Apple's iTunes Pass may be rebranded as 'Apple Account Card' in iOS 15.5

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is apparently working to rebrand its iTunes Pass card as the "Apple Account Card" in the Wallet app, according to new images found in the latest beta.

Apple Account card
Apple Account card

The iTunes Pass is a way to store credit that can be used in the App Store, iTunes Store, and iBooks Store on an Apple Wallet-stored card. Users can then add gift card credit to their iTunes Pass and spend it digitally.

In the latest iOS 15.5 beta released on Tuesday, high-resolution ranges of the so-called "Apple Account" card have been discovered. Other details about the card are scarce, but it would presumably function the same exact way as iTunes Pass -- just with updated branding.

Apple has been moving away from the iTunes branding in recent years. Back in 2019, the company killed the app in macOS Catalina and split its functionality into three separate and standalone applications for music, TV, and Podcasts. It has kept the app largely the same on Windows, however.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,043member
    Uh... WHY?

It sounds fine.

Apple Account Card sounds so Microsoft. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Seems weird to me that money you can only spend in an app is in the Wallet anyway.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,419member
    crowley said:
    Seems weird to me that money you can only spend in an app is in the Wallet anyway.

Since Apple has moved to one gift card for everything, I presume it could be used in an Apple store for purchases too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    mike1 said:
    crowley said:

Since Apple has moved to one gift card for everything, I presume it could be used in an Apple store for purchases too.
    That’s the rumor I heard. You’ll also be able to check your balance. I’m actually hoping that they will allow it to also add funds right from the Wallet by scanning gift cards. Not that the current method is all that arduous, but it would be a little quicker if you could do it all from Wallet. 
    edited April 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,134member
    Apple Account Card seems easily confused with Apple Card. Seems like maybe this is ripe (!) for Apple to spend a bit of time with their branding message, and certainly there are some issues with the legacy app "iTunes."
  • Reply 6 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Store branding would seem the most appropriate branding give that's the only store it can be used in, if you consider the App Store, iTunes, and iBooks to all be element of the Apple Store.

I agree that Apple Account Card has an unpleasant ring to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,713member
    Could this be a sign that Apple is dropping the word iTunes from all its services:
    • iTunes media player
    • iTunes Match
    • iTunes Store 
    • iTunes Connect
    • iTunes Radio
    • iTunes App Store