Apple adding new fraud prevention features to Apple Pay, Apple Wallet

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
Apple is upgrading its Apple Pay fraud prevention features for cards stored in the Wallet app on iPhone and Apple Watch, though only for Visa cards initially.

Apple Pay
Apple Pay

The company began notifying Apple Wallet users on Tuesday. Users on Twitter started noticing a new popup when opening the Wallet app, and AppleInsider has confirmed that the alert is rolling out to a wide array of users now.

"For cards with certain enhanced fraud prevention, when you attempt an online or in-app transaction, your device will evaluate information about your Apple ID, device, and location (if you have enabled Location Services), to develop fraud prevention assessments, which are used by Apple to identify and prevent fraud," the alert reads.

Users will be greeted with this popup if they have a supported card in Wallet.
Users will be greeted with this popup if they have a supported card in Wallet.

In addition, Apple says that it will share "fraud prevention assessments as well as information about your transaction" with card networks to further prevent fraud. That includes purchase amount, currency, and date.

There doesn't appear to be a way to opt out of the fraud protection features, since Apple notes that users who prevent the sharing of assessment with payment card networks will need to "select another card."

Users will notice the fraud protection alert, as well as the features, for current cares stored in their Wallet. Additionally, Apple will also alert users when they first add supported cards to Wallet.

The features appear to be rolling out for Visa users across the world. As of Thursday, there appears to be no support for MasterCard or American Express cards.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    How does this affect the Apple Card proper,  since it's a Master Card. I only carry one other credit card in my Wallet, and it's a VISA. No popup or email yet.

edited April 2022
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Yeah, I found that odd, too. They increase fraud protection but don’t include their own card?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    My BofA card had it pop up this morning, could see latest purchases on it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    electorelector Posts: 56member
    It popped up yesterday 4/20/22 on my wallet for a visa I had on the apple pay. But as others have stated "Why just visa"? The Apple Card is Mastercard but I believe it has security features built in. As I believe most credit cards do. 
    MplsP