Leaked images show Apple's dual USB-C charger

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's reportedly forthcoming 35W dual USB-C charger has now been shown in leaked images that also reveal folding prongs.

Shortly after an Apple support document revealed the existence of the charger, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that it was entering mass production. Now a new set of leaked images show what it will look like.

The three images appear to be renders rather than marketing photos, but they appear to show a charger that is around the same size as the existing single-port one. They also show that the two prongs can fold back into the charger body.

#Apple is planning to release its first 35W dual USB-C charger.#ChargerLAB got the leaked pics of it. It adopts foldable prongs, and unlike other chargers, two USB-C ports are side by side.

We'll bring more information about this charger.#applecharger #tech #iPhone14 pic.twitter.com/wzyR7bdHdi

-- ChargerLAB (@chargerlab)

ChargerLab, which released the images, is previously known for teardowns of chargers, including that of the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

The charger included in the Apple Silicon 16-inch MacBook Pro was Apple's first GaN charger, and the new dual USB-C charger is expected to use the same technology.

The original Apple support document was removed shortly after posting. Apple has not made any official announcement about launching such a dual charger.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    The tweeted picture almost makes it look like it's bigger than the current block, big enough to block both outlets on a standard American wall plate.  It's too bad they couldn't have designed it so that it won't do that.  Especially for the price they're going to charge.

I hope the pics are wrong.
    caladanianwilliamlondonireland
  • Reply 2 of 13
    XedXed Posts: 2,560member
    The tweeted picture almost makes it look like it's bigger than the current block, big enough to block both outlets on a standard American wall plate.  It's too bad they couldn't have designed it so that it won't do that.  Especially for the price they're going to charge.

If it blocks both ports then it's not a good design. It's just a "leak" but based on these images I hope it's not the product in question.
    edited April 2022 ireland
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    Even worse, the USB-C ports are on the bottom of the charger, making it frustratingly difficult to plug a cable in without having to remove the whole thing from the outlet.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

That was one of my first thoughts too. But I’d love to see those dimples on the sides that make it easier to unplug.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple missed a golden opportunity to add a second USB-C port to their latest MBP power plugs and make them all GaN.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    This design doesn’t look like it will easily be adaptable to international outlets, which is an advantage of the current one. 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    Completely agree with all of the comments above. I have to wonder about the accuracy of this leak or if maybe this was an early design. 

If you want a solid dual charger, Anker has a 30w dual USB C GaN charger that fits the bill quite nicely. 

• Reply 8 of 13
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Even worse, the USB-C ports are on the bottom of the charger, making it frustratingly difficult to plug a cable in without having to remove the whole thing from the outlet.
    Couldn’t you find the hole by feel, it’s just right there? The benefit of having them on the bottom is they come straight down leading to a more neat and efficient design, especially on countertops where many of them are used. No design is perfect, but for once I I’m leaning more towards this aesthetic choice, when I’m usually more concerned with usability. I guess because I never unplug my Lightning cables.
  • Reply 9 of 13

That was one of my first thoughts too. But I’d love to see those dimples on the sides that make it easier to unplug.
    Current UK plugs have dimples but they are still slippery as all hell. The dimples should have ridges, especially over this part of the world given our robust plugs. 
    edited April 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 13
    MplsP said:
    Completely agree with all of the comments above. I have to wonder about the accuracy of this leak or if maybe this was an early design. 

If you want a solid dual charger, Anker has a 30w dual USB C GaN charger that fits the bill quite nicely. 

Even better, the Anker 521 Nano Pro charger you linked to is 40W. Unfortunately it’s “currently unavailable” in this part of the world for a while now, for whatever reason.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ajmas said:
    This design doesn’t look like it will easily be adaptable to international outlets, which is an advantage of the current one. 
    The current >20W designs are pretty much a different charger for different markets.  Looks like they're going that route of a sealed unit, rather than the modular design of the bigger chargers.

The leak looks more like the 20W UK charger than any other.

UKEUUS

• Reply 12 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Oops, I meant <20W (less than, for clarity).  Tricksy symbols.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ITGUYINSD said:

I actually prefer the outlets on the bottom. It keeps the cables from sticking out too far from the wall. I currently use 90 degree adapters on a number of devices. This would eliminate the need for those adapters.