Mac mini may keep existing form factor in 2023, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's update to the Mac mini may not undergo any changes in size or shape for a 2023 update, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who thinks the compact Mac may stay largely the same for a while longer.

The Mac mini hasn't undergone any major revisions in its size or shape over a number of iterations. While rumors say that there are changes on the way to the iconic design, one commentator feels that there may not be much change at all.

In a Saturday tweet, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of TF Securities posted "I think the new Mac mini in 2023 will likely remain the same form factor design."

Kuo's tweet practically goes against all of the rumors claiming the Mac mini will have a design refresh. One series of claims had the Mac mini incorporating a thinner design with a metal band around the edge and a polycarbonate top.

I think the new Mac mini in 2023 will likely remain the same form factor design.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Retaining the design style would also keep the Mac mini similar in appearance to the Mac Studio, which reuses the aluminum enclosure aesthetic and other elements it borrows from the Mac mini.

The tweet also follows others made by the analyst that features Apple's smallest desktop Mac, including one revising an expected release of the device from 2022 to 2023.

Following Apple's special event, in which the Mac mini was thought to feature, rumors have continued to predict what the next Mac mini could use. On Thursday, a report claimed the next model is set to use the M2 range, including an option featuring a 12-core M2 Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Happy with that. All it needs is a Mx Pro ASi in it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    In the last ten days Ming-Chi Kuo has had an all new Mac mini with an M2 coming out on the 8, all new Mac mini with M2 coming out in 2023 and the same Mac Minii with an M2 coming out in 2023. At this rate he is going to have a PowerPC G3 Mac mini coming out in 2024. I think the nex AI headline needs to be “ Ming-Chi Kuo really doesn’t know what is happening with the Mac mini” or maybe just stop reporting on his predictions?
    williamlondonlibertyandfreemwhitemuthuk_vanalingamapplguyfred1thtmjtomlinFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 12
    And water remains wet through 2023…
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Glad to hear this, there really is no need to  change the form factor. I would like to see Apple offer the mini and the Studio in Space Gray. I believe the current Intel version of the mini is still available in Space Gray.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    This is a good example of why they are often referred to as ANALysts.

Let's see now...

Apple just launched a BRAND NEW MAC PRODUCT that has undoubtedly been in development for YEARS with dozens (hundreds?) of prototype designs, all of which got nixed save the ONE winning design that is essentially a tall Mac mini. Basically Apple could have made the Mac Studio any shape they wanted including a circular trashcan, a cube, or a mini tower like the last AirPort Extreme and yet they chose the tall Mac mini. Did they simply not think outside the box?

Gee, perhaps crazy to imagine this but maybe Apple thinks this basic Mac mini design is pretty good.

I really wish AppleInsider (and other Mac sites) would track the accuracy of ANALysts like Starmine or sports analytics. Use something like OPS or WAR.

Hell, there should be a Fantasy ANALysts League. Bet money on the accuracy of these jokers. LOL, Gene Munster...

;) 

Let's also point out that the Mac mini has a big datacenter presence. There are tons of commercial grade accessories (like rackmount adapters, VESA mounts, etc.) for the current Mac mini form factor. Apple doesn't gain anything from making a future Mac mini 8" square or 7.5" square versus the existing 7.7" square.
    edited March 2022 TRAGwilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Honestly, I don't think he knows his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to the next Mac mini. He's gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. 
    fred1
  • Reply 7 of 12
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    mpantone said:
    This is a good example of why they are often referred to as ANALysts.

Let's see now...

Apple just launched a BRAND NEW MAC PRODUCT that has undoubtedly been in development for YEARS with dozens (hundreds?) of prototype designs, all of which got nixed save the ONE winning design that is essentially a tall Mac mini. Basically Apple could have made the Mac Studio any shape they wanted including a circular trashcan, a cube, or a mini tower like the last AirPort Extreme and yet they chose the tall Mac mini. Did they simply not think outside the box?

Gee, perhaps crazy to imagine this but maybe Apple thinks this basic Mac mini design is pretty good.

I really wish AppleInsider (and other Mac sites) would track the accuracy of ANALysts like Starmine or sports analytics. Use something like OPS or WAR.

Hell, there should be a Fantasy ANALysts League. Bet money on the accuracy of these jokers. LOL, Gene Munster...

;) 

Let's also point out that the Mac mini has a big datacenter presence. There are tons of commercial grade accessories (like rackmount adapters, VESA mounts, etc.) for the current Mac mini form factor. Apple doesn't gain anything from making a future Mac mini 8" square or 7.5" square versus the existing 7.7" square.

Appletrack do it. Ming Chi Kuo at about 3/4 accurate so far…

https://appletrack.com/leaderboard/
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Now all we need is a headline that says:
    Mac mini may or may not keep existing form factor in 2023, says Ming-Chi Kuo”.

and his prediction will be 100% accurate!
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Currently running multiple Late 2014 Mac Minis and need an upgrade as OS Monterey is tragically over burdened. Studio Pro is overkill for our needs and M1 is not right for us as Apple has a habit of abandoning first generation ships early. Hoping that M2 16 g or 32 G ram units will be ready in time for WWDC.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    In the last ten days Ming-Chi Kuo has had an all new Mac mini with an M2 coming out on the 8, all new Mac mini with M2 coming out in 2023 and the same Mac Minii with an M2 coming out in 2023. At this rate he is going to have a PowerPC G3 Mac mini coming out in 2024. I think the nex AI headline needs to be “ Ming-Chi Kuo really doesn’t know what is happening with the Mac mini” or maybe just stop reporting on his predictions?
    If you make enough predictions, one of them is bound to be right. That's the one you remind people of when it happens.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Interesting. 

I’d think the Mac mini could be cut in half and be fine. Really it could be cut into thirds. MacBook Pro thickness. This would work even up to the max chip. 

Would save raw materials making it easier to manufacture and save even more vertical real estate. 

Keeping the same form factor is just lazy. 

It’s not as if the Mac Studio took a long time to design the housing. It’s basically a Mac mini with more holes, an extruded circular bottom, and made taller. The studio display itself is just a smaller, downgraded pro display with simpler perforations. There’s overhead for the industrial design team to spend some time shortening a rounded cube. 

It’s a testament to Jony Ive that his designs remain at the pinnacle of aesthetics in such a competitive market for more than a decade. The guy had a knack for getting it right from the hit. Everything was so well thought through, there was nothing else to do. The new teams would do well to revisit recent history and apply that kind of dedication and “overkill” to their designs. 

Literally everyone has a valid suggestion on how to improve new apple designs. When Ive was designing, it was so hard to find something to improve on, they just didn’t. And even the new MacBooks with major performance upgrades are a backward step in terms of aesthetics. The new iMac is also not really that new looking. Give it black borders and it’s nearly identical to the old iMac - but thinner thanks to the m1. To really try to make it different, they just gave it s vintage Ive paint job. 

Really miss the days of Jony churning out industrial works of art. I’m sure a leader will arise from the new crew, but it can’t come fast enough. 
    edited March 2022 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Kuo sees and hears a lot of things from the supply chain, but putting it all together is not easy, especially when it comes to Macs, as opposed to mobile devices.

So he was hearing and seeing a lot of things that pointed to the Mac Studio, but he understandably thought that meant the Mini was getting a Pro version, which is what he predicted. Which is pretty much exactly what the Mac Studio is, except they aren't calling it the Mini, because the Mini is going to live on a separate product.

So now Kuo sits back and reflects on what he saw and heard, and he concludes the M2 Mini is not going to change form factor. However, most likely this is just him saying he's got nothing left that indicates a change in the Mini's form factor. The reality is that such a change could and certainly would use components from the MacBook line. So there might not be anything in the supply chain to indicate a change in form factor. 

My own instinct is that the fact the Studio has exactly the same footprint as the current Mini means the new Mini will change its form factor. Apple will want the Mini to be clearly differentiated from the Studio. So it will shrink in size and basically be a MacBook without the Book, as it were. It wouldn't surprise me if there were no M2 Pro version of the Mini at all. That all the rumors of a Mini Pro were based on information about the Studio...
    PascalxxFileMakerFeller