DO NOT UPGRADE TO 12.3! (if you have any external monitors)

Posted:
in macOS
12.3 seems to break all (or certainly most) external monitor connections.

Quite how such an enormous issue got through the beta program and into a final release is beyond me.

I've lost both my external USB-C monitors and having to rely on a tiny iPad Mini to get any kind of second screen usability for Slack. Absolute disaster, completely rely on having 3 monitors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,899administrator

Quite how such an enormous issue got through the beta program and into a final release is beyond me.

I've lost both my external USB-C monitors and having to rely on a tiny iPad Mini to get any kind of second screen usability for Slack. Absolute disaster, completely rely on having 3 monitors.
    Your experience seems to be an outlier. Tell Apple about it, for sure, but there aren't mass reports of this. 

In fact, I am looking at this text I am typing to you through USB-C as we speak.
  • Reply 2 of 7

Your experience seems to be an outlier. Tell Apple about it, for sure, but there aren't mass reports of this. 

In fact, I am looking at this text I am typing to you through USB-C as we speak.
    I daresay it's not affected everyone, and clearly not if you're using it ok - but there are other forums full of the same problems being reported. I think 'outlier' seems generous!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Have seen on another thread that someone had success by switching from DisplayPort version 1.4 to 1.2 on their monitor, which might suggest why some aren't affected if they're limited to the older protocol.

Sadly, my monitors don't seem to allow me to switch.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Have seen on another thread that someone had success by switching from DisplayPort version 1.4 to 1.2 on their monitor, which might suggest why some aren't affected if they're limited to the older protocol.

What are your displays?
  • Reply 5 of 7

What are your displays?
    Just cheap Chinese ones off Amazon - branded as Wimaxit. USB-C or HDMI, but I use them as USB-C for signal/power. 

I get power from the Mac but no signal, and there's nothing in the settings about DP version that I can see.
  • Reply 6 of 7

What are your displays?
    Just cheap Chinese ones off Amazon - branded as Wimaxit. USB-C or HDMI, but I use them as USB-C for signal/power. 

I get power from the Mac but no signal, and there's nothing in the settings about DP version that I can see.
    Okay. We'll look into it, but it's not even to the threshold of the GPU thing that we reported this morning yet. 

If it was a universal problem, social would be absolutely on fire with it, since the vast majority of portable Macs that have been released since 2016 are USB-C/TB3 only.
  • Reply 7 of 7

Okay. We'll look into it, but it's not even to the threshold of the GPU thing that we reported this morning yet. 

If it was a universal problem, social would be absolutely on fire with it, since the vast majority of portable Macs that have been released since 2016 are USB-C/TB3 only.
    Agreed, though it seems (possibly) to affect certain use cases more than others, or maybe exclusively. It seems to affect Mac mini users more than MBP, and in a lot of cases it works ok for a single external screen but not a second, and also seems more reliable for HDMI, possibly. Also the DisplayPort spec seems relevant. 

Couple of threads with some more feedback, Macrumors and Apple.

Thanks again.