Studio Display issue prevents some owners from updating their monitors

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
A number of Apple Studio Display owners are having trouble updating their monitor's firmware, with some asked to take their $1,599 screen in for servicing.

The Apple Studio Display is unusual for a monitor, as it uses iOS as its operating system to function. Like other Apple hardware, it can be updated with new firmware, but some users are encountering issues when trying to do so.

Posts on the Apple support forum reveal a number of people who cannot perform an update of the firmware. In some cases, users see the message "Apple Studio Display firmware update could not be completed. Try again in an hour. If the problem persists, contact an authorized Apple service provider."

Others have also seen that the firmware installation is attempted, but it only completes the "Preparing" phase partway, and not concluding.

In one instance where a user attempted to contact Apple for support, they were informed to take the monitor to their local Genius Bar to try and force the update. However, they were quoted a turnaround time of between 24 and 48 hours for the fix, rather than an expected quicker resolution.

Some posts on the Macrumors forums discussing the issue believe the problem could be a server-side issue, since it relates to failed downloads of the software. One user claimed an attempt by a Genius Bar employee to update a demo Studio Display in their local Apple Store also failed to update.

Apple has yet to officially comment on the problem, but a server-side issue would presumably be one that could be fixed without any further intervention by users.

The ability to update the monitor is important, as new firmware can be used to fine-tune features, fix bugs, and add new elements. For example, the webcam quality of the Studio Display have been attributed to a software bug, which could be fixed as part of a software update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    I cannot ever remember a monitor needing firmware upgrades... ?
    Has Apple earned a 'plug and pray' moniker since 2011 ?
    Is it time for a 'firmware upgrade' of senior management ?
    edited April 2022 lkruppelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 14
    As a miracle worker once said, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Do an internet search for "difficulty updating firmware dell monitor" and prepare to be amazed...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Mine is at 15.4 and macOS is 12.3.1. Don't know if the firmware updated when macOS did. I do remember there was a fair amount of turning on and off during the update but I wasn't really watching it.

Obviously, it isn't a coincidence that the "firmware" of the Studio Display is the same number as the current iOS/iPadOS feature version, 15.4. (the less-common x.x.1 and x.x.2 updates are for security updates and bug fixes only). I wonder if it will be updated with every major iOS/iPadOS update? So when iOS/iPadOS goes to 15.5, will the Studio Display firmware also go to 15.5? Or will it be more haphazard, only catching up to the current iOS/iPadOS when macOS gets an update?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    I have 2 Studio Displays, one was at the right version of the firmware (15.4) while the other was stuck at (15.3). I contacted Apple Support and they had no solutions, they sent me to the Apple Store, who also had no solutions. When I brought the affected monitor back home I decided to swap the positions of the monitor as I was going to have to bring it back tomorrow. As part of the swap I also switched the ports that the monitors were plugged into (keeping the same cable that was connected to each monitor attached to the monitor - thus eliminating a faulty cable).

As soon as I ran the software update upgrade it seamlessly did the upgrade and the system did a restart, now both monitors are at firmware 15.4.
    raybowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    As a miracle worker once said, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
    Souvenirs from one doctor to another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ3--2K7yo
    watto_cobrachadbag
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    My Sony 4K TV gets firmware updates, why shouldn’t the Studio Display? Everything has firmware these days, from headphones to light bulbs. I assume you are just being your usual dick self throwing shade at Apple at every opportunity. 
    zeus423macminionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 242member
    Souvenirs from one doctor to another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkJ3--2K7yo
    Much appreciated! Good memories!
    watto_cobrachadbag
  • Reply 9 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    My Sony 4K TV gets firmware updates, why shouldn’t the Studio Display? Everything has firmware these days, from headphones to light bulbs. I assume you are just being your usual dick self throwing shade at Apple at every opportunity. 
    I understand TV are quite different from monitors, having software and apps as a part of what is marketed as 'smart' features to customers. I understand some reports of surveillance that may risk privacy in terms of audio on such TV. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-keep-your-smart-tv-from-spying-on-you/
    https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/01/fbi-smart-tv-security/

I have Apple cinema and thunderbolt displays still working well without ever asking for a firmware upgrades, as well as a couple of 40" non Apple displays in the same camp, so I am unsure how vitriol might be applicable...?

On the 27" Apple Display front I have only ever expressed a wish for 4K & USB 3 upgrades which would seem relatively modest, hopefully affordably economical and status quo in 2022 or even long prior... ?  I would still commend the 30" Apple Cinema display I also enjoyed for many years... Things I like of the new Apple display include a thinner bezel & lighter weight, with all things seemingly increasingly tethered since 2011 not so much...
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Do an internet search for "difficulty updating firmware dell monitor" and prepare to be amazed...
    I have a Sony camera flash for which there is a firmware update. Updating the camera flash, the HVL-F45RM, requires connecting it to a camera that is compatible with the firmware update, and may require that the camera itself be updated to the right firmware level first. This is for a camera flash, something which mostly just puts out a bunch of light in a very short period of time. 
    I have tried three different cameras, including updating one to the exact camera version specified, and I have tried this on a Mac, on a Windows virtual machine on my Mac, on a Windows Server virtual machine on my Mac, and I eventually tried this on a real machine running Windows that I borrowed from an in-law. 

Silly things have firmware upgrades these days. And it is clear that for many manufacturers, the firmware update processes themselves are an afterthought. In Sony's case it isn't clear that the word "thought" should come into play at all, "after" or otherwise. Perhaps Dell monitors are the same. That is certainly a lot of listed case numbers for monitor update problems. But hey, at least they document their bugs. That's so far beyond Sony that Sony can't even see it in the distance. 
    watto_cobrafastasleepmainyehc
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ...I stand corrected as there were in fact three firmware updates for Apple 27" Displays:
    support.apple.com/HT203417
    support.apple.com/kb/DL1453
    support.apple.com/kb/DL1775
  • Reply 12 of 14
    The reason for this was that on Apr 7 Apple stopped signing the iOS 15.4 update. Realizing their mistake, OS 15.4 Firmware for the Studio Display (Appledisplay2,1) is being signed again (as of about 9 hours ago), so everybody that were unable to update should be able to now.
    foregoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    You're going full-on troll quality posts these days. Do YOU need a firmware update?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mainyehcmainyehc Posts: 133member
    I have a Sony camera flash for which there is a firmware update. Updating the camera flash, the HVL-F45RM, requires connecting it to a camera that is compatible with the firmware update, and may require that the camera itself be updated to the right firmware level first. This is for a camera flash, something which mostly just puts out a bunch of light in a very short period of time. 
    I have tried three different cameras, including updating one to the exact camera version specified, and I have tried this on a Mac, on a Windows virtual machine on my Mac, on a Windows Server virtual machine on my Mac, and I eventually tried this on a real machine running Windows that I borrowed from an in-law. 

Silly things have firmware upgrades these days. And it is clear that for many manufacturers, the firmware update processes themselves are an afterthought. In Sony's case it isn't clear that the word "thought" should come into play at all, "after" or otherwise. Perhaps Dell monitors are the same. That is certainly a lot of listed case numbers for monitor update problems. But hey, at least they document their bugs. That's so far beyond Sony that Sony can't even see it in the distance. 
    I have two LG 27'' 4K displays, which are the exact same model, except bought a few months apart. Their firmware is clearly a little bit different, because the OSD has some subtle differences (for one, the model number is shortened on the more recent one in the “About” screen from the OSD, and the background colour each one shows when entering power-saving mode is different, one being pitch black and the other being dark grey).

I wouldn't mind updating the older one to bring it to the same version as the most recent one but, alas, there doesn't seem to be a way to do so (even though they can both plug in via USB-C and have USB-A plugs of their own, which should definitely enable such a feature).