'iPhone 16 Pro' could be the first iPhone to completely ditch the notch, says Kuo

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2023

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is predicting that an under-display camera, and under-display Face ID, will come in 2024's high-end iPhone 16.

Again extrapolating from his previous reports instead of having any new information, Ming-Chi Kuo has tweeted his expectation for what he calls a "real full-screen iPhone" coming in 2024.

I think the real full-screen iPhone will come in 2024. High-end iPhones in 2024 would adopt an under-display front camera alongside the under-display Face ID. A low-light condition is detrimental to front camera quality, and ISP & algorithm are critical for quality improvements. https://t.co/vWjeZYZUPK

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

This tweet follows, and responds to, an April 2, 2022 one in which Kuo agrees with analyst Ross Young about under-display Face ID coming in 2024. Kuo said then that he believes the "schedule is less of a technical issue and more of a marketing purpose."

The new tweet repeats that Face ID assertion, and adds the prediction that the front selfie camera would also go beneath the display. Kuo isn't clear on how this will be done, as he says "a low light condition is detrimental to front camera quality."

However, he also says that an Image Signal Processor (ISP) and the right "algorithm are critical for quality improvements." So although still not based on any direct supply chain sources, he may be implying that in this case the delay to 2024 is for Apple to have time to surmount technical obstacles.

Previously best known for his research notes written for company investors, Ming-Chi Kuo began tweeting more details about Apple from March, 2022. Most recently, he's predicted details about the iPhone 14 having an upgraded front camera.

However, as with most of his Tweets so far, that prediction is also based on extrapolation instead of any cited information.

Other sources, though, have a reported details that could fit with Kuo's supposition. Samsung, for example, is allegedly already creating under-panel technology that would hide the Face ID module.

That's reported to potentially be intended to arrive with 2023's "iPhone 15 Pro."

Kuo himself has been reporting that Apple would add such a hidden Face ID system, saying in 2021 that he believed it would come in 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I do not care that a shrinking bit of screen turned into a notch that might turn into a hole that might dissapear over the coruse of 5 years or whatever. I do care howevcer that iOS and mainstream apps are less of a buggy glitchy UX kludge on that pure uninterrupted screen. Gapless playback in Apple Music? Doesnt work (again). Amazon? Freezes everything for a second here and there when running. eBay? Crashes regularly. WIFI turned off? Assumes I want it to turn back on and does so without me. Notifications turned off? Apps try to get me to turn them back on. Photos? Green reflection artifacts in almost every photo on the 12 Pro Max that I never saw on any ohter iPhone. And on and on.
    edited April 2022 lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 11
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    That’s a shame, I admit I’d assumed that by the time it came to replace my XS Max the notch would be gone.

I might be able to eek another year out of my phone, but another two is a big stretch.

It doesn’t bother me too much, but the notch presents a compromised design and I’d like to see it gone.
    darkvaderdanox
  • Reply 3 of 11
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,561member
    I do not care that a shrinking bit of screen turned into a notch that might turn into a hole that might dissapear over the coruse of 5 years or whatever. I do care howevcer that iOS and mainstream apps are less of a buggy glitchy UX kludge on that pure uninterrupted screen. Gapless playback in Apple Music? Doesnt work (again). Amazon? Freezes everything for a second here and there when running. eBay? Crashes regularly. WIFI turned off? Assumes I want it to turn back on and does so without me. Notifications turned off? Apps try to get me to turn them back on. Photos? Green reflection artifacts in almost every photo on the 12 Pro Max that I never saw on any ohter iPhone. And on and on.
    In Apples defence they cannot control the software quality of the likes of eBay or Amazon.
    darkvadermuthuk_vanalingammike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    I don't care if the screen goes all the way to the edge of the phone.  I do care about not having an idiotic notch in the screen.

There's a ready-made solution for this.  It's called a bezel.  The notch needs to go.
    grandact73
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MondainMondain Posts: 22member
    Agreed. People making a big deal about stinking notches are why Apple can come out every year and convince people to buy the "best new iPhone ever made". I would much rather Apple deal with the issues you raise. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    My son’s pixel has a thumb sensor underneath the screen, why Apple cannot do that is beyond me
    grandact73
  • Reply 7 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,267member
    If so time to upgrade, that notch has always been a eyesore….
  • Reply 8 of 11
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,135member
    saarek said:
    In Apples defence they cannot control the software quality of the likes of eBay or Amazon.
    Apple does in fact play a part. Here's a gem of a bug in Xcode 13 that was recently fixed, which rendered one of our apps useless for some users:

"When you target iOS 13.4 and later and enable bitcode, the bitcode segment is now stripped correctly. This fixes a crash that prevented some apps from running in older operating systems (iOS 14 and earlier)."

This is just an example. iOS is riddled with bugs that cause problems that cannot be fixed by developers, and it has been getting worse with every iOS release.

• Reply 9 of 11
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,135member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    My son’s pixel has a thumb sensor underneath the screen, why Apple cannot do that is beyond me
    Apple could definitely implement a fingerprint sensor as unreliable as the one on the Pixel.

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-your-pixel-6s-slow-fingerprint-scanner-1848074145

https://nerdschalk.com/pixel-6-fingerprint-sensor-not-working-10-ways-to-fix/

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/142982763/my-pixel-6-fingerprint-sensor-is-not-working?hl=en
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Is it that they can't do it, or they just don't want to?

My father has the Note 20 Ultra and the under screen fingerprint scanning is not all that great. Hand too dry or slightly moist and it will not pick up his fingerprint. Gets annoying to have to keep trying until the pin code pops up..or wipe the screen and finger. It's not every time, but it's enough to be annoying. I am trying to get an app installed or look at something for him and the screen locks pretty quickly he will have to try multiple times to get to open with is fingerprint...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    sgordonsgordon Posts: 56member
    My original iPhone  back in the day didn’t have a notch. Now every year we get told maybe the next one will ditch the notch. Talk about a slow news day