Apple TV+ original film 'CODA' wins Best Picture at the 2022 Oscars

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2022
Apple has scored at the Oscars for its original film "CODA," which won Best Picture -- making Apple TV+ the first streaming service to be honored with the award.

The cast of 'CODA' at the Oscars, as posted to Twitter by Tim Cook
The cast of 'CODA' at the Oscars, as posted to Twitter by Tim Cook

During Sunday's 94th Academy Awards, Apple TV+ was represented by a pair of films that were nominated for a total of six awards, with "CODA" alongside "The Tragedy of Macbeth" for three categories apiece.

CODA

"CODA" took the top prize of the awards, winning the Best Picture category. The Apple TV+ beat out nine other major movies that were up for the award, including "Drive My Car," "Dune," "Licorice Pizza," "The Power of the Dog," and "West Side Story."

The film is a landmark winner in a number of ways, including being the first Best Picture nomination for Apple TV+. It is also the first movie featuring a predominantly deaf cast to be honored in the category and the first movie from a streaming service to win the award.

Troy Kotsur, who played father "Frank Rossi" in "CODA," won his category of Best Actor in a Supporting Role, following earlier accolades at the BAFTAs and other ceremonies. Kotsur also made history by being the first deaf male actor to ever receive an Oscar nomination, arriving 35 years after co-star Marlee Matlin won best actress for 1987's "Children of a Lesser God."

Sian Heder picked up the award for Best Adapted Screenplay for "CODA," beating out the writers behind "Drive My Car," "Dune," "The Lost Daughter," and "The Power of the Dog" to the gong.

"On behalf of everyone at Apple, we are so grateful to the Academy for the honors bestowed on CODA' this evening," said Zack Van Amburg, Apple's head of Worldwide Video. "We join our teams all over the world in celebrating Sian, Troy, the producers, and the entire cast and crew for bringing such a powerful representation of the Deaf community to audiences, and breaking so many barriers in the process."

Jamie Erlicht, Apple's head of Worldwide Video, said "It has been a true joy to witness the positive impact on humanity that this story and its performances have had worldwide. We send our warmest congratulations to Sian; Troy; the cast; the creative team; producers Patrick, Philippe, and Fabrice; and everyone who helped bring inclusion and accessibility to the forefront through this remarkable film."

Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter shortly after the win, posting a photograph of the cast at the event. "Team CODA created a profoundly beautiful movie, a story of hope and heart that celebrates our differences," Cook writes about the "historic wins" by the film.

Team CODA created a profoundly beautiful movie, a story of hope and heart that celebrates our differences. Congratulations to the producers, @SianHeder, @TroyKotsur, @MarleeMatlin, @EmiliaJonesy, @DanielNDurant, @EugenioDerbez, and all involved in these historic wins! #CODAfilm pic.twitter.com/s9ebnPaYl1

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

The Tragedy of Macbeth

Denzel Washington's portrayal of the titular character in "The Tragedy of Macbeth" wasn't quite enough to win Best Actor against Will Smith for "King Richard." The nomination was Washington's tenth at the Oscars, and he previously won Best Actor for "Training Day" in 2002 and Best Supporting Actor for "Glory" in 1990.

Bruno Delbonnel narrowly missed the Best Cinematography award for his work in "The Tragedy of Macbeth," in a category that also included "Dune," "Nightmare Alley," "The Power of the Dog," and "West Side Story." Greig Fraser ultimately won for his work on "Dune."

Stefan Dechant didn't win the category for Best Production Design for "The Tragedy of Macbeth," with it won by Patrice Vermette and Zsuzsanna Sipos for "Dune."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    XedXed Posts: 2,559member
    This is big for Apple and streaming services in general.
    ronn
  • Reply 2 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Damn. Talk about having the last laugh. TV+ is on a pretty impressive roll these last few months. And it’s only getting better with Severance, Ptolemy Grey, and Pachinko being the strongest content the service has put out so far. Congrats!
    qwerty52iOS_Guy80ronnJaiOh81Beatsviclauyycjony0
  • Reply 3 of 30
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    In related news, Netflix got a Best Director Oscar. Another win for streaming companies. This article should have mentioned Netflix.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 30
    In related news, Netflix got a Best Director Oscar. Another win for streaming companies. This article should have mentioned Netflix.
    Why?
    tmayqwerty52ronn
  • Reply 5 of 30
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Japhey said:
    Why?
    Exactly what im thinking unless we change this to netflexinsider….
    qwerty52ronnBeatsviclauyyc
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Japhey said:
    Why?
    Because it is significant that Apple beat Netflix this year for the Best Picture Oscar. Netflix is a direct competitor in the streaming wars. How is that not relevant to Apple? Do you really think AppleInsider can't talk about Microsoft's Game Pass, or anything else that competes with equivalent Apple's services? But we see articles about Apple's competitors all the time.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/18/microsoft-acquiring-activision-blizzard-in-687b-gaming-deal <-- for example

I just noticed that you posted four messages on the above article, even though it has nothing to do with Apple. How do you explain this contradiction in your behaviour?
    edited March 2022 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    Odd that you didn't even go to the trouble of mentioning the director's name, Jane Campion, that this is her second Oscar, that she is a New Zealander, who directed the Western, "The Power of Dog", in New Zealand, or that there was a major controversy involving comments by Actor Sam Elliott, wrt sexuality portrayed in the film, and that the film was portraying "Montana".

Maybe you shouldn't have commented at all.

edited March 2022 JaiOh81williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    CODA was a nice little film, if a 98% copy of the French film ( fishing vs dairy, fishing coop vs cheese shop, American college vs Paris). It ain’t no Ben Hur.
    That it won tells you how poor and little choice the academy had his year.

And Tmay, get off date’s back.  In any case, despite Campion directing it,  the Power of the Dog was a irritating snore fest that I still haven’t forgiven Mrs Entropy for making me see.
    edited March 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 30
    entropys said:
    And Tmay, get off date’s back.  In any case, despite Campion directing it,  the Power of the Dog was a irritating snore fest that I still haven’t forgiven Mrs Entropy for making me see.
    Thanks. That saves me from having to reply.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Wait. How is CODA an Apple Original when they paid $25 million for it after Sundance? Either way, a win is a win. 
    mobirdwilliamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 11 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Congrats Apple. Those who watched CODA say worth watching movie and after Warner Bros(7), Disney(6), Apple(3) is 3rd most award winner at Oscar. But all these great things over shadowed by on stage slap by Will Smith who made public humiliation of prestigious Oscar event.
    edited March 2022 larryjwwilliamlondonBeats
  • Reply 12 of 30
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    Japhey said:
    Why?
    Because it is significant that Apple beat Netflix this year for the Best Picture Oscar. Netflix is a direct competitor in the streaming wars. How is that not relevant to Apple? Do you really think AppleInsider can't talk about Microsoft's Game Pass, or anything else that competes with equivalent Apple's services? But we see articles about Apple's competitors all the time.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/01/18/microsoft-acquiring-activision-blizzard-in-687b-gaming-deal <-- for example

I just noticed that you posted four messages on the above article, even though it has nothing to do with Apple. How do you explain this contradiction in your behaviour?
    But "Netflix" was mentioned. As you pointed out, on the title of the article, before you click on it. 

Apple's 'CODA' beats Netflix to Best Picture award at the 2022 Oscars

What the article didn't mention was what Netflix movie lost to "Coda". But the Article didn't mention any of the producers of any of the movies nominated, winners or losers. But thanks to you, I now know the Netflix movie that lost was "The Power of the Dog". Not that I cared. 

You were questioning why AI didn't mention that "Netflix" won for Best Director. This was because neither of Apple+ two movies up for Oscars, were nominated for Best Director. This article was only about Apple+ six Oscars nominations for two of their movies and how they did. I'm sure that if either of Apple+ movies was nominated for Best Director and Apple+ lost to Netflix, it would mention the winning director and movie. Like they did with their "The Tragedy of MacBeth" losses. Otherwise, there was no need to mention Netflix winning for Best Director. It had nothing to do with Apple+ six Oscars nominations. Mentioning it would only serve as good PR for Netflix.

Now if this article was about how all movie streamers did at the Oscars, then one would expect to read about how Netflix did, along with how all the other Oscars nominated movie streamers did.

The article you link was all about MS buying out Blizzard. AI readers knew ahead of time, just by the title, what the article was about and might not have anything directly to do with Apple. 

edited March 2022 ronntmayFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 30
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Actually that Oscar was won by Jane Campion, not Netflix. Netflix did not win anything, and companies can't win Oscars.  
    mobirdmuthuk_vanalingamtmaywilliamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 30
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Xed said:
    Why? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 30
    FANTASTIC performance from Troy Kotsur
  • Reply 16 of 30
    wood1208 said:
    Congrats Apple. Those who watched CODA say worth watching movie and after Warner Bros(7), Disney(6), Apple(3) is 3rd most award winner at Oscar. But all these great things over shadowed by on stage slap by Will Smith who made public humiliation of prestigious Oscar event.
    Respectfully, I disagree. The whole Will Smith fiasco was the only real, true, and honest thing that happened all night. The rest of the event was cringy, uncomfortable, forced, fake, and awkward. Just so completely contrived that I was embarrassed for Hollywood. Will Smith saved that show, he only embarrassed himself. 
    williamlondonentropys
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Japhey said:
    Why?

Lol. Nice false equivalency. 

First of all, literally the first line of the article says that Apple TV+ is “the first streaming service to be honored with the award”. Everyone knows that Netflix is a streaming service, therefore it is implied that that statement includes them. Intelligent people connected the dots on their own, and didn’t need it specifically mentioned. 

Second of all, the article is essentially a breaking news report that was published within minutes of the award being presented. It was hardly a full length exposé on the topic, therefore you can forgive the author for not presenting it as such. The full length tributes celebrating this win and comparing Apple to everybody and everything else will follow. This wasn’t that. 

Third of all, I reserve the right to contradict myself any time I damn well please. And even though I did not do so here, I still find it a little hilarious that you chose to respond so defensively to what started out as a basic “why”.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 30
    flydog said:
    Xed said:
    Why? 
    Be careful. People react unpredictably to that question around here, lol. 
    JaiOh81
  • Reply 19 of 30
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    entropys said:
    CODA was a nice little film, if a 98% copy of the French film ( fishing vs dairy, fishing coop vs cheese shop, American college vs Paris). It ain’t no Ben Hur.
    That it won tells you how poor and little choice the academy had his year.

So sorry that you wasted your fucking time with "The Power of the Dog", but you seem to want to continue wasting time here, yeah?

"date" was being a dick.

DBAD

See how that works?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Japhey said:
    wood1208 said:
    Respectfully, I disagree. The whole Will Smith fiasco was the only real, true, and honest thing that happened all night. The rest of the event was cringy, uncomfortable, forced, fake, and awkward. Just so completely contrived that I was embarrassed for Hollywood. Will Smith saved that show, he only embarrassed himself. 

In such public event, your action demonstrates your real character. Self control,tolerance is most important aspect than violence on stage. In fact, I admire Chris for him keeping cool and continue behaving like the good host do.
    edited March 2022