Apple lobbied New York State to adopt digital drivers' licenses

Posted:
in iOS
Newly released state lobbying records have revealed that Apple met with the local Department of Motor Vehicles to discuss adopting its digital drivers' licence plan.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Support for digital or mobile drivers' licences was spotted in a beta for iOS 15.6, and Apple has previously announced which US states have decided to adopt the technology.

According to Times Union, New York State lobbying records show that Apple and its lobbying firm, The Roffe Group of Albany, met with DMV deputy commissioner, Gregory Kline. The meeting took place in the second half of 2021, and was initially reported as concerning a "state procurement" issue.

The records, filed with the state's Joint Commission on Public Ethics in January 2022, were later updated to add that the meeting discussed Apple's "announcement on digital identity cards."

"Like many other states, [New York] DMV is interested in further exploring the concept and technology," DMV spokeswoman Lisa Koumjian, told Times Union.

No further details of New York State's plans have been revealed.

Separately, in November 2021, Apple revised its website to show that its rollout of the digital drivers' licence feature would not be released until early 2022.

Read on AppleInsider
steve_jobs

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I live in a state that Apple says will support digital IDs. I’m looking forward to it, mostly out of curiosity. I’ll likely add my license to Wallet, but I rarely have to show it to anyone. It’s usually only TSA agents that ever see it. 

Hoping to head off the “I’ll never hand my unlocked phone to a cop!” comments by saying, it probably won’t work like that. Personally I haven’t seen many details on the implementation and how presenting an ID will actually work, but it’s unlikely it will involve unlocking your phone, or even giving up possession of it. That isn’t really how Apple rolls. My best guess is it will be more like how Apple Pay works. It will need to authenticate the user but won’t unlock. 
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I live in a state that Apple says will support digital IDs. I’m looking forward to it, mostly out of curiosity. I’ll likely add my license to Wallet, but I rarely have to show it to anyone. It’s usually only TSA agents that ever see it. 

Hoping to head off the “I’ll never hand my unlocked phone to a cop!” comments by saying, it probably won’t work like that. Personally I haven’t seen many details on the implementation and how presenting an ID will actually work, but it’s unlikely it will involve unlocking your phone, or even giving up possession of it. That isn’t really how Apple rolls. My best guess is it will be more like how Apple Pay works. It will need to authenticate the user but won’t unlock. 
    Good lack when you lose your wallet with Apple device. You cannot replace it easily in those critical moments when you need it (just like you said TSA check). You also need to show ID to police officers - remember that... and for voting... and for many things to be eligible.  Showing your ID as picture may not be acceptable in most of parts of this world too. They do not know what it is nor they care about it... especially if you say that you need to charge device because it is dead and you do not have place to do it.

I consider wallet only convenience for developed places, but not substitute for plastic document. I am not stupid enough to lock myself with ID's with smartphone manufacturer either.

And yes if you do not identify yourself to police officer then you may get arrested. Your choice. Suspect is a suspect. Read eight cases they are allowed to do this and if you are foolish enough to resist then you will learn how it is nice to spend few hours locked in slammer with some creeps.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 3 of 10
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    That's a terrible best guess.

There's the theory "Oh, it'll just work like Apple Pay where you hold on to your phone" and there's the reality where if you use this and do not have a plastic card in your wallet a man with a gun will demand that you unlock the phone and hand it to him because the reader is sitting in a car and the man with a gun is standing outside your car window.

No, there will not be a hand held reader, at least not for decades.  Yes, you have been stopped on a pretext, the man with a gun doesn't really give a shit how fast you were going, he was going faster than you were only minutes earlier.  He's using the pretext to find some reason to search your car. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    It seems both of you missed the part where I said nothing about not carrying a physical license. You’re assumptions are incorrect and perhaps you should go back and re-read my post. Also, I’m unaware of Apple saying a digital ID would work with a traffic stop, but they have mentioned securely presenting ID to TSA. I think there have been other examples of using it to enter a club or to make other purchases where presenting ID is required.maciekskontakt said:

Good lack when you lose your wallet with Apple device. You cannot replace it easily in those critical moments when you need it (just like you said TSA check). You also need to show ID to police officers - remember that... and for voting... and for many things to be eligible.  Showing your ID as picture may not be acceptable in most of parts of this world too. They do not know what it is nor they care about it... especially if you say that you need to charge device because it is dead and you do not have place to do it.
    I agree, using an ID may not be accepted in most of the world, but if my state supports it I can certainly expect that it will be accepted in my state. If someone expects otherwise than that mistake is on them, not on their iPhone or on Apple.
    maciekskontakt said:

I consider wallet only convenience for developed places, but not substitute for plastic document. I am not stupid enough to lock myself with ID's with smartphone manufacturer either.
    I use Wallet as a substitute for plastic all the time and it works great. Apple Pay works for me almost everywhere I need to make a payment (it’s not 100% yet, but getting close). I use Apple Pay/Wallet to pay for: gas at the pump, groceries at every store I shop at, pharmacies, coffee shops, museums, ice cream shops, to pay my cable and internet bill, to pay my landscaper, the list goes on. Guess what! I still have the physical card if I need it, too. It’s not like my physical card disappeared when I added the credit card to Wallet.

And yes if you do not identify yourself to police officer then you may get arrested. Your choice. Suspect is a suspect. Read eight cases they are allowed to do this and if you are foolish enough to resist then you will learn how it is nice to spend few hours locked in slammer with some creeps.
    This is a strange conclusion to come to replying to a comment about being curious how adding a license to the Wallet app will work.
    darkvader said:

There's the theory "Oh, it'll just work like Apple Pay where you hold on to your phone" and there's the reality where if you use this and do not have a plastic card in your wallet a man with a gun will demand that you unlock the phone and hand it to him because the reader is sitting in a car and the man with a gun is standing outside your car window.

No, there will not be a hand held reader, at least not for decades.  Yes, you have been stopped on a pretext, the man with a gun doesn't really give a shit how fast you were going, he was going faster than you were only minutes earlier.  He's using the pretext to find some reason to search your car. 
    Your paranoid rant about police misconduct in no way explains how my best guess is terrible.
    JFC_PAbestkeptsecret
  • Reply 5 of 10
    darkvader said:

LOL you reply is off the wall and nothing to do with the original post. yeeeesh!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    The Apple Wallet is available (when it’s enabled) from the Lock Screen: meaning nothing else in the phone is available. Then there’s the restricted access feature for the standalone verified ID apps some states are developing. 

The physical phone is there, but the contained data is not available. 
    ihatescreennames
  • Reply 7 of 10
    darkvader said:
    Well, that didn’t take long. Turns out my best guess was actually pretty good and you’re timing with this comment not so much. People in Arizona who have already added their license to Wallet are saying it works “just like” Apple Pay, minimal info is shown, the phone doesn’t get unlocked, etc. 

In case you missed it, here’s the link: https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/03/23/arizona-is-first-state-to-launch-drivers-licence-in-apple-wallet?utm_medium=rss
    CelticPaddy
  • Reply 8 of 10
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    I believe that a cop WILL want to take the phone back to the police car just as they take your license, registration and insurance certificate back to their car to type your info into their computer to see if there are unpaid tickets or outstanding warrants. Or simply to get out of the cold while they write you a ticket. 

So the question becomes, how long will the info stay on the screen?   NYS already supposedly accepts a virtual insurance certificate, but what really needs to happen is that all three documents need to be easily accessible together, otherwise, one still needs to carry the paper versions.   So IMO, there needs to be a “sub-wallet” with all three documents. 

And of course, the police need to be trained that this is legal and acceptable. 

IMO, the entire purpose of Apple’s wallet is so one doesn’t have to carry a physical wallet, but if you still do, then what’s the point, other than a backup?  
  • Reply 9 of 10
    zoetmb said:
    I believe that a cop WILL want to take the phone back to the police car just as they take your license, registration and insurance certificate back to their car to type your info into their computer to see if there are unpaid tickets or outstanding warrants. Or simply to get out of the cold while they write you a ticket. 

So the question becomes, how long will the info stay on the screen?   NYS already supposedly accepts a virtual insurance certificate, but what really needs to happen is that all three documents need to be easily accessible together, otherwise, one still needs to carry the paper versions.   So IMO, there needs to be a “sub-wallet” with all three documents. 

And of course, the police need to be trained that this is legal and acceptable. 
    Once we get to the point where police can accept digital IDs I don’t think we will need to worry about having to relinquish possession of our phones and in the mean time a physical ID will still be required for traffic stops, et al.
    IMO, the entire purpose of Apple’s wallet is so one doesn’t have to carry a physical wallet, but if you still do, then what’s the point, other than a backup?  
    Currently, Apple only mentions using the digital ID at some TSA checkpoints. When I go through airport security I have to keep my license out of my wallet until I have presented it to the agent that checks ID and flight tickets. My flight tickets are digital and stored in Wallet already. Having my ID on my phone and just a swipe away from the ticket will allow me to leave my license in my wallet, stowed in my bag (we have to remove wallets, phones etc, to go through the scanner anyway). It isn’t a huge time saver but it will save some juggling and hopefully speed up the line some.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    darkvader said:

Total nonsense post