Chinese officials lock down area near Foxconn's main iPhone factory

Posted:
in General Discussion
Officials in Zhengzhou, China have implemented lockdowns near Foxconn's primary iPhone manufacturing facilities, a move that may affect supply of Apple devices.

Foxconn plant
Foxconn plant

According to Bloomberg, some areas in the Zhengzhou Airport Economy Zone have been placed under strict lockdowns measures with residents being unable to leave their homes for most purposes. The economy zone is where Foxconn's primary iPhone assembly plant is located.

The lockdown comes just a day after officials in the city implemented mandatory testing measures -- a sign that many took as a herald of impending quarantines.

Chinese officials have taken a zero-tolerance policy to Covid cases, with lockdowns being implemented even after only a few cases are detected.

Similar measures are being seen in the key manufacturing city of Kunshan, home to Apple suppliers and assembly partners like Pegatron, Wistron, Quanta, and Luxshare Precision. Many factories belonging to those Apple partners have been shuttered since early April.

It isn't clear how the lockdowns will affect iPhone supply, but there's a chance that they will -- particularly if they aren't lifted quickly. Many analysts believe that Foxconn remaining operational was key to Apple's iPhone supply being unaffected.

This isn't the first time that Foxconn has been shut down in 2022. Back in March, its operations in Shenzhen were halted for a few days because of a local lockdown order. Foxconn was able to resume production just a couple of days later in that case, however.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    This has nothing to do with hurting the premier modern American company or the overall American economy... nope, nothing at all...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    AF_Hitt said:
    This has nothing to do with hurting the premier modern American company or the overall American economy... nope, nothing at all...

I've got no problem with that.  Maybe if they lock it down long enough it will teach Apple not to manufacture in China.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

I've got no problem with that.  Maybe if they lock it down long enough it will teach Apple not to manufacture in China.
    People just don't understand. Foxconn and Pegatron decided to make Apple products in China. Apple did not tell them where to make. As long as they can make the products according to contract. This is free market economy. Not dictated by any government. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

People just don't understand. Foxconn and Pegatron decided to make Apple products in China. Apple did not tell them where to make. As long as they can make the products according to contract. This is free market economy. Not dictated by any government. 
    If you think Apple are unaware and not a party to where their supplier manufacture takes place then you don't know shit about Apple.
    tmay
  • Reply 5 of 12
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

If you think Apple are unaware and not a party to where their supplier manufacture takes place then you don't know shit about Apple.
    You did not understand what I said. The main point is Apple does not tell Foxconn where to assemble iPhone. Nor does Apple manufacture iPhone by itself. It is all a part of the supply chain of globalization. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

You did not understand what I said. The main point is Apple does not tell Foxconn where to assemble iPhone. Nor does Apple manufacture iPhone by itself. It is all a part of the supply chain of globalization. 
    Sure, Foxconn opening factories in India and Brazil to make iPhones was nothing to do with Apple at all.  Apple are just a dumb customer, with no sway whatsoever.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

Sure, Foxconn opening factories in India and Brazil to make iPhones was nothing to do with Apple at all.  Apple are just a dumb customer, with no sway whatsoever.
    These are special cases. They demanded Apple make iPhones locally in exchange for opening market. Otherwise they will charge extraordinary tariffs. So Apple asked Foxconn to set up plants there. On the other hand. iPhone sold in China is classified as import. But China charges only reasonable tariffs.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

These are special cases. They demanded Apple make iPhones locally in exchange for opening market. Otherwise they will charge extraordinary tariffs. So Apple asked Foxconn to set up plants there. On the other hand. iPhone sold in China is classified as import. But China charges only reasonable tariffs.
    So Apple do tell Foxconn where to assemble iPhones when they want to.  Free market economy.  Not dictated by government, dictated by Apple.

Enough China propaganda.
    tmay
  • Reply 9 of 12
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

So Apple do tell Foxconn where to assemble iPhones when they want to.  Free market economy.  Not dictated by government, dictated by Apple.

Enough China propaganda.
    You still do not understand Apple business strategy, how Apple make decisions.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    darkvader said:
    AF_Hitt said:

Enough China propaganda.
    You still do not understand Apple business strategy, how Apple make decisions.
    Ok Tim.
    entropys
  • Reply 11 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Meanwhile, does anyone believe Chinese Covid reporting and statistics. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    edited April 2022 tmayFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 12
    entropys said:
    Meanwhile, does anyone believe Chinese Covid reporting and statistics. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.