Nomad 65W GaN charger review: More power in your socket

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2022
Nomad continues to roll out new GaN chargers, with the most recent addition a dual-USB-C output 65W power adapter.

Nomad 65W Dual USB-C output
Nomad 65W Dual USB-C output

An emphasis on GaN

GaN chargers are finally becoming more mainstream with multiple accessory makers debuting chargers with this technology. Anker, Belkin, and even Apple have introduced GaN chargers in the past couple of years.

At the moment, Nomad has two chargers on the market. A 20W USB-C plug -- based on silicon -- and a 30W plug -- based on GaN. The 30W GaN is the same size as the 20W silicon charger.

Nomad 65W versus Apple's 20W
Nomad 65W versus Apple's 20W

As a size comparison, you can see in the image above how Apple's 20W charger is just a bit smaller than Nomad's 65W model. Apple doesn't use GaN in the 20W charger, leading to its sizeable footprint.

The prongs fold flat on Nomad's new charger
The prongs fold flat on Nomad's new charger

Apple's charger also lacks the collapsing prongs. Nomad's charger has prongs that fold into itself, making it perfect for travel, rather than sticking out perpetually.

Upping the output

Available now, Nomad is adding a new GaN charger to its lineup. They're releasing a 65W charger with two USB-C outputs.

If you use either port on its own, it will output 65W of power. That's enough juice to quickly charge an M1 MacBook Pro. Apple ships a 61W charger with that Mac and it's larger than Nomad's new 65W GaN model.

Nomad's new charger has dual USB-C outputs
Nomad's new charger has dual USB-C outputs

When you use both ports at the same time, the top port will max out at 45W and the lower port will be limited to 20W.

That 45W charger is enough for a MacBook Pro and is more than what's necessary for a 13-inch MacBook Air. Apple only ships a 30W charger with the MacBook Air.

Nomad wants to replace your chargers

USB-C PD chargers with multiple outputs are absurdly useful in today's world of accessories. USB-C is becoming more ubiquitous and is fast. This single charger can power anything from a larger MacBook Pro to the wrist-worn Apple Watch.

Nomad needed to introduce its own chargers as companions for its latest line of chargers. The new Base One and Base One Max both utilize USB-C inputs and don't include a power adapter in the box. For those that need one, now they have a first-party option to choose from.

Nomad's new charger with the Base One and Base One Max
Nomad's new charger with the Base One and Base One Max

We're a bit hesitant on Nomad's charging breakdown when using both ports though. Ultimately if their 45W and 20W maxes are adequate will depend on what you plan to charge.

As an example, this is probably not the charger you want to use with Nomad's Base One or Base One Max. Those chargers both require only 30W, meaning the 20W port will be too slow and the 45W port will have 15W of wasted headroom.

If you plan on charging a Mac alongside your iPhone or iPad, then this charger is a great choice. You get more than enough wattage to fastly charge your small device and the bulk for your Mac.

Should you buy the Nomad 65W GaN charger?

With the popularity of GaN chargers on the rise, we're sure to see many more coming down the pike. If you hold out, you'll likely see higher-wattage options or if 65W seems a good median output, then feel free to pick this up.

Nomad 65W charger
Nomad 65W charger

We're a little surprised Nomad didn't include any indicator on the variation in the port's charging speed though. If someone were to buy this without looking at the details close enough, they may not realize the second port is limited to 20W when both are in use.

That could easily lead to people using this and not getting the most juice. Some companies will label the max output for each port or even put an icon -- think one lightning bold versus two lightning bolts -- but this does clutter the otherwise clean exterior.

Regardless, this charger does what it intends to do in a compact form factor that's perfect for home or travel. Many cheap chargers aren't well designed, don't reach their maximum outputs, or have safety issues. Nomad's 65W GaN charger is one that you can trust.

Pros
  • Compact form factor with collapsable prongs

• Uses new GaN technology

• Powerful 65W max output

• Enough output to power up a MacBook Pro

• Safe and reliable

• All USB-C
Cons
  • Without labels, some may not know port limitations

• 20W/45W split isn't ideal for Nomad's products but better for others

Rating: 4 out of 5

Where to buy

Nomad's new 65W dual-USB-C output GaN charger is available from the company's website for $69.95 and is shipping to users now.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Thats a rather generous rating given the fact that its poorly marked, and only one 65 watt, the other limited.
    A much better product IMO is INVZI 66W GaN USB-C charger.
    its clearly marked in the product, it has TWO usb-c outputs each can go to 65W, AND a third port USB-A that can deliver unto 36W
    (All three are shared of course to max power 66W
    Its small, has foldable pins. If you give the Nomad 4/5, this should be 6/5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B3CW1G2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_G8T2R5NWM4YPAKTDEMYH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Reply 2 of 9
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Thats a rather generous rating given the fact that its poorly marked, and only one 65 watt, the other limited.
    A much better product IMO is INVZI 66W GaN USB-C charger.
    its clearly marked in the product, it has TWO usb-c outputs each can go to 65W, AND a third port USB-A that can deliver unto 36W
    (All three are shared of course to max power 66W
    Its small, has foldable pins. If you give the Nomad 4/5, this should be 6/5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B3CW1G2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_G8T2R5NWM4YPAKTDEMYH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think you're being a bit generous there.
    To be clear, I said in the review that "If you use either port on its own, it will output 65W of power. " So BOTH ports can do 65W. Your comment implies that only one does 65W.
    That one you linked to is terribly marked. It says both ports do 65W which is only the case when ONE of the three is in use. Otherwise, the power drops down and varies wildly. 

What is someone to think when they buy that INVZI charger without looking at the fine print? They would probably think they can plug two devices in and get 65W on each of them. That's borderline deceitful.

I did agree that Nomad should label one as high speed and the other as lower speed. I think a set of lightning bolts to explain one is faster than the other would be sufficient, but certainly not enough to drop it below 4 stars ad the INVZI one I would also say at 4 stars. It is much uglier than Nomads which is a negative and the poor markings are negative. But it does have a third port so it would level out around a 4/5 for me too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I just got an Elecjet 120 watt GaN charger for that price. It was an indiegogo so maybe it’s not widely available, but it is going to be much more versatile with 2 C’s and an A. 
    It can do 100
    or 90 and 30
    or 65 and 30 and 18

its a little larger but still GaN small
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    bageljoey said:
    I just got an Elecjet 120 watt GaN charger for that price. It was an indiegogo so maybe it’s not widely available, but it is going to be much more versatile with 2 C’s and an A. 
    It can do 100
    or 90 and 30
    or 65 and 30 and 18

its a little larger but still GaN small
    yeah, the Indiegogo price was cheaper than its MSRP. Nomad also usually has slightly higher price tags but runs sales often. 
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    That's very small for a 65W adapter. Great for carrying in backpack when travel.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Hyper do a 66W charger at the same price, but include a USB-A port (as well as an indicator light, and international adaptors).  I have two of these and they're great.

https://www.hypershop.com/collections/hyperjuice-wall-chargers/products/hyperjuice-gan-66w-usb-c-charger
    JapheyOfer
  • Reply 7 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    crowley said:
    Hyper do a 66W charger at the same price, but include a USB-A port (as well as an indicator light, and international adaptors).  I have two of these and they're great.

https://www.hypershop.com/collections/hyperjuice-wall-chargers/products/hyperjuice-gan-66w-usb-c-charger
    Hey, just wondering if you got any of those HyperThin cables to go with your chargers? I might pick up a few C to C’s when they come back in stock and was curious if you would give them a thumbs up or thumbs down. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Japhey said:
    crowley said:

Hey, just wondering if you got any of those HyperThin cables to go with your chargers? I might pick up a few C to C’s when they come back in stock and was curious if you would give them a thumbs up or thumbs down. 
    I haven't, sorry.  And I'm not sure I'd trust a super thin cable, seems like an invitation for fragility.  Pretty much all my non-Apple cables are Anker, and they seem to last really well, if that's any use.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:
    crowley said:

I haven't, sorry.  And I'm not sure I'd trust a super thin cable, seems like an invitation for fragility.  Pretty much all my non-Apple cables are Anker, and they seem to last really well, if that's any use.
    It is. I too usually go with Anker first for any 3rd party needs. But this time, I hate to admit, I was seduced by those super thin cords. Maybe Apple Insider can pick some up for a future review. Anyway, thanks. 
    watto_cobra