Apple Watch reminds parent that having kids can lead to hearing loss

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Unsurprisingly, a crying child triggers Apple Watch environmental noise warnings when wailing hits 90 decibels.

The Apple Watch can warn users of loud environments
The Apple Watch can warn users of loud environments

The Apple Watch has a variety of health features and one lesser-known one is environmental noise monitoring. After being set up in the Noise app, the Apple Watch will alert the wearer if they are in danger of exceeding their daily recommended dose of loud noises.

One parent received the Loud Environment notification on their Apple Watch while near their crying child. The notification told them that exposure to sounds at 90 decibels or higher for 30 minutes in a day could lead to temporary hearing loss.

The Apple Health app describes 90 decibels as the equivalent of standing next to a running motorcycle. Of course, the parent didn't need any help from their wearable when determining if the baby was too loud.

Apple warns that exposure to this volume without hearing protection should be limited to only 4 hours per week. At least for now, iCloud notifications aren't compatible with babies.

Thanks to the increasing presence of technology like the Apple Watch, researchers are able to determine more about how modern humans live their lives and how society impacts their health. One Apple Watch-driven study showed that over 25% of participants were exposed to more loud environmental noises on average than the World Health Organization recommends.

Read on AppleInsider
dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    This is exactly the correct amount of snark I need to start my day. I salute you.
    cg27JinTechTRAGjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    After reproduction, we are all on marked time. Evolution doesn’t need us anymore. Especially once they are grown.
    next up: having grandkids accelerates ageing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Barking dogs will drown out any wailing child. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    I watch some videos on Youtube of people being arrested, and when law enforcement officers shout out, "Hey Sir," it triggers "Hey Siri" on my HomePods.

I'd like to see someone write a pop song called "Hey Siri" and lines in the song would do crazy things in everyone's smart homes. E.g.,

Hey Siri, flash the lights like twinklers, (<-- this toggled my lights)
    Hey Siri, turn on all the sprinklers, (<--I presume this would work if I had them)
    Hey Siri, tell me a joke for fun, (<-- this worked)
    hey Siri, do not call 9-1-1. (<-- I'm too scared to try this)
    BeatsdewmeTRAGwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I’ve seen a meme with this pic last week.  Guess it’s going viral now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    larryjw said:
    Barking dogs will drown out any wailing child. 
    The barking of our Great Dane induces sympathetic vibrations in the ductwork of the house. It sings with the dog.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It does remind me of my 18 year old when she was about 2 refusing to go to bed. 
    I was working late at the time. And SWMBO would put Miss Entropy to bed and then she would start up.
    walking down the hill from the bus I would hear her scream-crying from at least 300m away. Easily louder than a dog. It was truly impressive and last about twenty minutes. Then out like a light.  
    All the neighbours would have heard it clearly, but never said anything. Probably felt sorry for us.

now of course she sleeps in till lunchtime. Training to be an engineer but also does dance and musical theatre and doesn’t need a mic.
    number three that followed was the opposite. You would go up to check all the time just because she was so quiet.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra