Dual USB-C Power Adapter soon to enter mass production

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's leaked dual-port USB-C wall charger may see a release in the near future, as an analyst claims it will soon be entering mass production.

On Friday, a support document briefly posted then removed from Apple's website described the unreleased Apple 35W Dual USB-C Port Power Adapter. While the leak didn't indicate when it will launch, it seems that it could be a matter of a few months before it sees the light of day.

In a Saturday tweet, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo picked up on the leak by claiming components for the item "are nearing mass production." While an item entering production is a positive sign for a product, there's no definitive timeframe for its release, but it could easily surface within a few months.

Kuo is bullish on the prospects of the adapter, adding that estimates for its shipments in 2022 are in the range of 2 million to 3 million.

Apple has been thought to be working on GaN chargers for a while, with a release sometime in 2022 speculated. GaN (Gallium Nitride) power adapters are typically smaller and more power-efficient than silicon-based versions, though it is unknown if the leaked charger is a GaN model.

In March, Kuo offered a prediction that Apple's first GaN-based charger would be "about 30W," a claim he also reiterated in the tweet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The only problem with rumors like this is that someone who needs a power adapter may decide to wait it out for a product that may or may not be released. Users were waiting for an M1 based 27” iMac but not only did it not appear, the Intel model was pulled and the 27” iMac is history. I was one of those waiting for the M1 27” iMac. Now I’m left with spending more than I was hoping to for the Mac Studio or settle for the M1 Mini with a 27” monitor. So do I wait for the rumored M2 Mini, settle for the 24” iMac, or continue waiting for a WWDC announcement? One can get trapped by the rumor mill with no happy way out.
    JapheySpitbath
  • Reply 2 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    The only problem with rumors like this is that someone who needs a power adapter may decide to wait it out for a product that may or may not be released. Users were waiting for an M1 based 27” iMac but not only did it not appear, the Intel model was pulled and the 27” iMac is history. I was one of those waiting for the M1 27” iMac. Now I’m left with spending more than I was hoping to for the Mac Studio or settle for the M1 Mini with a 27” monitor. So do I wait for the rumored M2 Mini, settle for the 24” iMac, or continue waiting for a WWDC announcement? One can get trapped by the rumor mill with no happy way out.
    The heart bleeds for such a sorry tale of woe.
    MrBunsiderotateleftbytenadrielronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 9
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Another power adaptor? I need it I get it, “future” be damned.

Having two ports would make for very slightly simpler traveling. But as a long time user I’ve handfuls of spares. 
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 4 of 9
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    lkrupp said:
    Or you can purchase now (and for quite some time already) a GaN charger from someone else...

I use a Ravpower 65W charger - has one USB-C port for charging my Macbook, and one USB-A which i use with a 3-in-1 cable for charging lightning (iphone, ipad etc), usb-c (wireless earbuds), and micro-usb for my Kobo Ereader. One charger for any/all of those items.

They also do a 100w version with 2 Usb-c ports amongst other options
    https://www.ravpower.com/collections/gan-tech-charger
    MrBunside
  • Reply 5 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    cjcoops said:
    lkrupp said:
    Or you can purchase now (and for quite some time already) a GaN charger from someone else...

I use a Ravpower 65W charger - has one USB-C port for charging my Macbook, and one USB-A which i use with a 3-in-1 cable for charging lightning (iphone, ipad etc), usb-c (wireless earbuds), and micro-usb for my Kobo Ereader. One charger for any/all of those items.

You’re absolutely right, but some people prefer a first party option, if available. I’m one of those people, and although I have an Anker Nano II dual C GaN charger and was going to buy a few more next week, this rumor might make me wait to see what Apple brings to the table. However, if they end up not being GaN models, I’m going to be pretty annoyed at myself for falling prey to the rumor trap. So, lkrupp is correct also. 
    edited April 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Japhey said:
    cjcoops said:
    lkrupp said:

You’re absolutely right, but some people prefer a first party option, if available. I’m one of those people, and although I have an Anker Nano II dual C GaN charger and was going to buy a few more next week, this rumor might make me wait to see what Apple brings to the table. However, if they end up not being GaN models, I’m going to be pretty annoyed at myself for falling prey to the rumor trap. So, lkrupp is correct also. 
    I don't understand doing without because there isn't a first-party brand?  I mean, do you sell your car when it needs tires because your car maker doesn't make tires?  Do your research and buy one of many reliable brands that already exist.  Most are about 1/3 the price of Apple so even if you get a dud and have to buy another, you're still ahead.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    AKAppleAKApple Posts: 14member
    lkrupp said:
    Same situation, I blame it on Apple and their marketing tactics. I'm not of the Apple "cult", to where I have to have Apple/Mac. Windows will do the same things and accomplish the same goals as anything Apple/Mac, for less $$. It's just a different way to get to where you are trying to go. I prefer Mac but am not married to it. I refuse to get sucked into their marketing BS, I too was hoping for a new version of the 27" and I still believe it's coming in some manner or another so I'll wait another couple of months until the 2022 WWDC and see what they come up with. I won't buy either the Display or the Studio, it's an overkill for me and what I do. The 24" is somewhat of an entry level machine and although it is truly an all-in-one, and that's one of the biggest reasons that I switched from Windows to Mac back in 2008, I want more than it has to offer. I don't want a Mini as I still have to have a display and I'm back to where I started with the components instead of the all-in-one. If Apple truly is done with the bigger all-in-one, I think they really humped the hound this time.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    The triviality of this news boggles the mind.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Japhey said:
    cjcoops said:
    lkrupp said:

I don't understand doing without because there isn't a first-party brand?  I mean, do you sell your car when it needs tires because your car maker doesn't make tires?  Do your research and buy one of many reliable brands that already exist.  Most are about 1/3 the price of Apple so even if you get a dud and have to buy another, you're still ahead.
    I said “if available”. So no, I do not go without something if there is not a first party solution. Then I do my research and buy the highest rated option that I can afford, like the Nano II I also mentioned. The car example was a weird comparison, btw. 
    bestkeptsecretSpitbath