First 'They Call Me Magic' Apple TV+ trailer teases the basketball star documentary

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has released the first trailer for "They Call Me Magic," an Apple TV+ documentary about the life and career of famed basketball star Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

Published to YouTube on Saturday, the first look at the four-part documentary reveals the miniseries will cover Johnson's basketball career and beyond. Starting from where his "Magic" name came from, the documentary will cover his on-court activities, his departure, and shift towards entrepreneurship and community activism.

The documentary mixes together footage throughout his life with interviews from a long list of major names. Along with sports stars Shaquille O'Neil and Michael Jordan, other personalities include movie star Samuel L. Jackson, musical artists LL Cool J and Snoop Dogg, former President Barack Obama, and others, as well as Johnson himself.

Directed by Rick Famuyiwa accompanied by editor Dirk Westervelt and cinematographer Rachel Morrison, the docuseries is produced for Apple by XTR and New Slate Ventures, in association with H. Wood Media and Delirio Films.

First announced on February 4, the trailer arrives shortly after the documentary made its debut at the 2022 SXSW Film Festival.

"They Call Me Magic" will premiere on Apple TV+ on April 22.

Read on AppleInsider