Macs just rule for laptops!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Man I've lamented on this story a few times on this board...but it's so sad...even after taxes I could have made like 100,000 dollars out of aapl.

like 4 years ago, I wanted to buy...it was at 15...The broker said "Apple is a niche market...I don't think it's wise...blah blah blah"

so I didn't buy....I was willing to plunk down a lot of cash too.

so anyway, I didn't buy, but I watched the stock.

over the next 6 months it rocketed to 150

peaking there, then dropping to like 100 then splitting and hovering at 60 and then in one fell swoop it fell to 25 in one day. it's been down ever since.

I could have made a small fortune....but no.

I had my father-in-law buy aapl at $15 and he sold it at $120. He had a nice ride with that. Too bad I couldn't ride with him either. Although his gains there and then some are gone by now with the whole market dropping into the toilet. It was bound to happen though. Stocks are supposed to be about dividends and not just the price.

Anyway I tried the Warcraft III demo on my Powerbook and it just barely runs okay. It will run at 640x480 at 16 bits. Seems just acceptable for use. As for you folks running it on 1 gig machines, his machine (crappy though it was) was 18 months old and likely running it as well. (though that is pc gaming I suppose)

On a side note has anyone read that Centrino is really just a new Pentium III with a large level 3 backside cache. This would be amazing to think that they are just taking the G4 competitor, running it at 1.3-1.6 ghz and with a true memory management unit (one that can do true DDR) and some backside cache it can kick the hell out of the PIV at like 2.4 ghz.

This really could be an in for Apple even if the 970 doesn't pan out for a bit still or if they can't offer it throughout the whole line. It shows that the clock cycles aren't everything. A little more G4 updating and they could still seriously hang instead of just hoping all their eggs can go in one basket.

Nick
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Yeah I wanna read what Intel tells its customers the day when getting more Gigahertz becomes hard. They've selling the "more megahertz means faster machines" so much that it will backfire someday.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Actually if you add up the features superdrive, etc. it has the best bang for its buck for price and portability.

show me a pc with the same stats that is cheaper?

That's true, but the issues are: what features do they actually need, and what price are they willing to pay? Granted that the PowerBook is still an amazing machine for the price, the iBook seems to me to be better tailored for what the buyers were looking for.