Ford adds Apple Maps EV routing support to Mustang Mach-E models

Posted:
in General Discussion
Ford Mach-E drivers are now able to take advantage of the EV routing feature in Apple Maps after updating to the latest iOS 15.4 update.

Credit: Ford
Credit: Ford

The feature is exclusively available through CarPlay on the Ford Mustang Mach-E currently, though Ford says it has plans to bring it to the F-150 Lightning and E-Transit vehicles in the future.

Once enabled on a CarPlay-connected iPhone, users will be able to use the EV routing system on a Ford infotainment system. When a user creates a new navigational route, the EV routing system will display the estimated remaining battery life of a user's electric vehicle once a trip is over.

If that route requires multiple charges, Apple Maps will automatically add in stops at EV charging stations along the way.

In a report on Monday from 9to5Mac, Apple appears to have enabled the feature on Ford Mach-E vehicles in the latest iOS 15.4 update. Once a user updates their iPhone to iOS 15.4, they should start seeing a prompt to set up EV routing on the Apple Maps app on their iPhone.

Currently, the EV routing feature is available on 2022 Mustang Mach-E models and on some 2021 models with specific SYNC software versions. Ford say it's working on bringing expanded support to additional models later in 2022.

Apple unveiled the EV routing system back at WWDC 2020. Besides Ford, BMW is the only major car manufacturer to support the feature on some of its vehicles.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    I wish Nissan supported it :-(  But, thankfully, PlugShare does a great job coming up with routes with stations that are within a car's range.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Still not enough charging stations…..good luck
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Anecdotal story about planning a charging route for a trip. My son’s friend panned a trip for his Tesla, had it all laid out but forgot about the fact that he had installed a bicycle rack and was carrying two bicycles on the vehicle. The added drag coefficient went unaccounted for and the planned route was basically useless. The trip took two days longer than planned because he had to charge more often and for longer periods... because of the two bikes he was carrying. True story.
    dewmeravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I would love this ability for my EV on Apple Maps. 

I’m surprised that Electrify America, EV Go, or one of the other networks doesn’t offer this as a Mapquest-like feature on their sites. Seems like a great way to get steady business for EV drivers to their charging stations. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    lkrupp said:
    Anecdotal story about planning a charging route for a trip. My son’s friend panned a trip for his Tesla, had it all laid out but forgot about the fact that he had installed a bicycle rack and was carrying two bicycles on the vehicle. The added drag coefficient went unaccounted for and the planned route was basically useless. The trip took two days longer than planned because he had to charge more often and for longer periods... because of the two bikes he was carrying. True story.
    If you do something that changes the assumptions of the algorithm (like adding a drag-inducing bike rack) then the algorithm isn't going to work well. Garbage in, garbage out.

He should try A Better Route Planner - gives you more options to account for different scenarios such as this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I have a Tesla and one of my biggest complaints is the lack of Car Play. The onboard Nav system is quite good but it only shows Tesla chargers.
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    lkrupp said:
    That's why I think a plug-in-hybrid vehicle is the best choice for now. If you're out of electricity, it automatically switch to gas.  

watto_cobra