iPhone 14 Pro models to feature taller screen, Apple ditching 'mini' model

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
Some models in Apple's upcoming iPhone 14 lineup could sport taller screens and new satellite features, but may not come in a "mini" variant, according to a new report.

iPhone 14 render
iPhone 14 render

The iPhone 14 is expected to launch later in 2022, and according to recent rumors, the iPhone 14 Pro models could make the move to A16 chips while the base iPhone 14 models could stay on an upgraded version of Apple's A15.

On Monday, 9to5Mac said its sources corroborated the differing chips in the "iPhone 14." The report also added new details about the upcoming smartphones.

For example, Apple will reportedly drop the 5.4-inch "mini" model in favor of two 6.1-inch versions and two 6.7-inch variants. The new devices will retain the same display resolution as their iPhone 13 predecessors.

However, the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max could have a slightly taller screen because of the pill-shape and hole-punch design. Previous rumors have indicated that the new notch replacement is coming first to the Pro models in 2022.

As far as other tidbits, sources told 9to5Mac that Apple is working on satellite communication features. However, it's reportedly unclear whether those features -- which are codenamed "Stewie" -- will be ready in time for the Fall 2022 lineup.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    No mini?  That's fine.
    I'm sure my 12 mini will hold up until they try it again for 15 or 16 series.
    kiowawalam92103mangakattenwilliamlondonJWSCfred1entropysbandits1bala1234
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Same as Baconstang.  Love my mini.  Never had one, went 8plus to mini and it’s awesome.  Everything I needed. And small. Easier to take on runs, etc.  No interest in the larger ones and will likely also wait until they go mini again if the rumor is true this time (was also rumored before the 13).  
    williamlondonJWSCfred1entropysbandits1
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I'm also on the 12 Mini.

If there's no 14 Mini, then I'll be in the awkward position of buying a new 13 Mini when the 14's come out this fall. If this is the phone I'm gonna be using for the next five years or so, I'm at least gonna need the model with the better battery. :\
    edited March 2022 williamlondontshapibaconstangentropysbandits1
  • Reply 4 of 15
    lam92103lam92103 Posts: 125member
    On the 12 Mini too and lovin it
    williamlondonentropys
  • Reply 5 of 15
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    I think the mini business will shift into the SE business. 

When Apple releases the next version of the SE. it will be with the notch, since apple will have killed the notch by then. 
    edited March 2022 sconosciuto
  • Reply 6 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If Apple can create iPhone Mini like iPhone SE4 with integrated touchid in power button, edge-to-edge screen and dual camera,least of features at lower price.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    So glad I got the 13 mini.  I love everything about this phone.  Especially the “pocketability”!
    baconstangApple-a-dayentropys
  • Reply 8 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’m waiting for the 10” iPhone and 12” iPhone Max.

tshapi said:

When Apple releases the next version of the SE. it will be with the notch, since apple will have killed the notch by then. 

I don’t see the point in keeping the notch just to “punish” customers who paid less. 

I’m betting they’re trying to eliminate the notch so a smaller iPhone looks better. Remember, the notch looks bigger on smaller displays. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Going out on a limb (or maybe not so much), within a year of the 14 releasing (maybe the March-ish after), the 4th Gen iPhone SE is just the mini form factor?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    They need to bring a „Pro Mini“ just like they have a „pro Max“. I want the best camera and highest portability. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    One more vote for the Mini. My 12 Mini is exactly what I want. I hope they bring them back by the time I need to upgrade. 
    baconstangentropys
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    tshapi said:

The Mini was never meant to just hit a price point, like the SE.
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 15
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    Maybe 14 Pro mini instead?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Trouble with the pro camera system in a mini is it would take out a chunk of the battery space.

pS love my 12 mini. Best phone I ever had.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 15 of 15
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    Beats said:

I’m betting they’re trying to eliminate the notch so a smaller iPhone looks better. Remember, the notch looks bigger on smaller displays. 
    You Mini people go to bizarre lengths to justify the phone's existence.
    jcs2305