Russia's top tech giant is harvesting data from millions of iOS users

Posted:
in General Discussion
Russian search engine company and advertising firm Yandex may be harvesting data from millions of iOS users and sending it to Russia, a new report claims.

Yandex on a smartphone. Credit: SEO Journal
Yandex on a smartphone. Credit: SEO Journal

Yandex -- said to be the Russian version of Google -- maintains a search engine, advertising tools, and other services. Its services include the AppMetrica API, which many developers use as an easy way to obtain analytics data for their app.

According to a new report from The Financial Times, security researcher Zach Edwards has discovered that Yandex analytics code is embedded in 52,000 apps on Apple and Google software. From there, it's reportedly reached "hundreds of millions of consumers."

Yandex acknowledged that data collected through its API and other services gets sent to Russian servers. It noted that it had a "very strict" process for dealing with government requests for data, which includes turning out any requests that don't comply with "relevant procedural and legal requirements."

However, security experts warn that once data is stored in Russia, there's little Yandex can do to stop the Russian government from obtaining it.

Additionally, some of the data that the Yandex API collects includes metadata that can be used to identify users.

"For people with a high-threat profile or working in high-profile jobs, using apps that send this data to Moscow is dangerous and can potentially lead to attacks on home networks or other forms of digital surveillance," said Edwards, the security researcher who discovered the code's prevalence.

The apps that use the AppMetrica API include games, messaging services, location-sharing tools, and "hundreds" of virtual private network (VPN) apps. Seven of the VPNs that researchers identify explicitly target a Ukrainian audience. Total downloads of apps with the API reach the hundreds of millions.

Yandex defended its tool, likening it to similar development kits provided by Google and others. It also noted that it has "never given out any information on users of any apps with AppMetrica installed on them, nor have we ever been asked to."

Apple, for its part, says that the AppMetrica API can be stopped with its own App Tracking Transparency technology.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
     The apps that use the AppMetrica API include games, messaging services, location-sharing tools, and "hundreds" of virtual private network (VPN) apps. Seven of the VPNs that researchers identify explicitly target a Ukrainian audience. Total downloads of apps with the API reach the hundreds of millions.”

Name names please
    diz_geekdewmeStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 2 of 16
    “ The apps that use the AppMetrica API include games, messaging services, location-sharing tools, and "hundreds" of virtual private network (VPN) apps. Seven of the VPNs that researchers identify explicitly target a Ukrainian audience. Total downloads of apps with the API reach the hundreds of millions.”

Name names please
    I know…. At least a few would be good!  I’d want to do a bit of an audit on my device…
    watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    How is this any different than the means google and Facebook or “Meta” (stupid name) collect our data, then sell to the highest bidder? 

Where will our government draw the line, I wonder? Data theft is ok if it’s domestic, I’m guessing. 
    /s
    watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 4 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,954member
    The apps that use the AppMetrica API include games, messaging services, location-sharing tools, and "hundreds" of virtual private network (VPN) apps.

I hope it's not Nord VPN. I have another year on my contract.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,282member
    Does Apple’s App Tracking Transparency technology actually stop it during the app review stage or when an app actually runs? If the ladder does it actually stop it or can it be circumvented? With the current events I hope Apple is proactive and challenges app developers use of this api. 

It really isn’t any different than Google and Facebooks use of their servers to steal my personal data but it would be nice if the App Store identified where data actually goes. 
    watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 6 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,687member
    mac_dog said:
    How is this any different than the means google and Facebook or “Meta” (stupid name) collect our data, then sell to the highest bidder? 
    I wonder if governments like China and Russia create shell companies and buy data from "legitimate" companies like FaceBook or Google. If so, I don't really blame FaceBook/Google for directly "aiding the enemy," but it sure looks bad on them, and will cost them business if they are caught. How carefully do they vet data purchasers?
    watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mac_dog said:
    I wonder if governments like China and Russia create shell companies and buy data from "legitimate" companies like FaceBook or Google. If so, I don't really blame FaceBook/Google for directly "aiding the enemy," but it sure looks bad on them, and will cost them business if they are caught. How carefully do they vet data purchasers?
    Who are you? Unless you are a dissident, why would China government care about you? You are just a nameless little guy to them, useless!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mac_dog said:
    Who are you? Unless you are a dissident, why would China government care about you? You are just a nameless little guy to them, useless!
    Just wow.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    rob53 said:
    Does Apple’s App Tracking Transparency technology actually stop it during the app review stage or when an app actually runs? If the ladder does it actually stop it or can it be circumvented? With the current events I hope Apple is proactive and challenges app developers use of this api.
    Yeah how do we set this up? Also, will it be possible for someone to make a list of apps using AppMetrica? I long ago blocked any connection to Yandex with Little Snitch on my Mac. I use Proton VPN on my iPhone, are they using AppMetrica?

In my lifetime and the lifetimes of many others before, one truism stands above all others:
    Never trust the Russians.
    jony0watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 10 of 16
    rob53 said:

It really isn’t any different than Google and Facebooks use of their servers to steal my personal data but it would be nice if the App Store identified where data actually goes. 
    Actually, there’s a huge difference between this and Facebook and Google. If you sign up for, and/or use Facebook or Google, you know your data is being harvested by them. You also know how to stop this from happening-you stop using Facebook and Google. We have no idea at the moment which apps may be using Yandex to harvest our data, and it may be a little harder to ditch some of those apps once we find out which they are.
    edited March 2022 gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    mac_dog said:
    "Do you still beat your wife?"

Google doesn't sell user data, so the question itself is without merit.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,326member
    I do think something is up and the strange Verizon message hack, I suspect, is a result of this Russian data harvesting.  I may be wrong but my spivey sense is primed….

Do not click links in text messages that come from your own phone number
    watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    mac_dog said:

I recommend you educate yourself, for example: 
    Even though companies like Facebook and Google aren’t directly selling your data, they are using it for targeted advertising, which creates plenty of opportunities for advertisers to pay and get your personal information in return.
    The simplest way is through an ad that links to a website with its own trackers embedded, which can gather information on visitors including their IP address and their device IDs. 
    Advertising companies are quick to point out that they sell ads, not data, but don’t disclose that clicking on these ads often results in a website collecting personal data. In other words, you can easily give away your information to companies that have paid to get an ad in front of you.
    “You can say, ‘Hey, Google, I want a list of people ages 18–35 who watched the Super Bowl last year.’ They won’t give you that list, but they will let you serve ads to all those people,” Cyphers said. “Some of those people will click on those ads, and you can pretty easily figure out who those people are. You can buy data, in a sense, that way.” 

CelticPaddyjony0watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    gatorguy said:
    mac_dog said:

Even though companies like Facebook and Google aren’t directly selling your data, they are using it for targeted advertising, which creates plenty of opportunities for advertisers to pay and get your personal information in return.
    The simplest way is through an ad that links to a website with its own trackers embedded, which can gather information on visitors including their IP address and their device IDs. 
    Advertising companies are quick to point out that they sell ads, not data, but don’t disclose that clicking on these ads often results in a website collecting personal data. In other words, you can easily give away your information to companies that have paid to get an ad in front of you.
    “You can say, ‘Hey, Google, I want a list of people ages 18–35 who watched the Super Bowl last year.’ They won’t give you that list, but they will let you serve ads to all those people,” Cyphers said. “Some of those people will click on those ads, and you can pretty easily figure out who those people are. You can buy data, in a sense, that way.” 

I said the same thing as your source does: Google doesn't sell user data. They don't even share user data outside of Google themselves*, especially so with advertisers as that would be stupid business practice that would eventually put them out of business. So how do you think Russian and Chinese shell companies could buy user data as you say they can?  Give me a source that proves it, and if there isn't one perhaps say, "Gosh GG, it looks like you're right, they don't sell user data". 

* Google and Apple have identical disclosures of the special instances where user data may leave their possession. Neither company would profit from doing so in those for the most part legally-mandated exceptions.  

edited March 2022 muthuk_vanalingamcrowleyjony0
  • Reply 15 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    mac_dog said:

I said the same thing as your source does: Google doesn't sell user data. They don't even share user data outside of Google themselves*, especially so with advertisers as that would be stupid business practice that would eventually put them out of business. So how do you think Russian and Chinese shell companies could buy user data as you say they can?  Give me a source that proves it, and if there isn't one perhaps say, "Gosh GG, it looks like you're right, they don't sell user data". 

* Google and Apple have identical disclosures of the special instances where user data may leave their possession. Neither company would profit from doing so in those for the most part legally-mandated exceptions.  

Wow, what a faceplant from dateface.
    edited March 2022
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ——————————————

mac_dog said:
    ——————————————

Some people don’t want all their personal info/email addresses/social media accounts/links to random old embarrassing posts, accounts, etc from when they were younger that they can’t gain access to in order to delete sold to data brokers.

And it’s not just “Russia or China” though they are probably also collecting it to use against us based on social & psychological profiling that allows them to turn everyone against each other. Most of those who buy & sell our personal information, searches, god knows what else is being collected are usually US based(not all but the big data brokers are) because that’s where the privacy laws are the most lax.

Not only can some of that stuff be dangerous to the safety of many people by ACTUAL “dissidents”/extremists who may or may not live close to them & therefore show up on people search sites that include a list(with LINKS) to all a person’s neighbors (including those who are put in danger by all their personal details, etc being bought & sold with no regulation in the actual states where extremists are in the majority)  should they (or their buddies, etc) look THEM up, but it’s rife for identity theft. Name/bitrthdate/physical address(with map included right there on many sites), social profiles, OLD profiles that TONS of people need removed yet can’t be accessed because google refuses to delete YouTube channels one can no longer access, or allow gmail accounts that are needed for OTHER accounts to be accessed by speaking to a real Google employee so one can PROVE ownership by various means that “self-recovery” of accounts do not have any option for whatsoever/cars, properties, etc you own/jobs(current & previous)/etc, etc(some of which are beyond intrusive), & only more personal information will keep becoming available because of data mining by companies, apps, etc that they sell to other companies who sell to others until (if not directly from the initial company/app/whatever) it falls into the hands of data brokers…… these things are gold for identity thieves. 

These things also put lives in danger in many parts of the United States… some WAY more than others. One doesn’t have to BE someone who is breaking the law. They only need be at risk from those people who ARE… or those who live where the law doesn’t protect them at all.

California(& 1 or 2 other states to a lesser extent) has SOME protections that allow individuals to access, request their file along with where the data came from, and request removal of the file. The rest have nothing. You can opt out but there are so many of these sites and you’d spend every minute trying to manually get all the information removed just to have to do it all over again over and over because as soon as they buy more data that includes YOUR data, it goes right back up and you have to keep trying to take it down over and over forever.

Canada & Europe have much better privacy policies, but most of the United States is a free for all for the profit of companies or anyone who creates an app & is willing to sell its users private information. It endangers anyone even if they don’t realize how. You don’t have to of done anything wrong, despite what some people seem to think.