New 15-inch MacBook may not be MacBook Air, says Kuo

Posted:
in General Discussion
Ming-Chi Kuo predicts Apple will add a new 15-inch MacBook to its lineup but believes that the model may not be another MacBook Air, and it won't arrive for well over a year.

A report on Wednesday claimed that Apple may be bringing a 15-inch MacBook to market in 2023, with analysts assuming that the model would fit into Apple's MacBook Air lineup.

However, Apple Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo took to Twitter on Thursday to refute at least some of that report.

Predictions for Apple's potential 15" notebook in 2023:
1. Mass production in 4Q23 if all goes to plan.
2. Although a larger display generally consumes more power, the design goal is to use the same 30W power adapter as MacBook Air.
3. It might not be called MacBook Air. https://t.co/R3UfxNWZW1

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

While he believes that Apple will begin mass production of the new 15-inch MacBook in the fourth quarter of 2023, he isn't sure if it will carry the MacBook Air name.

Kuo did note that the rumored 15-inch laptop would still use the same 30W power adapter as the MacBook Air. This suggests that the model may still slot into Apple's more budget-friendly lineup.

Earlier in March, Kuo predicted that Apple would refresh its entry-level MacBook line in the second or third quarter of 2022. He believes that the upcoming model will not have a mini LED display. He also believes that it will continue to feature Apple's M1 chip rather than an "M2" chipset that others have predicted.

Previous rumors concerning the new MacBook Air have suggested that the device will feature a new form factor more similar to current MacBook Pro models than the Air's tapered-off design. Additionally, more color options and an overall thinner and lighter footprint have been previously rumored.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Makes sense. MacBook Air should be the smallest, thinnest, and lightest. MacBook should be bigger and more powerful than air. MacBook Pro should be even more powerful and bigger than that, although the 14 inch MacBook Pro would actually be smaller than 15 inch MacBook. However, the 16 inch would be bigger, obviously.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Who cares just release the new air… or whatever you call it! Let’s go; I’m tired of waiting!!
    iOS_Guy80Japhey
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    These people do not have any sources on this, they are just WAG-ing…
    iOS_Guy80
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Makes sense. MacBook Air should be the smallest, thinnest, and lightest. MacBook should be bigger and more powerful than air. MacBook Pro should be even more powerful and bigger than that, although the 14 inch MacBook Pro would actually be smaller than 15 inch MacBook. However, the 16 inch would be bigger, obviously.
    Well, the MacBook I’m still using was the lightest, thinnest and smallest. So the line up would be: MB, MB air and MB pro. Makes sense also. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Kuo these days is sounding really off.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    The Air monicker should be dropped.

MacBook 14 and 16.
    MacBook Pro 14 and 16.

Simple to understand, one for pros and one for everyday users. Just choose the screen size.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This 15" Macbook or Macbook Air or whatever Apple wants to call it but one thing we can take from it is Apple embracing larger screen trend in it's products because most consumers like it, want it and willing to pay for.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,721member
    Cool. Sounds like a move to larger screens across the board. 

13-14” air, 15” MacBook, and 15-17” Pro. 
    Sounds great. 

If only. 
    byronl
  • Reply 9 of 12
    What about a MacBook Studio?
    Fred257
  • Reply 10 of 12
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    What about a MacBook Studio?
    Rats. I got here just after you with the same idea. 
    edited March 2022 byronl
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I know that Apple used to have a product grid something like this:

consumerprofessional
    PortableMacBookMacBook Pro
    DesktopiMacMac Pro
    Though obviously the introduction of the Mac Mini, Macbook Air, etc. kind of destroyed that. Now maybe we could see something like:

ConsumerPower UserProfessional
    PortableMacBook AirMacBook StudioMacBook Pro
    DesktopMac MiniMac StudioMac Pro
    All-in OneiMac 24iMac 27

I think that Apple's customer base and product lines have grown enough to support this. I also acknowledge that the iMac Pro is discontinued, which leaves a hole in the bottom right corner of this chart. And I'm probably reading too much into this. :smile: I feel like we've been hearing about an imminent 15" MacBook Air for at least the past three or four years that never shows up.
    Fred257
  • Reply 12 of 12
    I know that Apple used to have a product grid something like this:

consumerprofessional
    PortableMacBookMacBook Pro
    DesktopiMacMac Pro
    Though obviously the introduction of the Mac Mini, Macbook Air, etc. kind of destroyed that. Now maybe we could see something like:

ConsumerPower UserProfessional
    PortableMacBook AirMacBook StudioMacBook Pro
    DesktopMac MiniMac StudioMac Pro
    All-in OneiMac 24iMac 27

I think that Apple's customer base and product lines have grown enough to support this. I also acknowledge that the iMac Pro is discontinued, which leaves a hole in the bottom right corner of this chart. And I'm probably reading too much into this. :smile: I feel like we've been hearing about an imminent 15" MacBook Air for at least the past three or four years that never shows up.
    Yes, I’m a fellow speculator on Apple’s product lineups. Reading too much into it is the whole point! Here’s my current fantasy for the lineup at the end of this year:

MacBook Air (M2, colors, 13" and 15" Retina)*
    MacBook Pro (M1 Pro/Max, 14" and 16" Liquid Retina XDR)*

iMac (M2, colors, 24" Retina) [external power supply w/ Ethernet]
    Mac mini (M2) [external power supply w/ Ethernet]*

Mac Studio (M1 Max/Ultra)
    Mac Pro (M1 Ultra/2xUltra)

Apple Studio Display (27" Retina)
    Apple Pro Display (28" and 32" Liquid Retina XDR)

*Power supply not required, can be powered via Thunderbolt 3/4 from the “host” port on the Studio Display or Pro Display.