New leaked 'iPhone 14 Pro' renders back up hole-punch rumors

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
A new series of purported "iPhone 14 Pro" 3D CAD renders back up previous leaked details, including claims of a hole-punch design instead of a notch.

Source: 91mobiles
Source: 91mobiles

Leaks about the forthcoming "iPhone 14 Pro" started even before the iPhone 13 Pro was launched. Now a new set of what are said to be 3D CAD renders claim to show the whole design of the next iPhone.

According to 91mobiles, the "iPhone 14 Pro" will sport a new design, but only from the front.

Leaked iPhone 14 Pro CAD renders

So much for a flat camera on the back https://t.co/cDtJxVt7zd pic.twitter.com/G7rOLlvF6a

-- Joshua Swingle (@JoshuaSwingle)

Notably, despite rumors that the regular camera bump would be going away, these renders show one that is seemingly at least as large as on the current iPhones.

Apple has regularly been reported to be working on periscope lenses, which would potentially mean a slimmer design. However, they don't appear to be in the forthcoming "iPhone 14 Pro."

The distinctive notch, however, will be going away. It is to be replaced by "a pill-shaped cutout on the display and a smaller circular cutout to accommodate the Face ID sensors and selfie camera." The phone will have a "premium look," with symmetrical bezels.

Despite previous rumors that "iPhone 14" will go eSIM-only, these renders show a regular SIM tray.

The publication says that its source reports the "iPhone 14 Pro" will keep the same 6.1-inch display as the current model.

Previously, 91mobiles has correctly reported on iPhone 13 Pro leaks, and iPad ones too.

Separately, there are reports that the new "Pro" models will feature an Apple A16 processor, while the lower-cost versions will remain on A15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    The port in that CAD is inconclusive. I wonder if we’ll still be expected to get our 4K/60fps ProRes video off the Pro models over Lightning’s painful USB 2 speeds, or whether we’ll get a USB-C connector for that. 

I’d expect the non-Pro devices to remain Lightning. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    That looks a very Apple solution that will allow Face ID to exist while reducing the size of the "notch" area.

mr lizard said:
    The port in that CAD is inconclusive. I wonder if we’ll still be expected to get our 4K/60fps ProRes video off the Pro models over Lightning’s painful USB 2 speeds, or whether we’ll get a USB-C connector for that. 

I’d expect the non-Pro devices to remain Lightning. 
    Are you suggesting that it's impossible to use a USB 3.0 speeds with a Lightning connector?
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The removal of the ‘bunion-like’ camera bump is long overdue. In my humble opinion significant sales will be lost and an opportunity to improve the aesthetic appearance of the otherwise stunning phone will be missed if Apple continue to manufacture this new phone with a camera bump. It has always appeared out of place and not in line with Apple’s continual strive to produce beautiful hardware. They really must endeavour to streamline this phone and loose that horrendous appendage that does nothing to improve the aesthetics of the device  and in so doing, set them head and shoulders above the competition. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 834member
    McCorky said:
    The removal of the ‘bunion-like’ camera bump is long overdue. In my humble opinion significant sales will be lost and an opportunity to improve the aesthetic appearance of the otherwise stunning phone will be missed if Apple continue to manufacture this new phone with a camera bump. It has always appeared out of place and not in line with Apple’s continual strive to produce beautiful hardware. They really must endeavour to streamline this phone and loose that horrendous appendage that does nothing to improve the aesthetics of the device  and in so doing, set them head and shoulders above the competition. 
    I laughed out loud when I read the rumors that the camera bump would disappear on the iPhone 14. Considering that Apple just had to INCREASE the size of the bump on the 13 Pro models to accommodate the latest optical system, there was no way it was going to disappear a year later. Someday? Sure. But not yet, and probably not by the iPhone 15 model, either. Fast lenses, tele lenses, big sensors and advanced image stabilization systems just haven't been miniaturized enough yet to allow for a flat back iPhone Pro. The lenses alone may require a whole new technology, especially if Apple goes with increased optical reach greater than 3X on its tele lens. I'd prefer no camera bump myself, but I'd rather have the better camera system of the Pro models. 
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    charlesn said:
    McCorky said:
    I laughed out loud when I read the rumors that the camera bump would disappear on the iPhone 14. Considering that Apple just had to INCREASE the size of the bump on the 13 Pro models to accommodate the latest optical system, there was no way it was going to disappear a year later. Someday? Sure. But not yet, and probably not by the iPhone 15 model, either. Fast lenses, tele lenses, big sensors and advanced image stabilization systems just haven't been miniaturized enough yet to allow for a flat back iPhone Pro. The lenses alone may require a whole new technology, especially if Apple goes with increased optical reach greater than 3X on its tele lens. I'd prefer no camera bump myself, but I'd rather have the better camera system of the Pro models. 
    It's not so much they have removed it they just expanded it to cover the whole back of the phone.

I guess the question with this pill dot situation is will the blacked-out part of the screen hug both of them to make it a single shape. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    McCorky said:
    Best selling handsets in the world, sorry but your opinion is not worth much. Most consumers value better-looking photos to remember their lives by more than your OCD about a device that's in the pocket, bag, or hand most of the time.

Function over form here, buddy.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    I would prefer that there isn’t a camera bump too, but like charlesn’s reaction, the rumor of a flat back without any camera bump was pure wishful thinking from the rumor chain. There’s still a long list of camera tech to climb, and virtually every one of them wants more thickness. The 48MP cam is one of those compromises where they are going to get more detail in brightly light scenes, but they are going to rely on some heavy algorithmic massaging for shots in dark scenes. And, if the image sensor has grown in size, it will need thicker lenses. 

I also would prefer no notches and no holes, even no rounded corners, in the display, but as long as people want thin bezels over a little bit of top and bottom bezel, we are going to live with them. Interesting that the drawing has the speaker move into the bezel, and the imaging sensors are beneath them. My eyes are saying they are deeper down into the screen than the wide notch is. Lots of compromise has to happen when you want so much functionality. 

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    McCorky said:
    If you paid attention to how much focus Apple put into their cameras you'd see that that bump is a wonderful tradeoff over having inferior image quality.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    In landscape orientation it looks like a lower case i for iPhone 😊
    watto_cobra