Apple's tvOS 15.4 update arrives with support for joining captive WiFi networks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2022
Apple has rolled out its tvOS 15.4 update alongside the HomePod software 15.4 and third-generation Apple TV software updates.

Like many tvOS updates, this one is primarily focused on platform stability, bug fixes, and ecosystem improvements.

The tvOS update will be installed automatically, but it can be manually installed onto an Apple TV via the Settings app as well.

Updates to tvOS are generally incremental maintenance releases, adding support for products and services while also improving the experience in small ways. The build number for this release is19L440.

Apple has also added support for Captive WiFi networks. This allows users to use iPhone or iPad to connect an Apple TV to networks that need additional sign-in steps, like at hotels or dorms.

HomePod owners can update to the new HomePod software version 15.4 via the Home app settings menu. Apple also released a minor update for the third-generation Apple TV that uses pre-tvOS software.

In December, Apple Released tvOS 15.1, which added support for Apple Music Voice, Apple's new budget Apple Music plan.

In October, Apple released tvOS 15.1 which introduced SharePlay to the public, and added a handful of new screensavers. SharePlay, which Apple announced during WWDC 2021, allows users to watch video content with others while on a FaceTime call.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Too bad Apple did not issue a fix for the craptastic original HomePod. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 2 of 7
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The fix for captive networks is years late -- it should have been addressed a long time ago. Companies started to put a little browser on devices just to get through network access dialogs something like 20 years ago. The failure for ATV to have this burned me on a trip several years past.
    llamascstrrfdoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    It would be very convenient to be able to update Apple TV from the Home App, especially for people who have multiple Apple TV devices. The Home app seems vastly underutilized.
    llamascstrrf
  • Reply 4 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Skeptical said:
    Huh? Just updated mine today. And love, love my multiple original HPs. I’m with Gruber on this - they sound great  and fill up my rooms. We tested a popular sound bar with blind AB tests and the dual HPs won. 
    scstrrfjony0chasm
  • Reply 5 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    The main problem with the HomePod is the exact same main problem with the AirPods max: a ludicrous price.
    there are other problems at launch, no ports, did not play well outside Apple ecosystem etc.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 7

This update has issues.

The Apple TV is now not deinterlacing correctly.

I see those "scan lines" especially with motion.

I have been watching old shows, like All in The Family, on Amazon Prime, and these scan lines are terrible.

Was NOT doing this before the update (15.4) came out on Monday.

It does it on any streaming app with interlaced content.

Amazon Prime video app is now not usable.

After it plays an add, and resumes the program, the audio continues to play, but it shows a black screen with text on the bottom "Your video will resume in 0s". can not back out or close app. Have to Power cycle the Apple TV 4K.

Other bugs...

The Siri Orb does not auto turn off after you trigger it and use it. it just stays there until you press the back button.

• Reply 7 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Skeptical said:
    Huh? Just updated mine today. And love, love my multiple original HPs. I’m with Gruber on this - they sound great  and fill up my rooms. We tested a popular sound bar with blind AB tests and the dual HPs won. 
    Oh, StrangeDays, you must have imagined that. Like me, you clearly own HomePods and can actually check for updates and install them. We’ve obviously been taken in by the Reality Distortion Effect.

Only Skeptical, who clearly does not own a HomePod and is certainly no fool or mindless troll, can proclaim that Apple didn’t update them. Despite the evidence of our eyes and HomePods, he must be right!