Nine years after launch, Tile adds anti-stalking features that AirTag had from the start

Posted:
in General Discussion
Tile is finally introducing anti-stalking features to its trackers, though they still don't go as far as Apple does with AirTags.

Tile

Almost a decade after Tile released its first tracking devices, the company has announced its first anti-stalking features. There is still no automatic notification alert, however, and no alarm sound from the trackers themselves, as AirTags have had from launch.

Instead, concerned users will be able to use the updated Tile app to check if there is a Tile nearby.

"[If] you ever feel concerned that someone could be tracking you, we now offer a feature that allows you to determine if that tracking could be through a Tile product," said the company in a blog post. "Scan and Secure, which starts rolling out this week to anyone with the Tile app (even if you do not have a Tile account), will enable you to scan for unknown Tiles or Tile-enabled devices that may be traveling with you."

The Scan and Secure feature therefore requires a potential stalking victim to be aware of Tile, and sufficiently suspect a problem to either have the Tile app, or know it's what they need to download. Tile says, however, that this is "phase one of a long term approach," and that this tool can be of help.

"If someone is a victim of domestic abuse and they are preparing to leave their partner for example," says Erica Olsen, director for the National Network to End Domestic Violence's Safety Net Project, in the announcement, "it's helpful to be able to choose the time and place that's safest for them to proactively check if there is a device on them that could track their location."

"Putting the control in their hands is an important part of increasing safety," says Olsen.

If a user knows of Tile, knows of the app, and uses it to find a rogue tracker following them, the company then recommends "options to consider... so you can make an educated decision that feels safe."

As Apple does, Tile now says that it will cooperate with authorities to identify people using its trackers for "nefarious" purposes. Where Apple says it will comply to law enforcement requests, however, Tile will require "a properly issued court order."

In 2021, Tile was acquired by Life360, a company that at the time was known for selling users' precise location data. It subsequently announced it was ceasing this particular practice, but will seemingly continue selling certain location information.

Life360 later reported to shareholders that Tile sales were down, and specifically blamed the furore over anti-stalking issues that the launch of AirTags highlighted.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    All well and good but AirTags have been demonized by the media as the stalker’s choice. And that’s the bottom line 'cause Stone Cold said so. /s
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    I guess creeps will have to look elsewhere for other cheap trackers for the most clandestine stalking gadgets.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    How forward-thinking of them...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    :D Tile says Apple isn’t playing fair… translation… “why didn’t we think of that?”
    edited March 2022 viclauyyclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    algralgr Posts: 27member
    I've never tried Tile, but am rather disappointed with Apple AirTags.  You can't connect one tag to multiple phones.  That makes things very awkward, with any shared item yielding endless "You are being stalked" warnings.  Also, going into a store yields a "lost contact with your car" warning.  That would make sense if the car was moving, but it just happens every time.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    algr said:
    I've never tried Tile, but am rather disappointed with Apple AirTags.  You can't connect one tag to multiple phones.  That makes things very awkward, with any shared item yielding endless "You are being stalked" warnings.  Also, going into a store yields a "lost contact with your car" warning.  That would make sense if the car was moving, but it just happens every time.
    Hoping that WWDC has some improvements in those areas for AirTags on its second year.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    It is hard to add features like anti-tracking with all the app review restrictions. Apple can add a great UI that pops up automatically the first time you bring a new AirTag near your iPhone. Developers can't do nice things like that thanks to Apple. Apple has all kinds of odd restrictions when it comes to Bluetooth as well. Apple scans Bluetooth 24/7 in the background but developers can't.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    It is hard to add features like anti-tracking with all the app review restrictions. Apple can add a great UI that pops up automatically the first time you bring a new AirTag near your iPhone. Developers can't do nice things like that thanks to Apple. Apple has all kinds of odd restrictions when it comes to Bluetooth as well. Apple scans Bluetooth 24/7 in the background but developers can't.
    Except that your comment is bullshit. Tile could use the Find My network, too. Nothing but hubris is stopping them.

https://www.gearpatrol.com/tech/g36063168/apple-find-my-compatible-gadgets/
    edited March 2022 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:
    Except that your comment is bullshit. Tile could use the Find My network, too. Nothing but hubris is stopping them.

And how would that have helped them over the last 9 years (re: the headline).  The network only launched a few months ago.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    crowley said:
    Xed said:

And how would that have helped them over the last 9 years (re: the headline).  The network only launched a few months ago.
    And? Are you suggesting that Apple should've created the network 9 years ago for Tile? How about in the mid-70s when they founded since you're making unrealistic claims about what Apple should've done?

Tile not only has a very large network, it has been very robust since it also supports non-IOS devices and now Tile (and others) have the option of being in the Find My network if they so desire. How is this a bad thing for users?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 495member
    algr said:
    Lucky you didn't waste any money on Tile devices. I had a few and they were not much better than useless. Not enough users with the app to create a decent network. So could only find an item if your phone was nearby to it. 

AirTags could still do with some improvements but that has already been happening at a much faster rate than Tile. 

FYI: You can simply select not to receive notifications from specific AirTags about the travelling with you when it pops up on your iPhone. So if a family members AirTag triggers that notification on your iPhone you can easily stop it from appearing again. So those notifications are certainly not endless. But for other reasons it would be great if AirTags worked similar to Family Sharing so that every member of the household could find lost items. 

Not sure why you would be getting the "this item has been left behind" message for your car. I have an AirTag on my dog's collar and get that message if I have taken him away from home and he gets too far away from me, but never get that message when I leave home without him. I also have an Airtag in my car and on my key-chain and never get the item left behind for either of those under any circumstances. So seems their is an issue with the way your Airtags are functioning which would get very annoying. But I'm sure there would be a way to fix it by resetting them, searching for a solution online or contacting Apple. It's certainly not normal behaviour. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Xed said:
    crowley said:
    Xed said:

And? Are you suggesting that Apple should've created the network 9 years ago for Tile? How about in the mid-70s when they founded since you're making unrealistic claims about what Apple should've done?

Tile not only has a very large network, it has been very robust since it also supports non-IOS devices and now Tile (and others) have the option of being in the Find My network if they so desire. How is this a bad thing for users?
    Cool story bro, but I never said Apple should've done anything.  All I said was that the headline criticises Tile for 9 years of products.  Your solution solves the last few months at best, and leaves over 8 years of Tile still being unable to do what is being demanded of them because of iOS restrictions.

Sure, they should probably work to integrate into the Find My Network, and maybe they will.  But OutdoorAppDeveloper's point stands, that it's Apple's restrictions that prevented Tile from adding the kind of privacy features in the past 9 years that the article is insinuating that Apple is superior for.

Apple had their reasons, no criticism intended, but that works both ways, i.e. it's scummy to criticise Tile for things that were largely out of their control.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    algr said:

We both have Airtags on our keys. I also have one with my wallet. We both are signed into individual Apple Id's and we don't get a " You are being stalked message". I also leave my wallet and keys in my condo to walk the dog a couple of blocks around the house and neighborhood, and have never gotten " lost contact" warning"? I only carry my iPhone and Airpods on our walks. Maybe it's a carplay thing? and I don't have carply in my vehicle ? B)

The only time I have ever gotten a message about an Airtag being nearby that wasn't ours was when she swapped her phone out recently. There is no way to unpair Airtags from the former device like you can with an Applewatch. Something I wish Apple would work on to be honest. The reset process is kind of tedious and annoying in my opinion. Open the Airtag 5 times ( it's like making and breaking contact with the battery six times ) it makes a chime with each successful attempt and on the 6th it makes a different chime to let you know it has been reset.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    jcs2305 said:
    algr said:

We both have Airtags on our keys. I also have one with my wallet. We both are signed into individual Apple Id's and we don't get a " You are being stalked message". I also leave my wallet and keys in my condo to walk the dog a couple of blocks around the house and neighborhood, and have never gotten " lost contact" warning"? I only carry my iPhone and Airpods on our walks. Maybe it's a carplay thing? and I don't have carply in my vehicle ? B)

The only time I have ever gotten a message about an Airtag being nearby that wasn't ours was when she swapped her phone out recently. There is no way to unpair Airtags from the former device like you can with an Applewatch. Something I wish Apple would work on to be honest. The reset process is kind of tedious and annoying in my opinion. Open the Airtag 5 times ( it's like making and breaking contact with the battery six times ) it makes a chime with each successful attempt and on the 6th it makes a different chime to let you know it has been reset.

I hadn't heard that before, that's hilarious  :D