Apple hit with second iCloud services outage in two days

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
Apple is hit with another round of outages, with Apple Music, Podcasts, and both iOS and macOS App Stores affected.

Starting at 5:09 pm ET on Tuesday, many of Apple's services went offline as an apparent outage affected the Cupertino tech giant for the second time in two days.

As always, many users took to social media to report that they'd noticed the interruption in service.

so is anyone else having issues with apple music? half my songs are no longer available? send help?

-- chewbecka (@BeckaMeschler)

According to Apple, several services were down, including:
  • App Store

• Apple Books

• Apple Music

• Mac App Store

• Podcasts
Additionally, partial outages and slowdowns were being reported for the following services:
  • iCloud Web Apps

• Weather

• Apple Card

• Game Center
Like Monday, the outages appeared to affect users differently, with some experiencing normal access for some apps but not others.

At 6:28 pm ET, many of Apple's services began returning. Restored services include:
  • Weather

• iCloud Web Apps

• Game Center
At 7:01 pm ET, all of Apples services have been listed as functional.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,986member
    Once again DownDetector indicates that it’s more than just Apple getting hit. 
    jas99
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Putin is practicing for the big one.
    Appleishargonautravnorodomcharlesatlas
  • Reply 3 of 10
    This is the first time I have experienced this and of course it happened right when I was activating my new iPad Pro. It took me some time to realize that the problem was with Apples servers and not a local network problem at my home. 
    fred1
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 537member
    Is it "practice"?  Seems like whatever it is, it's successful.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 5 of 10
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Has anyone heard anything about what’s happening?  Has anyone at Apple said anything, on or off the record?

Sure, it could be a server software update that went sideways.  It happens.  But given the backdrop of a Russia that is very unhappy with western governments and companies, it’s not unreasonable to consider this a potential state sponsored cyber attack.  They have motive and they have the capability.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    This is why it is good to have local back-ups, and apps. Not just for this, but there are many places in the US that do not have any cell service at all. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,986member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Is it "practice"?  Seems like whatever it is, it's successful.
    Doesn’t look too successful to me. Kept some people from playing music or updating an app for an hour or so. Big deal. If, and it is a big if, this is an attack it’s been a fairly impotent one. 

Huh. Maybe that means it IS Putin. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 10
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,301member
    Yeah this is, again, NOT an Apple-specific outage, a few Canadian ISP's also reporting spikes in connectivity issues at the same time on DownDetector...

Love how this is always framed by media outlets as an Apple Outage /s
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nbuchert said:
    This is the first time I have experienced this and of course it happened right when I was activating my new iPad Pro. It took me some time to realize that the problem was with Apples servers and not a local network problem at my home. 
    @nbuchert
    Murphy says “–Hi”
  • Reply 10 of 10
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Yeah this is, again, NOT an Apple-specific outage, a few Canadian ISP's also reporting spikes in connectivity issues at the same time on DownDetector...

Love how this is always framed by media outlets as an Apple Outage /s
    Funny how an Apple news site would report an Apple outage.