future. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonargonautcgWerksradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 155
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    auxio said:
    jamoses66 said:
    What's missing?
    No upgradeability. At all. None. Zero. Nada.
    No way to upgrade the RAM, SSD or any other components.
    What you get is what you get. Forever. You are welcome.
    Not even a M.2 slot for when the built in SSD seems very slow and small two years from now.

Those GPU speed/power charts were missing the name of the discrete GPUs they used for comparison. The charts shown when the M1 Pro and Max when the MacBook Pro was released ended up being very misleading. How exactly does the M1 Ultra stack up to a RTX 3090 when ray tracing in Blender? Who knows? Guess we have to wait for a real review to find out. We do know that that the M1 Max hash rate is around 10.7 MH/s while a 3090 gets 121 MH/s so even if the M1 Ultra is twice as fast, it is still 1/6th the speed of the 3090.
    Exactly, instead of an all-in-one package with a 27" iMac, they release this overpriced monitor and a cpu with no upgradeability in a box. Cool. Cool. 
    Are you two obtuse?  Or sponsored by Intel?

The only possible thing to knock is the lack of RAM upgradeability.  Thunderbolt 4 is plenty fast for an SSD upgrade, external GPU, etc.  But I guess it lacks the cool cool factor of taking selfies with an exposed motherboard.
    There is no eGPU support with Apple Silicon. 
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 155
    Needed: way to use an old 27-inch iMac as a display for the Mac Studio. 
    williamlondoncgWerksMisterKitVermelhowatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 155
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    blastdoor said:
    JinTech said:
    Looks like Apple just ate Alder Lake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They even hinted at a revised Mac Pro. I cannot even imagine. 
    I think it's very clear that Apple Silicon totally dominates Intel for use in the Macs that Apple wants to design. 

But, I think it will continue to be the case there are users for whom the Macs Apple wants to design aren't the best option.

For example, if you need a bunch of CPU cores and don't care too much about GPU performance, both AMD and Intel offer options that are a better match. However great Apple's 20 cores are, they aren't going to outperform the 64 cores in the new Threadripper 5000. 

Somewhat relatedly, if you don't care very much about power consumption (maybe you live on the dark side of the moon and it's always chilly), then you might be willing to tolerate the 280 watt TDP of that 64 core Threadripper. 

Again, though -- for Apple's purposes, they clearly have the better chip. I can't see Intel winning back their business for the foreseeable future. 
    Let's see what happens when Apple releases the new Mac Pro, which they hinted that they are indeed working on and will be the last Mac to transition to Apple silicon. I suspect it will also eat the Threadripper 5000 for breakfast, lunch and dinner lol
    williamlondonravnorodomargonautbulk001watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 155
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, so there were two statements made that sealed the fate of the larger iMac. The first was that the Mac Studio and Studio display were the perfect for 27” iMac users. The second statement was at the very end when he said there was only one Mac left to transition, the Mac Pro.

So, there will be no iMac Pro, no iMac with a larger screen. The 24” iMac is it. The Mac Studio is the future and I’m okay with that.

He did say that there was only one mac left to transition but I can't recall anyone saying Mac Studio and Studio Display were perfect for 27" iMac users. Who said that? What's the timestamp?
    tenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 155
    About the Intel comparisons, it really looks like you guys need to realize that the current leader in this sector is AMD. By a significant margin. And when their Zen 4 Threadripper comes out in 2023 it will be even worse. Between the AMD Threadripper and the M1 Ultra, it is safe to say that Intel's strength is going to be laptops and low end to midrange desktops. Their options perform better than AMD and are cheaper than Apple. But workstations are going to be Apple #1 and AMD #2 for pure performance as well as power per watt. 

https://www.pcworld.com/article/620129/amds-newest-threadripper-pro-5000-to-crush-xeon-again.html
    edited March 2022 williamlondonargonautcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 155
    mjtomlin said: Very true they could at some point release a larger iMac, they can always change their mind, But John did say there was only one Mac left to transition; the Mac Pro. That would imply everything coming along through the transition is done, leaving the 27” iMac behind.
    27" iMac isn't a separate line of hardware like the Mac Pro. iMac was already updated to M1, but that doesn't mean iMac will never have a screen larger than 24". IMO, this is more of a maximize-near-term-sales approach for the Mac Studio and Studio Display. 
    edited March 2022 williamlondonmike1maclin3argonautradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 155
    DAalseth said:
    JinTech said:
    Yes I suspect some engineers at intel just **** themselves. They lined up to make a field goal and Apple moved the goalposts into the next county. 
    For Intel, AMD is a much bigger problem right now than Apple. Head to head PC workstation comparisons - Threadripper vs Xeon - sees AMD with a 60% market share. Alder Lake was great for consumer and gaming, but they continue to have no answer for AMD in workstations and servers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 155
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    So... there won't be a 27" iMac at all??  :o
    Nothing in these keynote implies there will not be a 27" (or greater) iMac "pro".  They have moved the iMac over and that is the 24" model.  It makes perfect sense that the larger version will simply be spec-bump with a larger screen.  

If anything, the new Studio Display is most likely an indication that the iMac "Pro" will look like this.  

Doesn't make sense to have the 24" iMac only, and have an external display that is larger than it.  There will be a 27"+ iMac coming.
    maclin3argonautcgWerksJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 155
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    auxio said:
    jamoses66 said:
    What's missing?
    No upgradeability. At all. None. Zero. Nada.
    No way to upgrade the RAM, SSD or any other components.
    What you get is what you get. Forever. You are welcome.
    Not even a M.2 slot for when the built in SSD seems very slow and small two years from now.

Those GPU speed/power charts were missing the name of the discrete GPUs they used for comparison. The charts shown when the M1 Pro and Max when the MacBook Pro was released ended up being very misleading. How exactly does the M1 Ultra stack up to a RTX 3090 when ray tracing in Blender? Who knows? Guess we have to wait for a real review to find out. We do know that that the M1 Max hash rate is around 10.7 MH/s while a 3090 gets 121 MH/s so even if the M1 Ultra is twice as fast, it is still 1/6th the speed of the 3090.
    Exactly, instead of an all-in-one package with a 27" iMac, they release this overpriced monitor and a cpu with no upgradeability in a box. Cool. Cool. 
    Are you two obtuse?  Or sponsored by Intel?

The only possible thing to knock is the lack of RAM upgradeability.  Thunderbolt 4 is plenty fast for an SSD upgrade, external GPU, etc.  But I guess it lacks the cool cool factor of taking selfies with an exposed motherboard.
    There is no eGPU support with Apple Silicon. 
    Maybe not today, but that doesn't mean it'll never happen.  It might be added when the Mac Pro is updated to ASi, but it really depends on market demand and whether the GPU Apple comes up with for the Pro can satisfy high end needs.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 155
    crowley said:
    The GPUs used are in the footnotes on the product pages: https://www.apple.com/mac-studio/
    Popular discrete GPU performance data from testing Core i9-12900K with DDR5 memory and GeForce RTX 3060 Ti. Highest-end discrete GPU performance data from testing Core i9-12900K with DDR5 memory and GeForce RTX 3090. Performance tests are conducted using specific computer systems and reflect the approximate performance of Mac Studio.
    Thanks! I don't see any ray tracing/photoreal rendering performance comparisons against a 3090. All the GPU comparisons appear to be in video editing apps. Those favor high memory speed and system bandwidth. No doubt the Studio with its highly integrated design blows the doors off any Windows workstation in that area. However in Pro 3D rendering you get a lot better bang for the buck with a 3080 or 3090 in a custom built PC (assuming you can find a GPU anyway). In fact this may be the Studio's biggest feature for pros: You can actually buy one. The form factor trounces PCs as well. Much less clutter with that tiny Mac than a bloated PC. Much quieter and much less power usage. Power savings while significant don't make up for the lack of expandability and price tag though.

All this being said, yes I would still love to own one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 155
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 367member
    Just so frustrating for a person looking to replace their 27-inch iMac.
    iMac is under $3K. And memory can be upgraded.
    Studio + Studio is closer to $4.5K. But, you do get more cables.

williamlondonravnorodommaclin3pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 155
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mjtomlin said: Very true they could at some point release a larger iMac, they can always change their mind, But John did say there was only one Mac left to transition; the Mac Pro. That would imply everything coming along through the transition is done, leaving the 27” iMac behind.
    27" iMac isn't a separate line of hardware like the Mac Pro. iMac was already updated to M1, but that doesn't mean iMac will never have a screen larger than 24". IMO, this is more of a maximize-near-term-sales approach for the Mac Studio and Studio Display. 
    27" iMac no longer listed on the Apple Store.  It's gone unless Apple u-turn.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 155
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    What model is it?  You might be able to use target display mode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 155
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, so there were two statements made that sealed the fate of the larger iMac. The first was that the Mac Studio and Studio display were the perfect for 27” iMac users. The second statement was at the very end when he said there was only one Mac left to transition, the Mac Pro.

So, there will be no iMac Pro, no iMac with a larger screen. The 24” iMac is it. The Mac Studio is the future and I’m okay with that.
    He did say that there was only one mac left to transition but I can't recall anyone saying Mac Studio and Studio Display were perfect for 27" iMac users. Who said that? What's the timestamp?
    Yes, I missed that too, but it seems right. At least the M2 Mini redesign seems to have been given a reprieve. Definitely still a place for it in the lineup. 

On the death of the larger iMac, end of an era, but it’s the right thing to do. Agree that it probably means no 32-inch iMac Pro as well, for the same reasons. They even highlighted the word “modularity” when discussing it. 
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 155
    briceiobriceio Posts: 8member
    Any speculation on how the M1 Ultra will fit regarding a 6900 XT or 3090... just wondering cause I need GPU power and those Apple charts are... hmmm... imprecise!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 155
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 605member

Luna Display - which now supports 5k iMacs - I’m currently using a 2015 iMac 5k Retina on an M1 Mini (only 45khz though).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 155
    briceiobriceio Posts: 8member
    Just so frustrating for a person looking to replace their 27-inch iMac.
    iMac is under $3K. And memory can be upgraded.
    Studio + Studio is closer to $4.5K. But, you do get more cables.

Same here... sad cause I was looking to update my M1 Mini but the M1 Max isn't great enough - I already have a 5950X on the side with much more GPU power - and the M1 Ultra is way overpriced.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra