iPad Air 5 benchmarks show identical performance to 11-inch iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2022
As expected, early benchmarks show the iPad Air 5 scores identically to the 11-inch iPad Pro thanks to both devices using the M1 processor.

The iPad Air 5 uses the M1, so it has identical performance to its pro counterpart
The iPad Air 5 uses the M1, so it has identical performance to its pro counterpart

Reviewers are running the iPad Air 5 through Geekbench, and the scores don't show anything surprising. In fact, the numbers only differ by what can be attributed to rounding errors and per-run changes.

The iPad Air 5 is listed as "iPad13,17" in Geekbench, and it shows a 1711 single-core score and 7233 multi-core score in one CPU test. Which is similar to the 11-inch iPad Pro with a 1718 single-core score and 7313 multi-core score.

The Metal score, which determines GPU performance, shows 21,539 for one of the iPad Air 5 tests. The 11-inch iPad Pro shows a 21,498.

Geekbench gets these scores by running a series of benchmark tests in an iOS app. The scores can be affected by battery charge level, external temperature, and other factors. Which explains the different numbers across tests and devices running the same chipset.

Comparing the 11-inch iPad Pro and the iPad Air 5 in Geekbench
Comparing the 11-inch iPad Pro and the iPad Air 5 in Geekbench

The M1 processor was first introduced for use in the Mac, but was later added to the iPad Pro lineup instead of Apple's usual "X" series chips. Apple including the M1 in the iPad Air is somewhat perplexing since it places this mid-range tablet's performance in line with the "pro" tablet lineup.

The processor isn't the whole story, however, since there are still several exclusive features for the iPad Pro that keep the product differentiated. They can have up to 2TB of storage, 16GB of RAM, and use ProMotion displays. The iPad Air is limited to 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage and a max refresh rate of 60Hz.

The iPad Air 5 ships on Friday, March 18 in five colors starting at $599 for 64GB. It has a faster USB-C port, 5G, and the M1 processor.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Curious. What is the point of buying the pro at this point? 

I have a 1st gen iPad Pro. Still works flawlessly. 

But thinking of getting the m1 version. 

So what’s the difference between the latest Pro and Air? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

1.  Pro has double the base storage (128GB vs 64GB)
    2.  Pro has FaceID (personal preference of course)
    3.  Pro has TB4 USB-C vs USB-C 10Gps
    4.  Pro has quad-speakers
    5.  Pro has 120hz ProMotion screen (this one alone is worth $200 for a lot of users)
    6.  If you need more than 256GB storage and / or 8GB RAM then you have no choice but to go Pro

If you don't need more than 64GB of storage and the extra features then go iPad Air.  But if you decide you need to step up to the next storage tier, you're better off spending the extra money and going Pro.  Just my 2 cents.
    edited March 2022 muthuk_vanalingamdewmebyronlscstrrffastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10

If you’re used to Pro motion you will regret going backwards to 60 Hz. If you have thunderbolt devices that you use with your iPad you will regret opting for usb-c 10 gbps. Go pro or go home is my advice. 
    byronlfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10

If you’re used to Pro motion you will regret going backwards to 60 Hz. If you have thunderbolt devices that you use with your iPad you will regret opting for usb-c 10 gbps. Go pro or go home is my advice
    Agree.  You get quite a bit for the extra $200
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Just a small thing, but it’s something that I really enjoy. The difference in microphones. I had a 10. 5 inch iPad Pro which I believe is the identical microphone set up to the new iPad Air. Now that I have the M1 iPad Pro with its magnificent microphone array there is a definite difference in whether or not Siri hears me, over a podcast that I might be listening to or other media. As I say, a small thing, but if I want Siri to turn out the lights it’s much more handy to have Siri that actually hears me. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member

5.  Pro has 120hz ProMotion screen (this one alone is worth $200 for a lot of users)
    6.  If you need more than 256GB storage and / or 8GB RAM then you have no choice but to go Pro

If you don't need more than 64GB of storage and the extra features then go iPad Air.  But if you decide you need to step up to the next storage tier, you're better off spending the extra money and going Pro.  Just my 2 cents.
    Great answer. Thanks for compiling that. 
    canukstormbyronlscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10

One more thing I forgot.  As someone else mentioned above, the iPad Pro has a better mic system as well.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Next iPad Pro update = M2 Pro Chip
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

This is tangentially related to the ProMotion stuff, but the Pencil is far more responsive because of it. I don't recall for sure and don't have time to look it up, but I *think* the lamination of the screen is tighter on the Pro so the LCD is closer to the glass as well making Pencil more like it's writing directly on screen etc. I think the screen is a bit brighter as well — even in the 11", but the 12.9" of course has the mini-LED array which is far superior to either 11" models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member

Pro has better cameras and LIDAR is you deal with 3D world.
    watto_cobra