When will the 12" PowerBook get a faster processor?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Right, ... ... that's it ... .. I've had it up to my "windows" with PCs. I've been looking for a decent laptop since last May!! ... ... I NOW ! ... ... It's pathetic!

Do you think that there was one single supplier that could manage to come up with something in an 11 month period??!! No! ''

All I wanted was something powerful yet compact, aesthetically elegant yet strong enough to withstand using nothing more than a pistol in a ghost recon ambush.

Well designed with good build quality ... ... well, you see where I'm going with this .... The nice people at apple have saved me from my plight.

Enter the 12"G4/840/60/SD

The second I saw her, my heart began to pound, my mouth to salivate, my ... ...!

My prayers had been answered, ( And my boss' too with the new pc compatible office/keynote combo )

Well almost answered, until I started my re education on numerous mac hardware forums and all kinds of amusing threads.\

Ok ... I'll get to the point.

I have been reading about the 1gb dimmso and the 970 from IBM, and it is all wonderfully exciting ( my name is all over the ram chip as soon as I don't need my bank manager to like them too).

However I really want to buy now, although I'm sure another two months wont kill me.

My question to all of you is simply;

When can I expect to get a chip faster than the current 867 mHz chip (all be it a G4) squeezed into the 12" ?

Oh, and any speculation on what it might be is more than welcome.

Apologies if this has been covered prior to gaining of my senses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    3...... 2...... 1..........
  • Reply 2 of 28
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    i had the same thing, wintel laptops are either high spec'ed desktop replacements which you wouldn't want to carry between desks let alone to work and back or shiney stylized toys with the spec of gnat.

Needless to say i also plumped for the pb12. I assume you mean 640 meg of memory though or have i missed a trick?

I think i saw an earlier post this week saying that although the ibm 970's are imminent that it is unlikely that they will be slotted into existing hardware.

Somebody with more hardware familiarity might want to jump in at this point.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    i-oxi-ox Posts: 9member
    eeemmmm 0 ??
  • Reply 4 of 28
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    id say at least(!)

4 months for a 1ghz g4

6-7 months for a 1ghz or 1.2ghz 970

the thing that bugs ME... is the graphics chip....
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by gardnerj

I think i saw an earlier post this week saying that although the ibm 970's are imminent that it is unlikely that they will be slotted into existing hardware.

I don't think Apple just developed a brand new PowerBook 17" just for a few months with the G4. I think they had the 970 very much in mind when they designed it. We all know there is a new 15" PB coming soon that if not introduced with a 970 surely is designed with the 970 in mind also. Don't know 'bout the 12" though, but i don't think putting a low end 970 in it would cause any problems.

To i-ox: We already have two treads discussing PowerBooks and the 970 and I don't think we need another one for the 12".
  • Reply 6 of 28
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    sorry that came out wrong what i meant was i wasn't sure if it would be possible to upgrade an existing g4 powerbook to use the new chip. i agree the pb is here for a while.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by gardnerj

sorry that came out wrong what i meant was i wasn't sure if it would be possible to upgrade an existing g4 powerbook to use the new chip. i agree the pb is here for a while.

Oh, I see. No it won't be possible to upgrade an excisting G4 PowerBook to the 970. It may be possible to build a brigde to the MaxBus on the G4 PB, but it will be difficult and too expensive to be of any use.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    be careful !!! i think another 2 months of wait will indeed kill you!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    your are probably right

If only I could hold out for the rev B 8)
  • Reply 10 of 28
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-ox

your are probably right

If only I could hold out for the rev B 8)

since you would be dead by that time there really is no need to wait for rev B
  • Reply 11 of 28
    well, question is how long will I be hanging around twiddling my thumbs
  • Reply 12 of 28
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    there will be new PowerBooks before Xmas, probably by August.

whether the 12 gets a bump when the Aluminium 15 comes out is variously described as definite (if late) or indefinite (too close to the delayed shipment of a "high end" 17 which suddenly pales by comparison)

read the opinions in the Al-vs-Ti and various PB threads to decide whose rumours you believe

my .035 cdn says ALL PowerBooks will be minimum 1GHz G4 by August 2003

the optimist in me hopes the 15 will be a 1.2GHz 970 by Xmas

no after-the-fact upgrades for laptops will be possible for CPU or GPU...

except RAM, which includes "overloading" the rated 512Mb DDR slot(s) with a 1Gb DDR SODIMM as noted in other threads.

i've even heard that you can't buy original Airport cards anymore... order with it included, but no more shipment of aftermarket cards... all AExtreme now.

and technically, all the chips are new...

only the clones had "used" chips way back in the day (only way to get Apple ROMs)
  • Reply 13 of 28
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    no offence but people really need to word their subjects correctly. I know your very excited and it gets more people to look at your thread but those people get annoyed when they find out your asking for speculation and not stating new info.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    #0 RULE OF AQUISITION

Never buy rev A/ rev 0 of anything

my ti800 is rev c & its working great

no paint chips or anything ....heat & the vaccum

blower fan apart
  • Reply 15 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

no offence but people really need to word their subjects correctly. I know your very excited and it gets more people to look at your thread but those people get annoyed when they find out your asking for speculation and not stating new info.

Right i was also ( a little, because i have the experience of AI ) disapointed.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    More of a purchasing decision...
  • Reply 17 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    However i think that the rev B of the powerbook will introduce the G4 7457 (lower voltage, less heat).

August appear to be a good date for the introduction of the 7457 ...
  • Reply 18 of 28
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

Fixed.

• Reply 19 of 28
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    ahh yes service with a smile
  • Reply 20 of 28
    ok so I'm a newbie and a switcher to boot

thanks for the feedback all the same.