M2-equipped iPad Pro with MagSafe charging expected in the fall

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's updates to the iPad Pro line will probably happen this fall, a report claims, with the premium tablet line also expected to be boosted to the M2 chip.

Following the introduction of the M1-equipped iPad Air during Apple's "Peek Performance" special event, the iPad Pro lineup has become more of a target for speculation regarding its next update. However, there will be quite a few months to wait for Apple to upgrade the high-end tablets.

After not appearing during the March event, Mark Gurman in Bloomberg's "Power On" newsletter offers the expectation that an update to the line could occur in the fall, between September and November 2022.

This forecast isn't a difficult one to make, as the fall release schedule usually plays host to a large number of product updates. Given that updates to the iPad Pro lineup usually occur between 14 and 16 months apart, a fall update would be a very long gap between updates, but still reasonable to expect given the usual cadence.

Whenever it arrives, Gurman believes the models will run a new M2 chip, updating the existing M1 being used with a new desktop-class SoC. This too is easy to speculate, since rumors point to Apple making a large number of updates throughout the Mac lineup to use the new M2, something Gurman has previously proposed.

MagSafe charging is also anticipated for the next iPad Pro update, bringing wireless charging to the tablet family for the first time.

Other expected design changes include a glass back as well as the introduction of mini LED backlighting for the 11-inch iPad Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    This is probably the one that replaces my iPP10.5. Can’t believe I held out for 5 years. 
  • Reply 2 of 8
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    Please, Apple - I’d really like a 14~15” iPad Pro in the same aspect ratio as the 11” 

that’s all.
    canukstormmattinoz
  • Reply 3 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    tht said:
    This is probably the one that replaces my iPP10.5. Can’t believe I held out for 5 years. 
    Same here.  The battery ain’t what it used to be, the stagelight above the Touch ID button is slowly getting worse, and things don’t always work so well at the lightning port. I would have replaced it earlier but waiting for the M2.

But apart from those complaints it is still a great little machine. My daughter just got an iPad Air 5th gen and it is nice and bright and noticeably larger screen, but you can really see the absence of ProMotion.

what all iPads really need of course is serious work on iPadOS: decent file system management, better multitasking and windowing, multiuser support. Oh and full integration with MS Server in the file manager.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 4 of 8
    AniMill said:
    Please, Apple - I’d really like a 14~15” iPad Pro in the same aspect ratio as the 11” 

that’s all.

I use an 11 inch iPad Pro as I decided it was better for carrying around and using on my knee.

Now, however, I’m using mine alot for ZBrush and so am tempted to purloin the 12.9 inch I got the missus - I’d love a 15 inch for sculpting on :D 

• Reply 5 of 8
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    So what is the big difference between MagSafe (wireless for the first time) and charging through Magic Keyboard? From user experience point of view. 
    Both seem to charge without requiring me every time to Blut in the cable. What am I missing? Is it just for those who do not need the keyboard? To save a couple bucks? Those who worried about saving could just by a non Pro version. 

What’s the business case for that?

• Reply 6 of 8
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    urahara said:
    So what is the big difference between MagSafe (wireless for the first time) and charging through Magic Keyboard? From user experience point of view. 
    Both seem to charge without requiring me every time to Blut in the cable. What am I missing? Is it just for those who do not need the keyboard? To save a couple bucks? Those who worried about saving could just by a non Pro version. 

What’s the business case for that?

The rumored wireless charging for the next iPad Pro is induction charging. It will need a mat or puck like used for phones. The Magic Keyboard uses the Smart Connector which is just a straight pin electrical connection. 

Apple is likely thinking the induction mat will make charging the iPad Pro more useful, easier to use than plugging it in, and would sell the device. However, rumors are also saying iPad Pros with a glass back are too fragile, maybe too heavy, and they could revert back to aluminum backs. If so, there would not be any induction charging features. 

The Magic Keyboard, as currently designed, needs data, so it would need to have a battery for Bluetooth or Apple other way to pass data, if it uses bidirectional induction charging. Induction charging is power only, no data, AFAIK.

The iPad Pro wireless charging rumor is straight up weird. They are better off spending the time making the iPad Pro a default landscape device with a couple of TB4 ports, and adding more software features. Lots of opportunity to make a different kind of device that they really aren’t racing towards. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I think the recharging will be restricted to just keyboards, not for primary recharging. Why would we want to waste resources on more cables and bricks for that? 

• Reply 8 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    TBH I don’t use wireless charging at all. Takes longer.