iPhone dominates North America, Western Europe as 5G surpasses 4G

Posted:
in General Discussion
The number of 5G smartphones being used across the globe surpassed 4G for the first time in January, with Apple's iPhone being a key driver in several regions.

Apple iPhone 12
Apple iPhone 12

In a new research report, Counterpoint Research analyzes 5G penetration data across the globe. It noted that three regions were largely responsible for the uptick in 5G's market share: China, North America, and Western Europe.

China had the highest global rate of 5G smartphone usage with penetration at 84% in January 2022. Counterpoint attributes this to a push from Chinese telecom operators, as well as manufacturers releasing competitively priced 5G smartphones to consumers.

The 5G smartphone penetration rate in North America and Western Europe reached 73% and 76%, respectively, in January. Apple dominates both markets with a share of more than 50% in North America and 30% in Western Europe.

Counterpoint also indicates that both markets saw a natural surge in the sales of 5G smarpthones after Apple released the 5G-equipped iPhone 12 lineup in October 2020.

"These regions are expected to continue contributing substantially to 5G sales globally, as even without offering competitive specs, there is an immense and ongoing demand for a 5G upgrade within the iOS user base," Counterpoint wrote in the report.

In addition, iPhone users who have been holding onto their devices for years and who are ready for an upgrade are fueling the demand. For many users, Counterpoint estimates, upgraders are nearing four years of holding onto their older devices.

Going forward, the next areas of growth for 5G could be Asia-Pacific, the Middle East, and Latin America. Counterpoint notes that 5G-equipped smartphones in the sub-$150 range are the "sweet spot" for these regions.

Android smartphones with 5G are starting to trickle down to that price point, thanks to more affordable smartphone chips from MediaTek and Qualcomm. Low-end 5G chips are currently priced at above $20. When they cross the $20 threshold, the research firm says 5G-equipped devices will begin appearing in the sub-$150 price point.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
     as even without offering competitive specs, there is an immense and ongoing demand for a 5G upgrade within the iOS user base," Counterpoint wrote in the report.”

What the hell is this supposed to mean? What world is the author of this report living in?
    jas99
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aross99aross99 Posts: 95member
    Are these 5G phones being used with 5G plans?  Is 5G really a feature that people are upgrading for, or do the newer phones just happen to have 5G?  With the carriers charging more for 5G plans, I would be surprised to see people actually being able to use the 5G features.  Pretty much all of the people I know are upgrading to "get the new iPhone" or because their phone is broken, or a couple of years old.  Some upgrade for camera features, etc.  Don't know anyone who is looking for the 5G faster download, etc - especially if they have to change to a more expensive plan...
    lkruppmuthuk_vanalingamjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    payeco said:
    “ as even without offering competitive specs, there is an immense and ongoing demand for a 5G upgrade within the iOS user base," Counterpoint wrote in the report.”

What the hell is this supposed to mean? What world is the author of this report living in?
    Just the babbling of a “research” entity out to make a buck. Move on.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    aross99 said:
    Are these 5G phones being used with 5G plans?  Is 5G really a feature that people are upgrading for, or do the newer phones just happen to have 5G?  With the carriers charging more for 5G plans, I would be surprised to see people actually being able to use the 5G features.  Pretty much all of the people I know are upgrading to "get the new iPhone" or because their phone is broken, or a couple of years old.  Some upgrade for camera features, etc.  Don't know anyone who is looking for the 5G faster download, etc - especially if they have to change to a more expensive plan...
    Yes, my wife and I will be trading in our iPhone 8’s for either the SE or 13 but will not be upgrading to 5G service. We simply don't see any need for it on a phone yet. And besides, as an AT&T customer, my iPhone 8 already has 5Ge. It says so right on the phone screen. Oh wait. /s
    edited March 2022 jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    Yes, my wife and I will be trading in our iPhone 8’s for either the SE or 13 but will not be upgrading to 5G service. We simply don't see any need for it on a phone yet. And besides, as an AT&T customer, my iPhone 8 already has 5Ge. It says so right on the phone screen. Oh wait. /s
    Typically you don’t have to upgrade to 5G service. If you have a 5G phone you’ll receive 5G service unless you turn it off in the cellular settings. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    5G is still not abundantly available in the US, so most people won’t notice faster data speeds
    for a few more years once mmWave has more locations. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    5G for us on Xfinity is a separate plan and costs more. Not upgrading the plan.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    I have the 11 pro max and been getting 90 down and 20 up and just don’t see a compelling case to upgrade yet. For those who buy for the 5G, what is your use case? Totally get it for tech like life support in an ambulance connecting to the hospital to provide vital stats in real-time etc. But there is nothing yet that I do that remotely requires 5G. Carrier may come out with insane upgrade incentives but if not, I will keep this for another 3+ years I think. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    5G is still not abundantly available in the US, so most people won’t notice faster data speeds
    for a few more years once mmWave has more locations. 
    mmWave isn’t going to be the core of anyone’s 5G networks. The range is just way too limited. Things like a tree branch can completely block an mmWave signal. It’s why Verizon and AT&T just spent a shitload of money on C-Band/3.5GHz spectrum. mmWave is mainly going to be used in super dense places like Times Square in NYC or sports stadiums.

Speeds on T-Mobile’s midband 2.5GHz 5G network are averaging 500Mbps and even faster in places where the towers has a faster back haul connection. Upload speeds are also typically much faster as well, averaging 50Mbps. I get 1Gbps down and 130Mbps up on T-Mobile’s 2.5GHz spectrum network here in NYC. 

Ping times are also much better on 5G versus 4G, which is definitely noticeable to the average person when doing basic things like loading websites and such. Ping times with 5G are now essentially the same as you’d experience in your home internet connection. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    payeco said:
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    Typically you don’t have to upgrade to 5G service. If you have a 5G phone you’ll receive 5G service unless you turn it off in the cellular settings. 
    Simply not the case. You pay more for 5G service, not the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    payeco said:
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    Simply not the case. You pay more for 5G service, not the same.
    Not according to AT&T’s own website. You might want to double check that…
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mobirdmobird Posts: 754member
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    Like this??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mobird said:
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    Like this??
    Yes. After the Sprint lawsuit I thought AT&T agreed to remove the misleading nomenclature that made users think they had actual 5G service when they did not. But the bastards didn’t do it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mobird said:
    lkrupp said:
    aross99 said:
    Like this??

You’ve been posting this screenshot for like 2 years.

still makes me laugh. 
    muthuk_vanalingam