AI: Details of New Music Service Emerge

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

That was the beauty of Napster: I could ALWAYS find what I was looking for. Somebody, somewhere in the world had it: old Dave Edmunds or Nick Lowe stuff, a Flock of Seagulls remix, soundtracks from long-forgotten movies, one hit wonders from my youth, obscure bluegrass/folk artists, demo recordings, outtakes, etc.

Exactly. It was one of the nicest (and most legitimate) uses of the service.

Current releases from independent labels would be a bonus. The ability to buy, say, Lalo Schifrin's 1950's session inspired by the Marquis de Sade would be incredible.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I guess Kasper will be right this time

I don't know why, but this info sounds true, at least it's logical and in the pure Mac tradition
  • Reply 23 of 30
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    What would be an interesting service would be of offer a discount on an iPod if you agreed to buy a certain amount of music a month (10-20 dollars worth) for a year. Sort of like cell phone plans. The more music you agreed to buy the cheaper the iPod.

Also they should have consoles (iMacs) in the Apple Stores that allow you to listen any of the songs available for purchase.

And sell iPod's preloaded with a famous musicans selection of songs. (for an extra fee). These would make perfect gifts since you could give someone an iPod with a mix created by their favorite artist. The record companies would love this model also since the songs would be stuck on the iPod.

No matter what the service is I will probably be signing up for it when it comes out.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    There have also been some suggestions that Apple is going to sell prepaid cards that can be used with the service through their stores, target stores and boarders books stores. (however apparently not through mainstream Apple dealers)

So kids without credit cards, or anyone else who doesn't want to use a creditcard can use the service.

However, whether of not they can convince the Napster generation to pay for online music remains unclear
  • Reply 25 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stagflation Steve

There have also been some suggestions that Apple is going to sell prepaid cards that can be used with the service through their stores, target stores and boarders books stores. (however apparently not through mainstream Apple dealers)

Those non-mainstream Apple dealers that are left, apparently. Can you confirm Think Secret's dirt on the latest Apple reseller contract? If that really went down, they're losing a lot of newly-acquired sales channels.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stagflation Steve

However, whether of not they can convince the Napster generation to pay for online music remains unclear

I can't speak for the rest of the Napster generation, but I'm in college now, and I'd gladly pay for reasonably priced songs. I wish these big record labels would offer their overseas artists as well. Obviously the majority of Americans won't be very interested, but I don't suppose it would hurt very much.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    yeah, the Think Secret story is pretty much dead on,

The main grievance we have these days is that Apple is trying to steal away our best customers, and we aren't just bitching about the retail stores. Apple is contacting our customers directly and trying to pickup their accounts directly as a result many dealers don't want to share our customer lists with Apple because we know Apple will try to steal our corporate accounts. And without those few valuble corporate accounts, it really isn't worth the trouble of selling Macs because the consumer market for macs is virtually non-existant, the margins are so small your often losing money selling them at MSRP and the Apple stores are targeting them directly.

Thanks Apple!

Since the return of Steve Jobs the relationship between Apple and it's dealers has been deteriorating almost constantly.

If we didn't also sell HP \\ Compaq we would have gone out of business last year
  • Reply 28 of 30
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    OK, somewhat off the subject, could the board administrators add some kind of a reminder every time there is an Apple Insider news item on the front page?

The point being that many of us have bookmarked the boards, and at the same time are totally skipping the AI front page. it could just be a simple reminder at the top of the boatds...

-Snowster
  • Reply 29 of 30
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Don't know if this is related but Apple provides free music for iDisk users. Go to Software/Extras/FreePlay Music/ and pick a genre.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Don't know if this is related but Apple provides free music for iDisk users. Go to Software/Extras/FreePlay Music/ and pick a genre.

It's been there for a while. It's royalty-free (and you'll understand why it's free when you listen to it) stock music, intended mainly for iMovies. Super-cheesy stuff for the most-part.

I downloaded the whole thing, burned it to a CD, and gave it to my Dad. When I told him about this in passing, he requested it for use in his (overproduced) PowerPoint presentations. Eesh.