Apple fixed Studio Display update issue by resigning special iOS 15.4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2022
Apple has fixed a problem that prevented its Studio Display from updating, by re-signing iOS 15.4 specifically for the monitor.

On Sunday, it was reported owners of the Apple Studio Display were unable to update the screen to the latest firmware. One day later, Apple has solved the problem with a small tweak to the update itself.

The issue surfaced when users attempted to perform an update of the firmware to iOS 15.4, but were shown messages that it "could not be completed," to try again later, and to contact support if the problem continued.

Others encountered the firmware starting its update, but stopping in the "Preparing" phase.

Spotted by "Ryan" on Twitter, the firmware started to be signed again late on Sunday night, with affected Studio Displays successfully installing the update.

Apple stopped signing iOS 15.4 on 4/7

On 4/8, users started reporting that they couldn't update the Studio Display to iOS 15.4 Firmware.

As of one hour ago, iOS 15.4 Firmware for the Studio Display (Appledisplay2,1) is being signed again

The firmware update installing now! https://t.co/Sn1TyKgLkq pic.twitter.com/pO7rSGox1a

-- Mr. Macintosh (@ClassicII_MrMac)

Described as Studio Display Firmware Update 15.4 on Apple's support pages, the firmware includes "minor stability improvements" and also includes support for Boot Camp on Intel-based Macs.

What is not included, is a fix for the webcam performance.

Apple ceased signing of iOS 15.4 on April 7, a week after the release of iOS 15.4.1. In this instance, the signing of the firmware is only for the benefit of the Studio Display, and doesn't re-sign the firmware for other devices.

Users can update the firmware version of their display by clicking the Apple icon in the menu followed by System Preferences, clicking Software Update, and then initiating the update installation. A Mac running macOS 12.3 or later is required for the update to work.

While monitors can receive firmware updates, Apple's use of iOS for the Studio Display offers more potential for new features and major upgrades to be introduced that wouldn't normally be undertaken for the peripheral.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Time to fire the quality manager of that device. This is embarrassing, two major flaws, that look like the result of very poor quality control.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 9
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    two major flaws
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    StrangeDaysjeff fieldswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Time to fire the quality manager of that device. This is embarrassing, two major flaws, that look like the result of very poor quality control.
    Here IRL, we manage with empathy and don’t end the careers of our teams for making technical mistakes in a very complex field (pro tip: “nothing is as simple as you think it is”).

Even Jobs didn’t fire that engineer who left his iPhone 4 prototype in a bar. We’re all human, dude. Glad you don’t manage at my org.
    jeff fieldsfastasleepzigzaglensmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Glad I didn't spend $1500-2300 on a monitor that has a malfunctioning web cam and buggy software.
    Rogue01
  • Reply 5 of 9
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    Adding support for Intel Bootcamp machines. Wonder if that means you could theoretically run it on any WinTel machine…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    swat671 said:
    Adding support for Intel Bootcamp machines. Wonder if that means you could theoretically run it on any WinTel machine…
    It was said in March that Windows machines can drive the monitor, but it won't have the Center Stage and Spatial Audio features.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    Here IRL, we manage with empathy and don’t end the careers of our teams for making technical mistakes in a very complex field (pro tip: “nothing is as simple as you think it is”).

Even Jobs didn’t fire that engineer who left his iPhone 4 prototype in a bar. We’re all human, dude. Glad you don’t manage at my org.
    Jobs fired the MobileMe team.  Forstall was fired for the Apple Maps disaster.  A $1,599 display with lousy camera quality and a bricked software update is a big deal when it is a brand-new product that hasn't even been out for a month.  Sad that you don't see that as a big deal.  I guess you don't believe in doing quality work.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 158member
    hmlongco said:
    two major flaws
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    I don't think you understand it.  A 'Studio' Display with a lousy camera and a bricked software update right out of the gate is a big deal, especially something that is $1,599.  Apple's quality control isn't what it used to be.  A display running an operating system is now prone to bugs and Apple bricked it the first chance they got by blocking iOS 15.4, totally ignoring the fact that the display runs iOS 15.4.  People are still waiting for Apple to fix the lousy camera quality, something they touted as a big deal for a feature.  I saw the display in person and it isn't worth $1,599.  Even the Apple Store employees said they wouldn't buy it, even with their discount.
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Rogue01 said:

Jobs fired the MobileMe team.  Forstall was fired for the Apple Maps disaster.  A $1,599 display with lousy camera quality and a bricked software update is a big deal when it is a brand-new product that hasn't even been out for a month.  Sad that you don't see that as a big deal. I guess you don't believe in doing quality work.
    In real life those were much more complicated situations often with clashing egos or major changes in direction. It is good that Apple doesn’t have arm chair managers. Issues like this happen routinely at all major tech companies. Sometimes requiring more extensive mitigation. In this case you just had to wait a day for Apple to update their signing. The camera still works and will be fixed. Most reviewers didn’t even notice the issue.
    thtmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra