Apple TV+ reveals first full-length trailer for 'Prehistoric Planet' documentary series

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple TV+ documentary series "Prehistoric Planet" gets its first full-length trailer showing off the realistic renderings of a world of dinosaurs that existed 66 million years ago.

First full trailer for 'Prehistoric Planet' is here
First full trailer for 'Prehistoric Planet' is here

"Prehistoric Planet" is a five-part documentary series looking to leverage modern technology to provide a realistic look at the lives of dinosaurs, based on the latest paleontology learnings. The dinosaurs are rendered using the same technology that created the lifelike animals in "The Lion King" and "The Jungle Book."

The series is filmed using modern wildlife filmmaking techniques while being narrarated by Sir David Attenborough. The trailer shows various dinosaurs set against the backdrop of the environments of Cretaceous times, including coasts, deserts, freshwater, ice worlds and forests.

Apple is taking a different approach with "Prehistoric Planet" and its release. Instead of making all episodes available at once or releasing them weekly, each of the five episodes will debut each night across a week, May 23 to May 27.

This series is produced by the world-renowned team at BBC Studios Natural History Unit with support from the photorealistic visual effects of MPC. It is executive produced by Jon Favreau and Mike Gunton.

Subscribers can watch "Prehistoric Planet" when it debuts on May 23 on Apple TV+. Customers can subscribe for $4.99 per month or via any tier of the Apple One subscription bundle.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Dinosaur films have changed in 50 years.

• Reply 2 of 8
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    cincytee said:

Remembering the absolutely terrible "Adventures in Dinosaur City" that I loved as a kid.

• Reply 3 of 8
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    cincytee said:

Remembering the absolutely terrible "Adventures in Dinosaur City" that I loved as a kid.

That was the best (at the time)! :) Such fond memories.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Jurassic Park is the one that revolutionized the dinosaur movie/show industry and made stop motion animation on dinosaur obsolete.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I am curious how this and other similar series will play in the 'Creationist Communities' in the USA? Will it be banned (like those books on Algebra)? 
    Showing fiction (King Kong/Godzilla etc) is one thing but explaining the role of the T-Rex (other dino species are available) in evolution is a very different matter indeed.

• Reply 6 of 8
    tdknoxtdknox Posts: 82member
    My 6yo son is going to *love* this.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I give —  what's a "full length" trailer? Is there a "trailer" trailer? If they precede the movie then why are they called "trailers".

• Reply 8 of 8
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I am curious how this and other similar series will play in the 'Creationist Communities' in the USA? Will it be banned (like those books on Algebra)? 
    Showing fiction (King Kong/Godzilla etc) is one thing but explaining the role of the T-Rex (other dino species are available) in evolution is a very different matter indeed.

Especially when one considers that dinosaurs might be considered some of today's most successful vertebrate species along with crocodiles, turtles and some other reptiles. Not all dinosaurs were wiped out with the last great mass-extinction.