Expectations for the new G4

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm a little bored today so maybe it will be cool that everybody give his/her expectations concerning the new PowerMac G4 that (hopefully) will be available next week (monday?). This is the last time we could do that before long guys !

Current system :

Dual G4 800 / GeForce 3 / 1.5 GB RAM

Wanting System :

Processor : Dual 1.4 GHz, 2 x 512 K L2 Cache, 2x 4MB L3 cache (4 GB/s throughput)

Memory Bus : FSB @ 333 Mhz (2.7 GB/s throughput)

Max RAM : 2 GB

Graphics : GeForce 4 Ti or Better

Storage: ATA 100 with 2 120 GB HD (7200 rpm)

Optical Drives: Faster SuperDrive, possibility of second optical drive (BTO)

Others : FireWire 2 , USB 2, New Mouse & Keyboard and of course new case, quieter than the current QuickSilver.

EDIT: I'm curious to see who will be the closest from the real thing...

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: jeromba ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Contemplating this topic in the silence of my Cube I think that Apple will try to amaze with this release. having said that, they will also be limited by what Motorola can ship.

All the rumors here and elswhere about IBM's Power4 based PowerPC, (which I believe IS to be the "G5") will make it hard to be revolutionary with any form of G4, but Apple must give it a try.

Sooo ~ my prediction:

$1599 FAST: dual 800 ~ as we know it now (clear channel of remains)

$2199 FASTER: dual Ghz ~ also same motherboard

$2999 FASTEST: dual 1.4 or 1.6 GHz on new motherboard w/ DDR FW2 USB2 ect.

$3999 PRO LINE: Quad GHz's on new mobo, built for the high end professional user
  • Reply 2 of 21
    arwarw Posts: 16member
    Personally, I think Apple will have a little different variation in their line-up if they still have lots of 800Mhz CPU's.

I think the base model will be 1Ghz at the normal 1599(1699?). But that's not to say Apple couldn't clear out the lot of 800MHz models by listing them as 1299-1399.

My line-up:

800Mhz (clearance) Current 800 Model

1Ghz

1.4 Dual

the 1 ,1.2, and dual 1.4 models will have:

DDR333

Faster FSB (333?) with bigger L3 Cache

Bigger Hard Drives available

faster Supperdrive on top two models

2nd Optical Drive

Case Revision

FW2

New Line of displays?

Better Graphics Card

-ARW

PS-

Why does the Mac Connections current Issue list the 'New PM G4' with 2MB of DDR L3 Cache?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Yo, this is my prediction for the up and coming silent hard ware release.

Current stock sold off quickly by reducing prices.

Starting at

1.8 Dual

All having DDRAM, 60+ GB hard drive (fast) Fire Waire 2 (gigawire) no USB 2, Updated graphics cards and more 2-4 level of cache.

What ever.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Come on people. We all know, deep down, what's going to happen.

One day in the next week or two we'll wake up and the Apple Store will be changed and there will be a press release. PowerMacs will get to right around 1.2Ghz. It'll be in that new case and it'll have xserve-style ddr.

There's no way they have a new chip out already. They just released the Apollo 6 months ago. The Apollo is not going to leap-frog up to 1.8Ghz and it's not going to have a new FSB.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    emacemac Posts: 6member
    I don't think they would continue selling the 800mhz, have they ever kept something with the exact same specs?

And also I think they have more left over 933mhz then 800mhz, I don't know anyone that bought a 933!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    i agree with BRusell...... 166 fsb, ddr memory and fastest will be dual 1.2

prove me wrong apple. prove me wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by ARW:

<strong>

Why does the Mac Connections current Issue list the 'New PM G4' with 2MB of DDR L3 Cache? </strong><hr></blockquote>

because that's what the current G4 has...

• Reply 8 of 21
    What Apple should do:

US$1200: 833/166x5/128MB/40GB/CDRW (no cacheless cripple!)

US$1600: 1000/166x6/256MB/80GB/Combo

US$2000: 1166/166x7/512MB/120GB/Super

US$2400: 1333/166x8/1024MB/2x120GB/Super

DDR across the board! Even if it is the bastard child xServe form.

For an additional price, you can upgrade to a dual proc of the same spee on the top two models (Apple hates people who buy the lowend machine and then bulk up on BTO). Maybe an additional 50%, so dualies would be: $3000/3600 (call it the "Twice the Power for Half the Price Upgrade")

I know, I know: it would destroy iMac sales. Well my response to that is: screw iMac sales. A Mac sale is a Mac sale. Why should the entry level user who isn't an iHead be priced out of a Tower?

Jet, who knows it won't happen, so don't even bother to point that out

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: Jet Powers ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 21
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    Two Possibilities:

1.)

800Mhz

1GHz

Dual 1.2GHz

2.)

1GHz

1.2GHz

Dual 1.4Ghz

I hope they all have a full DDR fsb. The memory, hdd, vidcard, etc. Are rather inconsiquential and hard to predict. Though ATA/100 seems a given. And I hope for Geforce4Ti standard. But they may cheap out and go Geforce4MX. But they are being released on my birthday so they better not cheap out!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    cthulucthulu Posts: 20member
    "There's no way they have a new chip out already. They just released the Apollo 6 months ago"

But really the "apollo" is just a 7450 variant,a chip that has been shipping for about a year and a half.So anything is possible.....
  • Reply 11 of 21
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    [quote]Originally posted by cecilb.demented:

<strong>i agree with BRusell...... 166 fsb, ddr memory and fastest will be dual 1.2

prove me wrong apple. prove me wrong.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Except what you said is not in agreement with BRusell... the current chip cannot support faster than a 133 MHz FSB, so a 166 MHz FSB implies a new chip.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I love my mac and always will, and im not predicting the demise of apple or anything, but it really is sad that i dont look at the top-of-the-line G4 as anything special. Im amazed at the power of the PC world and how its progressing (mhz myth or not, theyre faster now). I just remember when i felt that away about apple. No matter whos fault it is, apple, motorola, whoever, its just sad that they dont have anything close to an edge on the competition, let alone blowing them away.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

<strong>

Except what you said is not in agreement with BRusell... the current chip cannot support faster than a 133 MHz FSB, so a 166 MHz FSB implies a new chip.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i was not aware of that. so either they stick to the 133 fsb, OR there is a new chip with 166 fsb... i think it would make sense for a new chip to go with the new casing (if we get the new casing).
  • Reply 14 of 21
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    The motherboards will use DDR, probably the way the Xserve uses it. Hopefully FireWire 2, NO USB 2, Gigabit Ethernet, 8x AGP, etc.

Pessimistic:

Low end will probably be 1Ghz. Mid-range will be around 1.4 Ghz, and the high end will be a dual around 1.2 Ghz.

Optimistic:

Low end will be around 1.2 Ghz, mid-range will be around 1.4 Ghz, high end will be a dual around 1.4Ghz.

I say around because the actual numbers depend on the bus speeds and what multipliers are available.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It's much too soon to move from a DP800 to anything Apple might have on offer in the next 6 months. That machine is practically brand new, if it does a good job under Jag/QE you should just stick with it for a while.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ....DDR 333 (166bus) with the top end being a Dual 1.25GHz.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    My 2 cents.......

166 mhz fsb across the line. Uses ddr333. AGP 4x still.

1 ghz (No L3)

256MB

ATI Radeon 7500

CDRW

60 GB HD

$ 1599

1.25 ghz

256MB

Geforce 4MX

Superdrive

80 GB HD

$ 2199

1.25 ghz x 2

256MB

Geforce 4MX

80 GB HD

$ 2499

1.41 ghz x 2 (Not available until late Sept!)

512MB

Geforce 4TI

80 GB HD x 2

$ 3099

Latest and greatest ATI boards will be made BTO when they come out for Apple.

[ 08-11-2002: Message edited by: hegor ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Dual 1.4s

1 gig ram

2 media drives

120gb HD

DDR and L3 cache

built in blue tooth

2 button mouse

gforce 4 ti

all in a shiny new box

this is the top model which is the only one anyone cares about getting pumped over
  • Reply 19 of 21
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Dual 1GHz G4

512MB PC133 RAM

80GB HD

SuperDrive

$2,999

Does it sound familiar?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Dual 1GHz G4

512MB PC133 RAM

80GB HD

SuperDrive

$2,999

Does it sound familiar? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Such a cynic! and probably wisely so....

[ 08-11-2002: Message edited by: Agent Cooper ]</p>