Updated MacBook Air could launch at WWDC 2022

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2022
Apple will probably introduce new hardware at WWDC 2022, a report claims, with a MacBook Air update potentially up for launch at the developer event.

Apple will be holding its 2022 Worldwide Developer Conference from June 6 until June 10, with the main focus being on its software updates. However, one Sunday rumor proposes that Apple could show off multiple new pieces of hardware during its keynote address.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Apple is preparing to launch new Macs within the coming months. Gurman reasons "what better place to do so than WWDC? That's the same venue where Mac's transition from Intel to Apple's own chips was announced two years ago."

Sources of Gurman say two new Macs are set to arrive either in the middle of 2022 or in the second half. One of those two inbound models is thought to be an update to the MacBook Air, a model that Gurman previously said was delayed to the second half of 2022 on March 20.

Along with the MacBook Air, Gurman points to updates of the Mac mini and 24-inch iMac that could be on the way, as well as a new low-end MacBook Pro that will supposedly replace the existing 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Gurman was among the first to make predictions claiming a Mac mini update and a new 13-inch MacBook Pro would appear at the spring event, though neither were ultimately featured.

Desktop Macs are also candidates, with Gurman name-checking the iMac Pro and Mac Pro. For the latter, Apple has confirmed it is working on new hardware, and teased as much during the Peek Performance special event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    In breaking news water might remain wet. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'd be interested in a table AI might publish that listed all the hardware announcements made at WWDC over the years. 
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I really hope M2 has capacity for more I/O. My old Intel Mac Mini has spoiled me for ports and I’d like 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on the next one.

Even if they don’t, the next best option is putting M2 Pro/Max in the Mini lineup to allow more ports. It’s the only thing that’s made me hesitant to upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    We go through this same routine every year.  How many times has Apple ever released new hardware at their annual ‘software’ developer event?   Not saying it can’t happen, but I’m going with highly doubtful.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I don’t think it will be the Air at WWDC. 
    watto_cobraireland
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    In web release in the weeks leading up to WWDC to build buzz. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I really hope M2 has capacity for more I/O. My old Intel Mac Mini has spoiled me for ports and I’d like 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on the next one.

Even if they don’t, the next best option is putting M2 Pro/Max in the Mini lineup to allow more ports. It’s the only thing that’s made me hesitant to upgrade.
    Turns out all those supply-chain reports about a “Mini Pro” were about the Mac Studio. It’s just my opinion, but there’s no way Apple would undercut the Mac Studio with a Mini Pro.

The Mini will get the M2 at the same time as the Air and the iMac. It should get a redesign, but it won’t get more Thunderbolt ports than the Air and the iMac. It’s hard to imagine that being more than two, but you never know. They will, however, certainly be Thunderbolt 4. I suppose the iMac and the Mini could have two or three additional USB-C 3.2 10Gb/s ports, like the Studio Display does.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    JackieBoyJackieBoy Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    They’ve released hardware at WWDC before, but it is rare. They could do it again and I hope they do. The M2 better have the ability for more ports though, even if they choose to only add more ports to the Mac Mini. I sure hope though that the new MacBook Air is a worthy update and not just a mere cosmetic update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Sources of Gurman say two new Macs are set to arrive either in the middle of 2022 or in the second half. 
    Other way of wording that is Mark Gurman predicts a new MBA at some point in the future.
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    ireland said:
    Sources of Gurman say two new Macs are set to arrive either in the middle of 2022 or in the second half. 
    Other way of wording that is Mark Gurman predicts a new MBA at some point in the future.
    Funny.  :D

Yes, when has Apple not had a couple of new Macs announced in a span of 8 months from June to December?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    tht said:
    ireland said:

Yes, when has Apple not had a couple of new Macs announced in a span of 8 months from June to December?
    I predicted new Mac Pro either this year or next year. Where's my check?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ireland said:
    tht said:
    ireland said:

I predicted new Mac Pro either this year or next year. Where's my check?
    The Apple Silicon Mac supply chain seems to be well obfuscated. The leakers have been pretty hit or miss with them. No Mac mini redesign, and there are articles that the redesign has been scrapped now. iPhone rumors basically are on a schedule, and they always seem to include CAD drawings and parts leaks. Macs? Lots of guessing these days.

The battle between the product marketers and the finance guys is never ending too. A Mac mini and iMac 24 with an M1 Pro seems like a big easy win for the Mac mini to fill the $1000 to $2000 hole in the headless desktop lineup and the $2000 to $3000 hole in the iMac lineup. And, the product guys are probably pulling their hair out with the MBP13 still in the lineup. Hopefully they show up at WWDC, but if they don't, the finance guys are messing things up trying to get as much upsell as possible.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    A new 27” iMac for under 3k or a more pro Max Mini for low 1k range would really be a big slap in the face to those who had to buy a Mac Studio/display combo because of the lack of other options. I’m really hoping that’s the case though. I really need a new Mac to replace my dying iMac 27” and I can’t remember a Mac combo less appealing than the Studio except maybe the G4 cube. 

As for the MacBook Air, I have the most current one and absolutely love it, best laptop Apple has ever made. Judging by Apple’s recent design decisions in the last year I’m pretty confident I’m gonna like my current one over the new model and not want to update. The new design of MacBook pros are not as appealing as the previous models IMHO, and that stupid notch just kills it for me. I’m guessing the new Air will suffer from similar odd design choices as every new Apple product has these days. 
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 142member
    ... or it can be 'delayed' yet again!
    /s
  • Reply 15 of 16
    coolerkid said:
    A new 27” iMac for under 3k or a more pro Max Mini for low 1k range would really be a big slap in the face to those who had to buy a Mac Studio/display combo because of the lack of other options. I’m really hoping that’s the case though. I really need a new Mac to replace my dying iMac 27” and I can’t remember a Mac combo less appealing than the Studio except maybe the G4 cube. 
    It's not a slap in the face, and those who treat it as such bought a computer for entirely the wrong reasons. It's a necessary function of being a computing company. If a computing company doesn't regularly offer an updated suite of hardware, it means the death of that company as other companies will offer products that have better price/perf, eventually. Moreover, Apple has a minority platform where the success of the hardware is very dependent on an ecosystem of software and services, and it is necessary to have as much of the hardware out in the market as possible for that ecosystem of software and services to thrive. So, we always argue about how many products Apple should have, as it really is about have as much installed base as possible so that there is more software and services for all of us to enjoy.

Apple likes to hew to a minimum viable product as much as possible, and this applies to entire product lines. As such, they have rather frustrating holes in the product lineups. Currently, there isn't a headless Apple Silicon desktop with SKUs from $1000 to $2000. There are Intel Mac mini models in that price range, and they appear content with it, or perhaps really patient, as it upsells the base model Mac Studio. There isn't a 27" iMac at all right now, and a lot of customers would buy it for $2500 rather than Mac Studio. There isn't a "MacBook Air 15", while Apple is offering a M1 MBP13 at the $1500 to $2000 price tier for what seems to be pure upsell reasons. This isn't really a lot more machines. It's basically offering a product at every price tier for each class of machine.

Every major product line has these frustrating holes. Apple always choose less than more in terms of how many products they have in their product lines. The iPhone mini should be kept in the lineup, but it looks like that will disappear this Fall. Their reticence to add a lot of software features in the iPad Pros seems more folly than discipline. They can't sell an iPad with a 14 to 15 display without those software features. I'd even go for a 47 to 48 mm Watch.
    muthuk_vanalingam