How the 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Max replaced our Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
It's been almost six months since Apple launched a redesigned pair of MacBook Pros. I've been using the 16-inch MacBook Pro with an M1 Max processor day-in and day-out. It's surprised me at how well it's adapted to my workflow.

The 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Max processor
The 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Max processor

As a refresher, the 16-inch MacBook Pro comes with two processor options, as does the 14-inch. Users can choose between the M1 Pro and the M1 Max SoC on the inside. I chose the latter.

These new chips boast a 10-core CPU with a 16-core Neural Engine, with memory bandwidth increased to 200GB/s on the M1 Pro and 400GB/s on the M1 Max.

Each also incorporates a new Media Engine as part of the SoC design, enabling hardware-accelerated H.264, HEVC, ProRes, and ProRes RAW decoding and encoding. On the M1 Max, the Media Engine has been improved further to include two video encode engines and two ProRes encode and decode engines, making it even better for video production.

All of these improvements are is before the built-in GPU power is taken into account. The M1 Pro is available with the 16-core GPU option only, but the M1 Max starts with a 24-core GPU and rises to a 32-core option -- which is what I've been using here.

The new chips also bring in extra memory options beyond what the M1 supports. Instead of capping at 16GB, the M1 Pro starts at that level of Unified Memory, with an option for 32GB.

On the M1 Max, your starting point is that same 32GB cap, but you can go up to 64GB if you want. The GPU also uses the Unified RAM, making sense to go all-out on memory when configuring it at purchase.

Ages ago, MacBook Pro used to be my go-to machine.

As my workflow evolved, I started leaning more into a desktop solution with an iPad Pro for on-the-go work. I began using the most recent Mac Pro for daily work, with an iPad Pro for specific tasks and on-the-go work. I loved the Mac Pro for its modularity, and I outfitted it with plenty of internal storage options, more RAM, and a new PCI-E GPU as time wore on.

The Mac Pro was great. The iPad Pro is still an invaluable piece of tech, but I got tired of waiting for Apple to bolster iPadOS for what I needed.

For what I'd want to use it for, the iPad's operating system is still hampered by poor external monitor support and no support for Apple's pro applications, such as Final Cut Pro. So we bit the bullet and went all-in on the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

My daily work bounces between copious photo editing, video production, and plenty of writing. The 16-inch MacBook Pro has proven adept at all of these functions in one product.

So, I turned to the 16-inch Mac Pro with the M1 Max full time.

True to form

The late 2021 refresh was the first MacBook Pro in five years to see any form of a redesign. The squared-off look returns to the 2008-era MacBook Pro general design ethos, with a modern spin.

It stacks better with other devices -- but neither we nor Apple recommend that.

HDMI and SD card readers
HDMI and SD card reader

There's no question that the return of ports has been beneficial. We love the array that Apple has chosen from HDMI to the card reader to plenty of USB-C. Apple could have done with one more Thunderbolt port on the right side, but overall it's a solid selection for your average user.

The HDMI port and SD card reader are underpowered, and in my workflow, I haven't used them since I picked up the machine. Apple chose an HDMI 2.0 port, and the SD card reader falls just short of the promised UHS-II maximum transfer speed.

I'd be happy if they disappeared and were replaced with another Thunderbolt port, but I know why Apple added them.

In daily use, I do use a Thunderbolt 4 dock, but primarily so I don't have to plug and unplug multiple accessories each time I move my Mac. Like we keep driving home, this is Apple's "one cable" idea, with everything connected to the machine with one cable that it's been trying off and on for three decades.

And after months of adjustments, I'm still conflicted about the Touch Bar. Every time I have to enter shipping information onto a site and I have to move from the keyboard to the mouse and choose individual parts of our address, I'm reminded how much easier the touch bar was.

The same goes for opening a recent file in Affinity Photo or jumping to a specific spot on the timeline inside of Final Cut Pro. Its existence was divisive, but it was a shame to see it go for those that used it -- including me.

Battery and charging

With the latest MacBook Pros, Apple gave users options. They can be charged with USB-C as they have for years, or they can charge via MagSafe. Apple's brought MagSafe back, and it can now fast charge with adequate power.

On my 16-inch MacBook Pro, the 140W GaN power brick can provide 50 percent power in only 30 minutes. This has proved to be exceptionally useful and has me using my Mac away from power more often. I can quickly charge up, then go and work where I please.

This varies amongst our staff. Mike Wuerthele doesn't use it and has no intention of doing so.

As the weather around here keeps improving, I'm excited to get back outside to write and edit in the sun.

The battery life is excellent, lasting hours between charges. Depending on how much video editing I'm doing, I can make it through almost an entire day of work without charging.

MagSafe on the 16-inch MacBook Pro
MagSafe on the 16-inch MacBook Pro

MagSafe has proved safer too, depending on the angle. Since the MagSafe connector is so long, it requires quite a bit of force to dislodge when pulled side to side. If pulled down, it comes free much more quickly.

While I've enjoyed the return of MagSafe, it does mean I'm packing an extra charger. I could still use USB-C as I do on my iPad, but I want the extra speed MagSafe offers. The good news is that there are options, and users can choose for themselves.

What do we want next

Using the current-generation 16-inch MacBook Pro for the last several months has given me perspective on how I'd like to continue to see Apple iterate. Some next-gen features are a given. It's undeniable we'll see new M2 Pro and M2 Max chips -- or other variations -- that will boost the performance further. Other changes aren't so concrete.

It would be great for Apple to finally adopt Wi-Fi 6E. This emerging standard unlocks an additional frequency band. Wi-Fi 6E routers will be able to run on the 6GHz spectrum, which can be helpful in cities or apartment buildings where the spectrum is crowded.

This may be one of the biggest updates to Wi-Fi in some time. Yet Apple hasn't deployed it, nor are there particularly cost-effective wireless access points. A portable Mac would be well-served with this new technology for future-proofing.

I'd also love, though I don't expect, Apple to drop the prices for upgrading storage and memory. Apple charges $400 to go from 16GB to 32GB of unified memory and even $200 to go from 512GB to 1TB of internal storage. Apple's customized options were often expensive, but they're pushing the boundary of acceptable.

The current 16-inch MacBook Pro
The current 16-inch MacBook Pro

There's been talk of Apple adding Face ID to future MacBook Pros, and I could take or leave it. Touch ID is fine, and Face ID would be an easier option for authentication, but I use my Mac in clamshell mode with an external display, making the addition of Face ID moot.

Every Mac, every project, every piece of hardware ever built by any manufacturer is an exercise in compromises. With the 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro and the M1 Max on the inside, that list is incredibly short. This machine is fast, sleek, powerful, full of ports, and packs a great battery.

The biggest change I've had to get used to is relying on external storage, rather than internal -- but that's not a new issue for mobile-centric Mac users. As long as I'm cognizant of the architectural differences and fundamental trade-offs between desktop and mobile Macs, the MacBook Pro has met every challenge I've thrown at it.

After months of use, I think Apple has created a near-perfect mobile Mac. But that Mac Studio is calling me.

Save up to $300 on Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro

Every 16-inch MacBook Pro model is eligible for an exclusive, triple-digit discount at Apple Authorized Reseller Adorama with this cost-saving activation link and promo code APINSIDER. AppleCare is also $80 off with the same code.

Detailed step-by-step instructions outlining how to activate the coupon can be found here, with the best MacBook Pro deals at your fingertips 24/7 in our 16-inch MacBook Pro Price Guide.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    "I still haven't used either of them..." —Andrew

I've never understood the reason to express that sentiment insofar as there are ALWAYS some features some people will use while others don't.  Same with software like Photoshop.  But as with Photoshop, why would we want to ask for feature deletion when you yourself simply don't use a given feature or set of features?  I mention this because I long debated with the Cupertino Status Quo worshippers (who worship the feature status quo of whatever is new from Cupertino) in this forum about the SD card slot -- back when Apple killed it off on the MBP and I argued for its return, but the naysayers bashed me by saying it's never coming back.  Ha!  Vindication! It's back!

With that said, I agree with Andrew that Apple should have given us the latest tech.  The Panasonic GH6 is an amazing camera and it comes with an SD Express slot along with another slot that is regular UHS-II.  So long as the Express slot is backward compatible and allows us to use full speed UHS-II cards too, I think an Express Slot on a MBP should be included.  That doesn't diminish the greatness of the 16" M1 Max MBP without Express right now.  It just is hope for a future update. 

All said, the SD card slot is very much needed by people such as myself and I LOVE the fact you don't need ANOTHER STUPID DONGLE to get it back.

As to HDMI, here's where I practice what I preach about NOT COMPLAINING about features I don't use.  I don't use HDMI.  But I know people who do and therefore I am super happy it's there for them.  I really am.  I have no desire whatsoever to moan that it takes up space.  I like the fact it's there, even if I personally don't use it.  Because hey...  Maybe I will one day!

What many of us love about the MBP of old is that it was packed with ports -- even ports some of us never used.  The fact we have everything we need WITHOUT A STUPID DONGLE is key.  There will always be times to connect other things like drives with a cable, and for that we need to Thunderbolt ports.  So it's not like those ports won't be used.  And if a multi-port adapter is needed in those cases, so be it, because in those cases, I will most likely be at home.

Pack the MBP full of features, let's let's all be happy.  That's my take on it.

And THANK YOU, APPLE for having reversed course and turned the naysayers on their heels by giving us back what you once took away.  It's refreshing!
    command_fmuthuk_vanalingamcrowleymacike
  • Reply 2 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    jdw said:

I've never understood the reason to express that sentiment insofar as there are ALWAYS some features some people will use while others don't.  Same with software like Photoshop.  But as with Photoshop, why would we want to ask for feature deletion when you yourself simply don't use a given feature or set of features?  I mention this because I long debated with the Cupertino Status Quo worshippers (who worship the feature status quo of whatever is new from Cupertino) in this forum about the SD card slot -- back when Apple killed it off on the MBP and I argued for its return, but the naysayers bashed me by saying it's never coming back.  Ha!  Vindication! It's back!

With that said, I agree with Andrew that Apple should have given us the latest tech.  The Panasonic GH6 is an amazing camera and it comes with an SD Express slot along with another slot that is regular UHS-II.  So long as the Express slot is backward compatible and allows us to use full speed UHS-II cards too, I think an Express Slot on a MBP should be included.  That doesn't diminish the greatness of the 16" M1 Max MBP without Express right now.  It just is hope for a future update. 

All said, the SD card slot is very much needed by people such as myself and I LOVE the fact you don't need ANOTHER STUPID DONGLE to get it back.

As to HDMI, here's where I practice what I preach about NOT COMPLAINING about features I don't use.  I don't use HDMI.  But I know people who do and therefore I am super happy it's there for them.  I really am.  I have no desire whatsoever to moan that it takes up space.  I like the fact it's there, even if I personally don't use it.  Because hey...  Maybe I will one day!

What many of us love about the MBP of old is that it was packed with ports -- even ports some of us never used.  The fact we have everything we need WITHOUT A STUPID DONGLE is key.  There will always be times to connect other things like drives with a cable, and for that we need to Thunderbolt ports.  So it's not like those ports won't be used.  And if a multi-port adapter is needed in those cases, so be it, because in those cases, I will most likely be at home.

And THANK YOU, APPLE for having reversed course and turned the naysayers on their heels by giving us back what you once took away.  It's refreshing!
    Hear, hear!

I've made this point repeatedly - the HDMI port is invaluable for people who do a lot of presenting. Virtually every conference room in the country has an HDMI plug to connect to the projector. Almost none of them have USB C. (Truth be told, I think DVI is still more common than USB C in this arena.) For this use, the latest technology isn't necessary, the port is. 
    command_fmuthuk_vanalingammacike
  • Reply 3 of 17
    omasouomasou Posts: 575member
    Thinking the industry will skip Wi-Fi 6E and go straight to Wi-Fi 7.

For me the MagSafe cable and brick never left the box and I have yet to use anything but the USB C ports. I primarily use the MBP closed as a desktop plugged into to 2 LG UF 5Ks but when on the go and using the MBP as intended, I do miss the TouchBar. I also miss the exterior styling and the weight is not worth the increase in battery life. It's like carrying a led brick.

Hoping the next MBP and Apple Studio Display have 4 x TB4 ports and FaceID. If they do it will be an expensive upgrade year for me :) b/c I'll also update my 2 SSDs/RAID to NVMe.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 4 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    omasou said:

For me the MagSafe cable and brick never left the box and I have yet to use anything but the USB C ports. I primarily use the MBP closed as a desktop plugged into to 2 LG UF 5Ks but when on the go and using the MBP as intended, I do miss the TouchBar. I also miss the exterior styling and the weight is not worth the increase in battery life. It's like carrying a led brick.

Hoping the next MBP and Apple Studio Display have 4 x TB4 ports and FaceID. If they do it will be an expensive upgrade year for me :) b/c I'll also update my 2 SSDs/RAID to NVMe.
    do you actually need 4 TB ports? My understanding is the HDMI & SD card ports took the place (and bandwidth) of one of the ports, leaving 3 remaining, there aren't many people who truly need 4 TB4 ports. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    All of these improvements are is before the built-in GPU power is taken into account.”

Would go with “are” personally. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I have the 14" M1 Pro.  8C/14C, 32GB, 1TB.   With the number of options, making a decision is not hard per se, but it does require some thought.  My process was as follows:  

Cores/GPU Cores:  I read some test results and concluded that not only did I not need the M1 Max, I didn't need more CPU or GPU cores.  I do a lot of typing work, email, browsing, basic photo editing, and relatively light video editing (able to be accomplished with iMovie).  I do some basic audio work as well.  Looking at the early tests, upgrading the processor was just not worth it for me.  

Memory:  I do work with a lot of applications simultaneously, often with multiple files open in each (two email apps, Word, Excel, multiple folders, many browser tabs, multiple desktops, etc.).   32GB was easily worth the $400 for me.  

Storage:  My previous MBP (2015 15") had 256GB (it was a crowd-funded donation).  In the past I had or upgraded to 512GB. Neither was enough, so I went with the 1TB option for $200 more.  This was worth it to me as well, as I frequently store fairly large files (10GB+), at least temporarily (e.g. processing 4K drone video).  

Size:  This was the biggest debate for me.  I've always had the larger screen size...for twenty years, going back to my Pismo PowerBook. I was coming from a 15".  I finally looked at cost, portability, and the fact that the bevel was half the size on the new machine.  It's taken a bit to get used to, but I think I'm adjusted now.  

Overall, it's a great machine.  It's far more powerful than my mid-2015 was.  Battery life is probably double, though it would be a stretch to get to the advertised life (14 hours!).  At maximum brightness and without any attempt to conserve, I get about 5-6 hours.  Realistically, I think getting 8-10 hours with some moderate conservation would be realistic.   The keyboard and display are fantastic.  The only issue I've encountered is my LG super drive does not work (it seems to be known issue without a solution right now).  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I have yet to (without great effort) get the fans to run on my 16-inch MBP M1 Max (maxed out, except for a 4TB drive, not an 8TB one). I've maybe gotten three beach balls since it arrived in late November. None of which locked up the system or made a restart necessary. I mainly work in one place at my standing desk, but when I unhook and go to our living room in the evening, or outside during the day, the battery has never run down past 80% full. My prior Intel MBP would routinely run out of juice in less than three or four hours.

The screen is superb. I gave my LG Ultrafine monitor to my wife, because the 16-inch real estate is perfect for my current workload. (We've never had a problem with the LG, btw. I see a lot of issues mentioned out there, but we seem to have avoided them.).

Glad to have MagSafe back, but I seem to have to move the cable around a bit to get full contact with the magnet. I was not clamoring for extra ports. Highly unlikely I will ever use the HDMI port. I just mirror to AppleTVs now and then, at home or the rare occasion I'm at the office. I already had an SD dongle, so no great gain there. I would have rather have had four Thunderbolt ports, but I rarely fill more than three.

Now that the Mac Studio has arrived, I see a much smaller market for the Mac Pro. I believe the Apple Silicon Mac Pro will be a 'one-shot and done' product.
    MplsPwatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 8 of 17
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    omasou said:
    Ummm no, the "industry" will not skip 6E and wait 3-5 years for 7.  

I don't understand this obsession to perpetually defer a purchase simply because something new is down the road. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    MplsP said:
    omasou said:

do you actually need 4 TB ports? My understanding is the HDMI & SD card ports took the place (and bandwidth) of one of the ports, leaving 3 remaining, there aren't many people who truly need 4 TB4 ports. 
    What I don’t need is HDMI or SD. I don’t particularly need a “4th TB4” but would use another USB-C port and if USB-C then why not TB4. I mean it is Apple and everyone says we pay a premium so may as well have the latest ports. Also less for me to keep track of…so is this USB-C port the one that’s USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 or 4
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 10 of 17
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    jdw said:

I’d rather have the option of an extra multi-use Thunderbolt bolt that can be used for different things via dongles, than be lumbered with STUPID PORTS like HDMI and SD that are limited to a single-use. Seems Apple listened to the loud-mouth moaners this time….
    omasouwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    seanj said:
    jdw said:

I’d rather have the option of an extra multi-use Thunderbolt bolt that can be used for different things via dongles, than be lumbered with STUPID PORTS like HDMI and SD that are limited to a single-use. Seems Apple listened to the loud-mouth moaners this time….
    If there are enough loud-mouth moaners then damn right Apple should listen to them.

I'm with jdw.  And while I rarely need more than one USB-C port, HDMI and SD are both very useful on a regular basis.  The §± key however, I never use, so I demand that Apple remove it for my convenience.  Only load mouth moaners would say different.
    jdw
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Even though the new 2021 MacBook Pro uses WiFi 6, its connection is still slower than my old 2015 MacBook Pro (WiFi 5/802.11ac). The 2021 MBP doesn't use the full complement of antennas, so it can't utilize the full bandwidth of WiFi 6. Option-clicking the WiFi icon on the menu bar will confirm that the max transmission rate of the new 2021 is 1200 Mb/s, and the older 2015 is 1300 Mb/s. Going to WiFi 6E will help if you have a corresponding base station (less traffic at 6 GHz), but I'm not sure if overall speed will increase unless Apple adds more antennas.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    flydog said:
    omasou said:
    Ummm no, the "industry" will not skip 6E and wait 3-5 years for 7.  

I don't understand this obsession to perpetually defer a purchase simply because something new is down the road. 
    Ummm maybe you should follow what's been happening with Wi-Fi a little closer.

Wi-Fi 6 was barely out (2019) before Wi-Fi 6E (2022) was released. Linksys released Wi-Fi 6E (2021) less than a year after they released Velop Wi-Fi 6 routers (2020). Ask me how I know. :( Other than Apple not many devices have fully adopted 6 let alone 6E. Most users are still on Wi-Fi 5 or less w/no plans to upgrade.

Some say the Wi-Fi 7 will be available EOY 2022. Others say 2023. Most (including Qualcomm) seem to think 2024. So not too far off. Either way Wi-Fi 7 chipsets have been available for testing since 2021. I'm definitely not one to perpetually defer for the next update but having just upgraded to Wi-Fi 6 and having considered jumping to Wi-Fi 6E, I was pleasantly suprised to hear that Wi-Fi 7 wasn't too far off.

So of course Linksys etc. will continue offering WiFi 6E. But I don't see consumers jumping on-board with Wi-Fi 7 so close. Apple supports Wi-Fi 6 but I don't see them jumping to Wi-Fi 6E unless chipset manufactures push them with availability and discount and if the ROI is there for work to support and test it. Instead, I would think with Wi-Fi 7 so close to release and with chipset available for testing that Apple will put it's efforts toward Wi-Fi 7 and skip Wi-Fi 6E and continue using Wi-Fi 6 in the interim. IoT devices are still stuck on 2.4 GHz and WAP2. Let not even start talking about WAP3, for which, support is practically non-existent. So when I said industry, I was referring more to device manufactures, Apple, IBM, Leveno, etc. and not companies like Linksys.

There is a caveat also, this new tech will only be available in countries that have authorized use for the 6GHz band, same as WiFi 6E. Major countries that have allowed the use of WiFi 6E and WiFi 7 are Canada, the US, UK, and Brazil.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Everyone, keeps saying how wonderful it is to have the legacy ports.
    Everyone, keeps saying how they don't need to worry about dongles.

Well facts are...

Those of us that needed legacy ports already own the dongles.

To get the legacy ports Apple had to increase the thickness of the MBP.

So what, only a mm here or there. Well once that decision was made, why not increase the battery size and brag about battery life? Well, wait a minute isn't the ASi more efficient. It must be b/c my fans aren't running to cool the stupidly hot Intel chip anymore. So do I really need a bigger battery? Probably not.

So in the end we have legacy ports, a larger battery that may or may not be needed, a less stylish case but most importantly we have a FRIGGING heavy aluminum brick that is WAY TOO HEAVY and the weight reminds me of the legacy Mac PowerBooks.

We've gone backward and not in a good way.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    omasou said:
    Everyone, keeps saying how wonderful it is to have the legacy ports.
    Everyone, keeps saying how they don't need to worry about dongles.

Well facts are...

Those of us that needed legacy ports already own the dongles.

To get the legacy ports Apple had to increase the thickness of the MBP.

So what, only a mm here or there. Well once that decision was made, why not increase the battery size and brag about battery life? Well, wait a minute isn't the ASi more efficient. It must be b/c my fans aren't running to cool the stupidly hot Intel chip anymore. So do I really need a bigger battery? Probably not.

So in the end we have legacy ports, a larger battery that may or may not be needed, a less stylish case but most importantly we have a FRIGGING heavy aluminum brick that is WAY TOO HEAVY and the weight reminds me of the legacy Mac PowerBooks.

We've gone backward and not in a good way.
    I'm still using a mid-2015 15" MBP because I love my so-called "vintage ports" and I hated the Butterfly keyboard.  Thanks to the changes Apple made and the power of the M1 Max, I am now pondering a 16" MBP purchase.  

When you are a for-profit business, even if your name is Apple, you must ponder what SELLS and makes users HAPPY, not merely ponder what you want people to use.  In the distant past, I will admit that Apple seemed to know what I wanted and needed most of the time; but after the death of Jobs, that slowly changed.  The MBP was filled with ports originally.  It was amazing.  Some of that tech passed away and some of it most Mac users haven't missed, but some of it is still needed today.  Heck, even after all these years, USB-A is still mainstream and USB-C is still fighting to become the next big thing!

Giving a lot of people what they've been asking for isn't "a step backward" at all, especially if it paves the wave for improvements to the SD card slot in subsequent models, like SD Express, which is pretty amazing.  And even though I don't use it, they should update the HDMI port too in the M2 edition MBP.  Having SD & HDMI internal is a huge help because (a) we don't need a dongle, and (b) we don't need to worry about losing a dongle.  So it's more than just the need to add a dongle.  Dongles can and do get LOST, and once lost, if you need it in the field, you've got a big problem.  Having it all onboard eliminates that worry, and since I am in the market for a 16" size notebook, there is physical room for all of those fabulous ports and more.

People who hate so-called "legacy" ports should flock to the MacBook Air.  It's quite powerful, and the M2 version is coming. Since those people love dongles and hate ports, it's a simple matter of adding a hub that has lots of ports for lots of dongles.  It's a dongle lover's paradise Mac!

So this is why folks like myself aren't entire satisfied with having "one more TB port" instead of the SD and HDMI ports on the MacBook "Pro."  And again, I say this as someone who doesn't use HDMI!  But I support those folks because they support me when it comes to the SD. 

I think we Mac lovers need to support each other, rather than tear each other down.  When Apple restores something that makes a lot of Mac users happy, that's something to be happy about, even if that thing doesn't necessarily benefit you as you'd hoped.  But if you are rejoicing because a Mac has fewer features and you then bash people who legitimately moan about the feature loss, that isn't a good thing.  It's more of a selfish thing.  Just as people and animals are extremely diverse on planet earth, so should our computers.  They need to be packed with all manner of goodies to please more of us, not just please the minimalists.

I am so happy Apple finally listened to a diverse number of Mac users.  It's really heart-warming and I want to see it continue.  That especially holds true because I've sent a lot of feedback to Apple over the years, not just a handful of my gripes in this forum.  Apple is listening to people and making their pro products feature rich.  That's a Good Thing and a true Step Forward.
    muthuk_vanalingammacike
  • Reply 16 of 17
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Looking forward the "How the Mac Studio replaced our 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Max which replaced our Mac Pro" article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Any dock recommendations? I haven't been able to find one that reliably connects to everything, particularly HDDs.