Apple launches service program for Apple Watch Series 6 'blank screen issue

Posted:
in General Discussion
Any customer whose Apple Watch Series 6 screen has gone permanently blank will be able to request a free repair, either through Apple or an authorized service provider.

Apple Watch Series 6 in red

In a support article that went live on Friday, Apple announced a free repair program aimed at a "very small percentage" of 40mm Apple Watch Series 6 units. There is a chance that the displays on these units may go blank permanently.

Apple stated that the models exhibiting the issue were manufactured between April and September of 2021. Additionally, the company has provided a serial number checker for users to see if their device is eligible for a free screen replacement.

The program will cover models within two years of the "first retail sale," which means any affected model sold before September 18, 2022, is eligible.

The repair process will be completed by either an Apple Authorized Service Provider or at an Apple Retail Store. Apple noted that if prior damage to the watch affects the replacement, the company may charge a fee.

Apple also mentions that this program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Series 6 was first launched in September of 2020 at the company's "Time Flies" media event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I have an apple watch series 6, delivered in the time range eligible for the service program, but this is a 44mm watch, so not expected to be affected by the problem.
    My problem is that on 17th April, my watch start to display the black screen of death.  The watch seems to continue to work but the display is desperately black.
    I found this very strange that this happened just now when there is such a service program just started.  

Does anyone have also the same problem of black screen of death with the series 6 - 44mm as myself ?
    Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 2
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Another reason to always buy AppleCare when you buy an Apple product. After less than a year, my blue 44mm Series 6’s battery went crazy. Because I had AppleCare, Apple fully replaced the watch. Not just the battery, the entire watch.
    edited April 2022