After an over 12-year run, Apple has discontinued the 27-inch iMac

Posted:
in General Discussion
After over a decade of service, there are no longer any 27-inch iMacs available from the online Apple Store for consumer purchase.

Apple's 27-inch iMac
Apple's 27-inch iMac

The Apple Store has removed the listing for the late-2020 27-inch iMac model from its Mac category, leaving only the 24-inch Apple Silicon model available for purchase. The just-discontinued 27-inch model with an Intel processor was first released August 2020, and could incorporate a nano-texture anti-glare display option.

As the 21-inch Intel model was discontinued outside of some educational channels following the 24-inch Apple Silicon redesign, the expectation was that Apple would release a newer large-size iMac model in early 2022. Instead, during the March 8 event Apple announced a 27-inch Apple Studio Display alongside the Mac Studio with no apparent large-size 27-inch iMac successor.

The iMac was first launched in 1998 as a PowerPC-based all-in-one desktop computer, and was the first post-Steve Jobs return product in earnest. It transitioned to the Intel processor family in 2006, and to the previously discussed ARM-based Apple Silicon architecture in 2021. The first 27-inch iMacs debuted in 2009.

The design of the just-discontinued iMac model was first launched in 2012, followed by a Retina display model in late 2014. A nano-texture option that originally debuted in Pro Display XDR was made available in August 2020.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    Huh, but there won’t be a replacement asap…
    So purchase a Studio Display, Mac Studio base model, Magic Keyboard and Mouse for $4300?
    williamlondonlkruppcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So purchase a Studio Display, Mac Studio base model, Magic Keyboard and Mouse for $4300?
    If that's what you want, sure.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingamtdknox
  • Reply 3 of 34
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    To me.. That just means that Apple will introduce a 30"+ iMac down the road.  Many folks still want a large-panel, all-in-one that the iMac was perfect for.  No cables, no clutter, etc... 

That being said, this new Studio Mac is an incredible piece of computing tech.  Very excited to see the real-world reviews.  It's quite amazing how fast Apple's tech has evolved when they introduced their revamped Mac Pro.  

This Studio was a slap across Intel's face.
    williamlondonforegoneconclusioncgWerkstmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    This is disappointing, unless it will be replaced in the near future.  One of the best features of the iMac has been the large screen.  If the 24” is staying as the smaller screen size, maybe we could get a 30” iMac?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No, you can buy a Mac Mini and a LG display the size of your choosing. 
    williamlondonronnlorca2770watto_cobradoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Seems a shame, the high-end 27" iMac was a beast. I suppose though keeping that around would have shown what a ripoff the new display is, since the base 27" iMac was only $200 more than the new display but for an entire computer. No more cable-free experience if you want 27" anymore either. Really haven't been happy with Apple's Mac direction as of late. We've gone from stagnation to incompatibility and expense. Same direction as the mid-90's Macs. Excellent machines in their own right, but pricey and proprietary. 
    lkruppFrankSzigzaglensmuthuk_vanalingammacplusplus
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I absolutely love my old iMac 27" from 2015. It is still trucking and the screen is fantastic. Would have loved to be able to use it as a display for my new M1 Max MacBook Pro. Shame Apple removed that feature for younger iMacs than 2014.

Pretty intense that the new Studio display is using A13 Bionic to power it. A 2 years old top of the line SoC in a display!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Interesting. So the only intel based machines Apple has are the Mac mini and the Mac Pro. Based on the "one more to go" comment it sounds like we will see a new Mac Pro and that intel based Mac mini will just ride off into the sunset. 

Of course this doesn't preclude Apple from updating the mini with the Pro or Max processors. Though adding the Max puts it in competition with the studio. 

As for the iMac, Apple could do a larger and or still do a Pro but I'm getting the distinct impression that we shouldn't assume something that was in the product line will get a replacement model. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    designr said:
    sflocal said:
    To me.. That just means that Apple will introduce a 30"+ iMac down the road.  Many folks still want a large-panel, all-in-one that the iMac was perfect for.  No cables, no clutter, etc...
    Or...Apple is signaling what people want (i.e., actually purchase):

Pros: Not AIO computer but, instead, something more like the Mac Studio (for some) and Mac Pro (for others).
    Consumers: 24" AIO is sufficient. Anything larger is not worth the cost to them.

I suspect, like others have opined, that any iMac larger than 24" is now in the history books. A 30"+ iMac is highly doubtful.

I think what you're also seeing is Apple re-highlight the lines between pro and consumer.
    Saying that Apple thinks consumers only want a 24 inch iMac doesn't really make sense. Apple eliminated the 24 inch iMac back in 2009 in favor of a larger 27 inch model. But now Apple thinks consumers only want a 24 inch model in 2022?
    edited March 2022 elijahgwilliamlondonapplguycaladanianzigzaglensbaconstangstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    elijahg said:
    Seems a shame, the high-end 27" iMac was a beast. I suppose though keeping that around would have shown what a ripoff the new display is, since the base 27" iMac was only $200 more than the new display but for an entire computer. No more cable-free experience if you want 27" anymore either. Really haven't been happy with Apple's Mac direction as of late. We've gone from stagnation to incompatibility and expense. Same direction as the mid-90's Macs. Excellent machines in their own right, but pricey and proprietary. 
    There's just no need for the 'beast' aspect now, I guess. I don't doubt we'll eventually see an iMac 27"+, but the need for a high-end, but not quite pro all-in-one may be over as far as Apple is concerned. Yes, the new display pricing seems kind of crazy.

As for pricing, kinda sorta. They are pricing more like the old Mac days rather than the late-90s to mid-2000s, but we're also getting a heck of a lot more computer for the money these days (whether the average buyer realizes or needs that). Aside from GPU abilities, Macs across the whole line are now as good or better than the top end PCs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    designr said:
    designr said:
    sflocal said:
    Or...Apple is signaling what people want (i.e., actually purchase):

Pros: Not AIO computer but, instead, something more like the Mac Studio (for some) and Mac Pro (for others).
    Consumers: 24" AIO is sufficient. Anything larger is not worth the cost to them.

I suspect, like others have opined, that any iMac larger than 24" is now in the history books. A 30"+ iMac is highly doubtful.

I think what you're also seeing is Apple re-highlight the lines between pro and consumer.
    Saying that Apple thinks consumers only want a 24 inch iMac doesn't really make sense. Apple eliminated the 24 inch iMac back in 2009 in favor of a larger 27 inch model. But now Apple thinks consumers only want a 24 inch model in 2022?
    It can make sense if the sales numbers—or other feedback signals—showed them the relative success or demand for both sizes.

People don't always just want bigger. Consumers especially. Pros? Sure. That's kind of a no-brainer. Consumers less so since they're more price-sensitive.

Or...it could be that Apple is just deciding: Pro: > 24", Consumer: 24" or less. Either way, I doubt we'll see an iMac larger than 24" ever again. Totally fine admitting I'm wrong if it does happen. Just a reasonably-reasoned opinion. Not a hill to die on.
    Here's my opinion: the 21" iMac is the "discontinued" size for consumers. The reason Apple has only released a 24" M series iMac up to now is specifically due to the development of the Studio line of products. They want prior 27" iMac and iMac Pro users to be focused on the Studio line in order to maximize the near term sales. It's the same general principle as not launching the iPad Air with an M1 at the same time as the iPad Pro with the M1. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    elijahg said:
    So sell your Apple gear, go Intel PC and be happy. You seem to think Apple are ripoff artists anyway so why do business with them anymore.
    designrwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Aaaaaaaand my money stays in my wallet. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 34
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Aaaaaaaand my money stays in my wallet. 
    And we all came here to find out what *you* were doing, thanks for yet another say nothing, negative post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    designr said:
    People don't always just want bigger. Consumers especially. Pros? Sure. That's kind of a no-brainer. Consumers less so since they're more price-sensitive.

Or...it could be that Apple is just deciding: Pro: > 24", Consumer: 24" or less. Either way, I doubt we'll see an iMac larger than 24" ever again. Totally fine admitting I'm wrong if it does happen. Just a reasonably-reasoned opinion. Not a hill to die on.
    Kind of like phones, right? But, I agree. I think a 24" unit is already pretty big in the context of most home desks and uses. Once you go beyond that, you're addressing more prosumer/pro needs or specific cases, and probably would be better suited with picking the right setup/combo of stuff anyway.

The issue is pricing. If you go with the new 27" display and then add an appropriate Mac, the costs just went up. You would need to get the appropriate Mac and then go 3rd party for the display to keep the costs down (which is what I'll likely do), but then you don't have as nice of display as you would have with a 5k iMac. If they'd come in at closer to $1k for the new display, then they have a good argument for dropping the 5k iMac. I can see why some are upset.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobraelijahg
  • Reply 16 of 34
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I don't see a problem at all with the pricing on the Studio Display. I've been looking for a 5K monitor for a couple of years and there just isn't much out there to choose from - the build quality of the LG is just poor, for example, and I'd hate to have to spend my money on that. Considering the Thunderbolt Display was $999 on release, its successor 11 years later being $1599 is completely reasonable both in terms of the amount one expects things to go up in price over time and the state of the 5K display market.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    opinionopinion Posts: 103member

What is happening at Apple, there are so many strange things coming out of there in recent years. So no 27 inch iMac right now but an expensive Studio Display. There is an iPad with Touch id on the power button but not on iPhones, there is a more adjustable stand on the new Studio Display but not on the new iMac 24 inch. There is an Ethernet option on the new iMac but not on the new Studio Display (so that if you connect a Macbook to it  you would only need one cable for power, bigger display and ethernet connection). There is a SD-card slot on the new Mac Studio but not on the new iMac. The list goes on and on. Are the different teams so separated from each other that it is hard to follow some consistency? Also, how can they make a Studio display that is more expensive than the starter iMac 24 inch (the extra inches can´t be it)?

williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 18 of 34
    I am totally disappointed at the fact they discontinued the iMac 27" as I had a couple of the 27" models over the past few years and the current one I have is getting older. OH well I guess I being looking at the upgraded Mac mini in the future with the display today but I really wanted a all in one solution with a bigger screen that the 27" iMac represented

williamlondoncgWerkswatto_cobraopinion
  • Reply 19 of 34
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    We are seeing clearer delineation between Pro and Consumer (the colourful ones). The Pros are really becoming Pro again and the Consumer levels are becoming more powerful.

iMac/Mini - Studio
    MacBook Air - MacBook Pro
    iPad Air - iPadPro
    iPhone - iPhone Pro

(plus entry levels iPhone SE and iPad).

Thankfully, the Pro line is now mostly overkill for consumers.

edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    sflagel said:
    We are seeing clearer delineation between Pro and Consumer (the colourful ones). The Pros are really becoming Pro again and the Consumer levels are becoming more powerful.

iMac/Mini - Studio
    MacBook Air - MacBook Pro
    iPad Air - iPadPro
    iPhone - iPhone Pro

(plus entry levels iPhone SE and iPad).

Thankfully, the Pro line is now mostly overkill for consumers.
    Studio = return of G5/Intel tower pricing. Apple is holding off on introducing a 27" M series iMac in order to try and get a higher % of pro users to transition back to the G5/Intel tower pricing model. But the reality is that there are still plenty of professional uses for a 27" M series iMac, even if it's limited to the M1/M1 Pro. 
    sflagel